pixeltracker

Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions

Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#3Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/21/22 at 6:54pm

It’s a shame this show’s legacy will probably be its controversies, and not what a spectacular production it was.

UrNotAMachine
#4Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/21/22 at 6:55pm

All I want is for some producers to turn a downtown dive bar into a Russian supper club and have this show play there in perpetuity.

Kitsune Profile Photo
Kitsune
#5Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/21/22 at 7:01pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "It’s a shame this show’s legacy will probably be its controversies, and not what a spectacular production it was."

I'm hoping the controversies will have less power over time, but I agree with the sentiment. When I saw the headline my first thought was "This show deserves better."

Shotgun Players in Berkeley is doing a production this December in a small house. As much as I enjoyed the spectacle of the Broadway production, I think the material will really shine in a more intimate setting.

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#6Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/21/22 at 7:31pm

UrNotAMachine said: "All I want is for some producers to turn a downtown dive bar into a Russian supper club and have this show play there in perpetuity."

That’s I loved about the tent they had when it was off-Bway.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#7Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/21/22 at 7:31pm

If anything, the Kagan drama probably just makes Malloy less likely to want to have his work produced commercially. (Which has been rumored or perhaps even discussed by DM in the press.) Which is a damn shame, because there are far better producers out there and commercial producing is the only way his work will get seen by the masses. Even if it’s not a financial hit. 

curiousincident
#8Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/21/22 at 9:27pm

Does Dave Malloy not have an agent?? They're usually pretty good about these kinds of things 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/21/22 at 9:33pm

curiousincident said: "Does Dave Malloy not have an agent?? They're usually pretty good about these kinds of things"

Of course he does. And the agency has no doubt been working on this for months and advised Malloy that a lawsuit was the best way forward.

MadsonMelo
#10Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 12:03am

Kitsune said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "It’s a shame this show’s legacy will probably be its controversies, and not what a spectacular production it was."

I'm hoping the controversies will have less power over time, but I agree with the sentiment. When I saw the headline my first thought was "This show deserves better."

Shotgun Players in Berkeley is doing a production this December in a small house. As much as I enjoyed the spectacle of the Broadway production, I think the material will really shine in a more intimate setting.
"

There was a production here in Brazil at a 350-seat theater and it was simply stunning

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#11Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 12:16am

EDIT: nvm, I made a joke but maybe in poor taste

In all seriousness, good for Malloy for standing up to them.

It's a shame that some people feel this is the show's enduring legacy - my main associations with Comet remain rooted in the brilliance of the material. It will go down in history as one of the great masterworks of the 2010s, and people will remember it for that long after they remember this BS

Updated On: 4/22/22 at 12:16 AM

SouthernCakes
#12Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 1:18am

The tent was amazing but really loved the Broadway production. It took a Sleep No More approach for a big scale Broadway musical. 

Hopefully it gets another life down the line. 

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#13Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 10:34am

I found the Broadway production bloated. The frenetic staging pulled focus from the score and felt like Cirque Du Soleil. Too much money was poured into a cult hit. I think Dave lost control of the reins. I didn't care for it at all. It became very clear after Groban left that the public's interest in this property was limited at best. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 10:48am

Bettyboy72 said: "It became very clear after Groban left that the public's interest in this property was limited at best."

Well yeah. It's an extremely esoteric musical and was basically known to the public as "the Josh Groban show" and bellyflopped immediately after his departure.

It would be really interesting to see a smaller production of it without audience interaction.

UrNotAMachine
#15Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 11:42am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "It would be really interesting to see a smaller production of it without audience interaction."

I mean, I'm all for a smaller-scale production, but the audience-interaction aspect has been baked into the show from the very first staging. But I agree something was lost in the transfer to Broadway, and he scale and spectacle of the production sometimes felt at odds with the actual material. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#16Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 11:50am

ColorTheHours048 said: "It’s a shame this show’s legacy will probably be its controversies, and not what a spectacular production it was."

Agreed. I love this show but it is mired in so much mierde and it's legacy is damaged because of it. 

trpguyy
#17Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 12:24pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Bettyboy72 said: "It became very clear after Groban left that the public's interest in this property was limited at best."

Well yeah. It's an extremely esoteric musical and was basically known to the public as "the Josh Groban show" and bellyflopped immediately after his departure.

It would be really interesting to see a smaller production of it without audience interaction.
"

It also didn’t help that the production was actively sabotaged by certain prominent members of the Broadway community. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#18Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 12:39pm

trpguyy said: "It also didn’t help that the production was actively sabotaged by certain prominent members of the Broadway community."

Yes, that's what we call "eating your own."

But the reality is that even without the Twitter sabotaging, it would have closed soon after Patinkin's run (which was only going to be less than a month). They were running on fumes and there are a finite number of bona fide stars who would have been willing to go into that show as a replacement. It was an ugly ending, but the show wouldn't have lasted much longer.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#19Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 12:43pm

Agreed, I've never understood the appeal, and I LOVE out-of-the-box, auteuristic work. I found it overwrought and confusing. Would have loved to see it off-Broadway in the tent.

Oops, didn't quote @bettyboy

Updated On: 4/22/22 at 12:43 PM

willep
#20Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 12:47pm

Seeing it in the tent will forever be a theatre going highlight for me (though I did also love it on Broadway). It had the added bonus of being my introduction to Shaina Taub, who I’ve been a fan of ever since.

UrNotAMachine
#21Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 3:20pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "But the reality is that even without the Twitter sabotaging, it would have closed soon after Patinkin's run (which was only going to be less than a month). They were running on fumes and there are a finite number of bona fide stars who would have been willing to go into that show as a replacement. It was an ugly ending, but the show wouldn't have lasted much longer."

To be fair, there was no shortage of great potential Pierres that could have taken over after Patinkin's run to keep the show afloat. I mean, it's not exactly the most demanding role in the world (aside for the accordion playing that Oak had trouble with). The problem is that the twitter drama made it so no actor would touch the role with a ten-foot pole, because they feared the potential backlash.

Personally, I would have killed to see Raul Esparza or John Gallagher Jr play Pierre.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#22Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 3:32pm

UrNotAMachine said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "But the reality is that even without the Twitter sabotaging, it would have closed soon after Patinkin's run (which was only going to be less than a month). They were running on fumes and there are a finite number of bona fide stars who would have been willing to go into that show as a replacement. It was an ugly ending, but the show wouldn't have lasted much longer."

To be fair, there was no shortage of great potential Pierres that could have taken over after Patinkin's run to keep the show afloat. I mean, it's not exactly the most demanding role in the world (aside for the accordion playing that Oak had trouble with). The problem is that the twitter drama made it so no actor would touch the role with a ten-foot pole, because they feared the potential backlash.

Personally, I would have killed to see Raul Esparza or John Gallagher Jr play Pierre.
"

Both of whom would not sell any tickets. The show was massively expensive. They needed a performer playing Pierre who sold out arenas and sold full price tickets. The typical c-list stunt casting (Joey McIntyre, Taye Diggs, Darren Criss, etc) would never cut it. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#23Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 4:34pm

Personally I’d say Pierre’s a fairly demanding role. Even if you cut out the accordion and piano playing, it still asks for a strong, wide vocal range and the actor only gets the leave the stage at intermission. With that being said though, Anatole is probably a more challenging part than the show’s actual leads.

Anyway, I seriously wonder what the search for Groban’s replacement was like. If they had played their cards right I figure they could’ve gotten a big enough name to come in. And even if they botched the search and had slim pickings, I really find it hard to imagine Oak was the most financially viable choice.

DaveyG
#24Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 5:07pm

UrNotAMachine said: "ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "It would be really interesting to see a smaller production of it without audience interaction."

I mean, I'm all for a smaller-scale production, but the audience-interaction aspect has been baked into the show from the very first staging. But I agree something was lost in the transfer to Broadway, and he scale and spectacle of the production sometimes felt at odds with the actual material.
"

I only saw it uptown and felt similar to how I felt about Hadestown: beautiful to look at and pleasant to listen to. However, I didn’t feel an ounce of emotional connection towards any character so it left me completely cold.

JustAnotherNewYorker
#25Dave Malloy is suing GREAT COMET producers over unpaid royalties for int'l productions
Posted: 4/22/22 at 10:54pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "trpguyy said: "It also didn’t help that the production was actively sabotaged by certain prominent members of the Broadway community."

Yes, that's what we call "eating your own."

But the reality is that even without the Twitter sabotaging, it would have closed soon after Patinkin's run (which was only going to be less than a month). They were running on fumes and there are a finite number of bona fide stars who would have been willing to go into that show as a replacement. It was an ugly ending, but the show wouldn't have lasted much longer.
"

I was hoping they'd get Weird Al to take over for Patinkin