pixeltracker

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread- Page 5

CAMELOT Returns to Broadway - Reviews Thread

VintageSnarker
#100Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 5/31/22 at 12:30pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "When I talk about "singers who act," it's referring to people whose main talent is singing, but can also act, just not as well. But my problem with Donica is that I don't find him terribly compelling as an actororsinger."

Having seen him in My Fair Lady and Into the Woods, I agree but maybe he'll surprise in a lead role (if he is cast as Lancelot). I still say Lauren Ambrose was Sher's most indefensible casting choice.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#101Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 5/31/22 at 1:08pm

I didn’t mind Ambrose as Eliza, but she just didn’t have the vocal stamina to handle the part 5-6 days a week — and Sher should have known better.

I still think MFL could have won Best Revival if it had opened with Benanti and Burstein, who were both vast improvements over their predecessors and also improved the performances of the other people around them.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#102Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 5/31/22 at 1:45pm

Someone else confirmed Jordon’s casting as Lancelot. What I liked about his Stars In The House appearance was that one got an insight to his personality. He and Gavin seemed to like one another. I might have chosen someone more muscular who was an unknown. Just my take.

Dollypop
#103Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/1/22 at 8:04am

Believe it or not, there's a 5 character versipn of CAMELOT that's in rehearsal to tour various venues on Long Island this summer. I just got a message asking if I was available to take over one of the roles. (I'm not)

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

binau Profile Photo
binau
#104Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/1/22 at 11:39am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "The "singers who act" problem is especially prominent in replacement casting. They're not working with the original director and are being directed by an associate director & stage manager to fit into a mold created by someone else, generally in a shorter rehearsal period without previews.

The harsh truth is pretty much nobodyis going to be equally strong as an actor and singer (and dancer). This isn't a new phenomenon –– it was probably worse in the Golden Age. The vocal performances live on in our minds through cast albums and it's easy to enhance the memory of an acting performance in your head if the vocal is good and memorable....or to assume the acting was good if you never saw it in the first place. (And opinions of how "great" a performance was can also vary depend on your seat.)
"

While I understand if you’re the 75th Elphaba Joe Mantello is not going to get out of bed for you, if you’re the 1st replacement in a production with a more artistic (vs theme park replication) sentiment, such as a Bart S LCT production, would the original director still not be involved? Eg I believe both Marin Mazzie and Bernadette worked directly with Michael Grief and Trevor Nunn when they were replacing. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 6/1/22 at 11:39 AM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#105Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/1/22 at 12:26pm

binau said: "While I understand if you’re the 75th Elphaba Joe Mantello is not going to get out of bed for you, if you’re the 1st replacement in a production with a more artistic (vs theme park replication) sentiment, such as a Bart S LCT production, would the original director still not be involved? Eg I believe both Marin Mazzie and Bernadette worked directly with Michael Grief and Trevor Nunn when they were replacing."

It entirely depends on the production. Someone like Bernadette is going to be given time with Trevor Nunn and Jerry Zaks if she is replacing. Sure, there will be some interaction with the director –– but a lot of the rehearsals are still being run by an associate and stage manager, and you're working within a blueprint created by someone else and stepping into an existing machine. (that's part of the Julie Benko problem in Funny Girl: she's performing not just in Funny Girl, but in a production of Funny Girl that has been tailored to Beanie Feldstein's strengths, and her's are quite different).

AllThatJazz2
#106Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/1/22 at 1:19pm

Does anyone have any idea of when casting or ticket sales might be announced for this yet? 

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#107Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/2/22 at 2:11am

AllThatJazz2 said: "Does anyone have any idea of when casting or ticket sales might be announced for this yet?"

LCT subscribers renew our subscriptions every June with a deadline of June 30. My experience as a subscriber is that LCT usually announces fall productions in July after subscribers have renewed giving us the first opportunity to get tickets. Ticket sales to the general public happen at least a month later. Last year, subscribers could buy tickets to Flying Over Sunset starting July 26. I suspect that an official announcement and ticket sales for Camelot will follow this pattern.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#108Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/2/22 at 10:30pm

I hope they recreate the waterfall for If Ever I Would Leave You.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#109Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 9:32am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "I didn’t mind Ambrose as Eliza, but she just didn’t have the vocal stamina to handle the part 5-6 days a week — and Sher should have known better.

I still think MFL could have won Best Revival if it had opened with Benanti and Burstein, who were both vast improvements over their predecessors and also improved the performances of the other people around them.
"

Don’t want to drag this off-topic, but must respond to two attacks on Ambrose. Bartlett Sher on casting Ambrose:

When she heard that Lincoln Center Theater was producing a revival of Lerner and Loewe’s “My Fair Lady,” which opens on Broadway on April 19, she asked to audition and landed the role of Eliza Doolittle, the headstrong flower saleswoman who trains to be a lady of society.

“She just blew everyone out of the water,” says director Bartlett Sher, who worked with Ambrose on “Awake and Sing.” “She’s just a great actress. She captures the depth, the warmth, the humor, the fire. She makes big choices. There were plenty of other people there. She was just head and shoulders ahead of everyone else.”

As for her singing, Jesse Green:

The big revelation of this production is that Ms. Ambrose has a stirring voice: lustrous and rich if without the bright ping of most Elizas. That turns out to be an advantage. She delivers her first number — “Wouldn’t It Be Loverly?” — very quietly and with an intense longing that digs beneath its surface charm to find its stillness and steel.

Lauren’s father was dying in a hospital in Connecticut during her run, and he did in fact pass away halfway through her final month. I’m sure that stress must have affected some of her appearances, and some people may be judging her off of that.

Laura Benanti has a cult following among the Broadway community. Her Eliza was very entertaining, and humorous, but it was just not Shaw’s Eliza. That guttersnipe had no self esteem. When possible marriage was mentioned, she returns “Married? Who’d marry me?” In her place Benanti does a good impression of The Unsinkable Molly Brown. Nice character. Not Shaw.

Another reason I’m not one of her best fans, that she is not the kindest person.

I remember Lauren Ambrose’s casting being met with vitriol on Twitter, particularly from Laura Benanti’s fans. Benanti, they reasoned, should have gotten the part instead, because she has more stage experience under her belt, she has the voice for it, and Eliza happens to be her dream role. Fans took to Twitter to mock the choice, announcing that they would not be seeing the show with this kind of actress as the lead. Benanti, in a show of unprofessionalism, publicly liked a few of the Tweets trashing Ambrose, despite the fact that none of us had ever heard Ambrose sing the score before.

ElphabaGoodman
#110Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 9:53am

I have heard that Ashley Park has been cast as Guenevere 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#111Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 9:54am

I thought Laura Benanti's cockney accent was awful, and I saw her several months into her run, so, even though her singing voice wasn't nearly as strong, I preferred Lauren Ambrose, who acted the part better, in my opinion. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#112Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 11:10am

ElphabaGoodman said: "I have heard that Ashley Park has been cast as Guenevere"

I think Ashley Park has the potential to be very good for this part. Hoping she's in good voice, though...she's just okay on the K&I album.

Who's Arthur?

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#113Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 11:18am

I know the production has in recent weeks been 'looking' at some talent based in Europe for a couple of roles, including Guinevere. What I had heard was that they wanted that role to be played by someone quite young. Early 20s. It could have been purely exploratory - maybe Sher was curious what qualities an actual French/Welsh (Guinevere's supposed lineage) performer might bring to the role, but this seems very counter to the idea of Ashley Park.  Of course, Sher has famously had very different performer types in final callbacks for his shows.  The final three for Nellie Forbush were reportedly Kelli O'Hara, Celia Keenan Bolger and Victoria Clark - totally different types (and ages).

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#114Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 1:58pm

I hope they utilize the movie arrangement for "The Lusty Month of May" - all the "Tra-La-Las" in the original stage version get on my last damn nerve. 

BCfitasafiddle
#115Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 2:05pm

ElphabaGoodman said: "I have heard that Ashley Park has been cast as Guenevere"

So glad she'll be back onstage in New York. 

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#116Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 2:07pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "ElphabaGoodman said: "I have heard that Ashley Park has been cast as Guenevere"

I think Ashley Park has the potential to be very good for this part. Hoping she's in good voice, though...she's just okay on the K&I album.

Who's Arthur?
"

Apparently Mathew Rhys was Arthur in the last workshop, he sounds like a great fit.

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#117Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 2:39pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Denee Benton for Guenevere?"

my first thought as well. 

Peter Dinklage as Arthur

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#118Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 2:46pm

henrikegerman said: "Call_me_jorge said: "Denee Benton forGuenevere?"

my first thought as well.

Peter Dinklage as Arthur

"

This...is...BRILLIANT !

henrikegerman
#119Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 2:49pm

I loved Ambrose as Eliza and find it hard to not say so again now that the subject has once more come up.  Indeed, I much preferred her to Benanti. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#120Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 2:52pm

CarlosAlberto said: "I hope they utilize the movie arrangement for "The Lusty Month of May" - all the "Tra-La-Las" in the original stage version get on my last damn nerve."

Wondering how the score will be handled for this revisal –– Any cut songs or additions of L&L "trunk songs"?New arrangements/orchestrations to go alongside the revised book?

I've always found "I Loved You Once In Silence" to be a complete dirge...but cutting it gives Guenevere little to do in Act 2 aside from Simple Folk.

henrikegerman
#121Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 3:11pm

Would be very happy with Ashley Park.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#122Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 4:40pm

henrikegerman said: "Would be very happy with Ashley Park."

I think this is a rumor.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#123Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 7:42pm

I should add that I thought Benanti owned the role of Amalia in She Loves Me. (Never saw Barbara Cook)

A lot of young talent in New York never gets a chance. Wish they would cast more 20 year-olds in the roles of 20 year-olds.. Julie Andrews, Barbara Cook, Streisand, Sutton Foster.

Full Many a Rose is Born to Blush Unseen,

And Waste its Sweetness on the Desert Air. 

Grey's Elegy

thedrybandit
#124Sorkin and Sher to revive CAMELOT for Broadway
Posted: 6/3/22 at 9:07pm

UWS10023 said: "henrikegerman said: "Would be very happy with Ashley Park."

I think this is a rumor.
"

I can't confirm that she's going to be in this production, but she was 100% in the workshop for it last year.