pixeltracker

West End CABARET Revival (and B’way Transfer?) - News & Discussion Thread- Page 2

West End CABARET Revival (and B’way Transfer?) - News & Discussion Thread

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#25West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 4:08pm

The decision to make transparent a star's absences (planned or otherwise) is completely the jurisdiction of the producer, not the performer.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

JasonC3
#26West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 4:22pm

QueenAlice said: "The decision to make transparent a star's absences (planned or otherwise) is completely the jurisdiction of the producer, not the performer."

If this was directed at me, please note I never singled out anyone for blame.

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#27West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 4:51pm

Not directed to anyone, in particular.  Only to point out as a generalization, you can't blame a performer for not publicizing their absences.  In fact, all aspects of a performer publicizing their performance is subject to the wishes of the producers.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

binau Profile Photo
binau
#28West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 5:04pm

I genuinely hope she is well and can perform the role in New York. Even though I thought it was a little over the top at times I think it does deserve to be seen and would love to know what people think. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#29West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 6:49pm

Would be great to have this production on Broadway but am ok if they don’t cast Buckley. I thought her version was too over the top.

I personally preferred the Mendes version (volunteer ushered at studio54 a few times just so I could watch it back in 2001-2003) and saw it again twice in 2014 when I can finally afford to buy table seats!

i went to London back in November to see this production and had a great experience. I can see it work at the Hudson or Circle in the Square.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#30West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 6:54pm

Wick3 said: "Would be great to have this production on Broadway but am ok if they don’t cast Buckley. I thought her version was too over the top.

I personally preferred the Mendes version (volunteer ushered at studio54 a few times just so I could watch it back in 2001-2003) and saw it again twice in 2014 when I can finally afford to buy table seats!

iwent to London back in November to see this production and had a great experience. I can see it work at the Hudson or Circle in the Square.
"

Far less expensive to use the Hudson's existing seating and add on to instead of building a whole new theater at Circle.

AngeliqueC
#31West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 10:13pm

Aaron Tveit has previously expressed interest in playing the Emcee. With his time at Moulin Rouge coming to an end, he’d be available. And while it likely is just a total coincidence, he did just perform Mein Herr for Miscast. 

A Canadian in NYC Profile Photo
A Canadian in NYC
#32West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 10:28pm

I’d love to see Jonathan Groff as Emcee!  

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#33West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/6/22 at 11:32pm

I was just thinking that same thing!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#34West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/7/22 at 3:07am

QueenAlice said: "Not directed to anyone, in particular. Only to point out as a generalization, you can't blame a performer for not publicizing their absences. In fact, all aspects of a performer publicizing their performance is subject to the wishes of the producers."

Yet, not knowing is bad optics. Yes, their prerogative, but doesn't reflect well on her.

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#35West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/7/22 at 8:06am

RippedMan said: 

Far less expensive to use the Hudson's existing seating and add on to instead of building a whole new theater at Circle."

Having never seen a show at the Hudson - what is it about that theatre that would lend itself to this production of Cabaret? From pictures it looks like a very typical proscenium house with Mezz and Balcony.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#36West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/7/22 at 8:34am

FANtomFollies said: "Having never seen a show at the Hudson - what is it about that theatre that would lend itself to this production of Cabaret? From pictures it looks like a very typical proscenium house with Mezz and Balcony."

I saw Head Over Heels there like 3 1/2 years ago. It's very intimate which is needed to turn it into the Kit Kat Club. They will have to take out all the seats in the orchestra and create two makeshift seat levels on the stage side if they want to fully replicate the "in the round" experience. I think it's possible. Just hope they actually go ahead with it. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#37West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/7/22 at 9:07am

I can't imagine Redmayne not making this a hit. And the immersive production sounds brilliant, but yes, a union headache, especially during covid.

I hope it comes in.

Theatrefanboy1
#38West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/7/22 at 10:00am

Im gonna say that this show is gonna need “stars” to sell it.  I wonder if like a Harry Styles or Timothee Chalamet or Andrew Garfield could pull it off. I find it difficult to cast Sally because there really are few actresses now I find that have that Liza or Chita or Bebe Neuwirth to them. I had originally thought someone like a Karen Olivio but she’s struggled to ever stay in a show for a long run.  

Updated On: 4/7/22 at 10:00 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#39West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/7/22 at 10:11am

1. I agree that it will need at least one BIIIIIIG name, to make a decent run.

2. don't forget, Olivio quit Broadway.  AGAIN.  (But I actually don't see her in this.)

3. I don't think any of the men you listed have the stamina for Bway.  (Doesn't mean they couldn't get there.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Dylan Smith4
#40West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/7/22 at 10:14am

If Harry Styles is the Emcee, you can expect me there! I would love to see Lilly James as Sally Bowles!

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#41West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/7/22 at 10:36am

With all the money they just recently spent to reopen that theater, are they really going to shell out the cash to totally renovate it again?

Dylan Smith4
#42West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/7/22 at 11:22am

Jordan Catalano said: "With all the money they just recently spent to reopen that theater, are they really going to shell out the cash to totally renovate it again?"

If the demand for this show is high, maybe. 

jimmycurry01
#43West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/7/22 at 11:42am

Theatrefanboy1 said: "Im gonna say that this show is gonna need “stars” to sell it. I wonder if like a Harry Styles or Timothee Chalamet or Andrew Garfield could pull it off. I find it difficult to cast Sally because there really are few actresses now I find that have that Liza or Chita or Bebe Neuwirth to them. I had originally thought someone like a Karen Olivio but she’s struggled to ever stay in a show for a long run. "

While Liza is great in the film version of Cabaret, one should not look for a Liza in the stage version. The role of Sally is quite different on stage than she is on screen, and I think someone like Liza would feel very out of place in the stage version.

TravisOKC
#44West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/7/22 at 12:26pm

This might be a stretch in casting, and would do really well with name recognition, but with if Noah Reid and Emily Hampshire were cast in the show?  We've had a preview of what they could do with it from Schitts Creek.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#45West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/10/22 at 4:38pm

It’s being discussed in the Olivier thread, but Eddie and Jessie are among CABARET’S Olivier wins today.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#46West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/10/22 at 4:54pm

They won best revival, best director, and swept all four acting categories. I have to imagine that this is another when-not-if situation at this point and that if that it would be pretty likely they bring over the Olivier winning actors. 

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#47West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/10/22 at 5:12pm

Considering Eddie and Jessie have both won Olivier’s for their performances, I find it unlikely they’d be replaced if this transfers over.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#48West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/10/22 at 5:19pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Considering Eddie and Jessie have both won Olivier’s for their performances, I find it unlikely they’d be replaced if this transfers over."

I think it just depends on their schedules. In London they performed at the KitKat club from mid-November to mid-March (4 months). I'd imagine producers would want them to perform at least through Tony Award season (March-June). 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#49West End CABARET Eyeing Broadway Transfer to the Hudson?
Posted: 4/10/22 at 5:54pm

For such a small show, it's actually quite big, yes? The set is a turntable/elevator? And all the backstage stuff. I was going to say they could do a prestigious non-profit off-Broadway and do a limited run, but this seems more like a commercial route.