pixeltracker

The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!

The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#1The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 12:36pm

With this change, Nederlander will have fulfilled its agreement with Black Theater United to rename a theatre for a Black artist. "The Nederlanders said the name change should take place this fall, but that the exact date will depend on when the new marquee signage is ready."

"She appeared in five Broadway shows, including the long-running “Lena Horne: The Lady and Her Music,” which in the early 1980s had a 346-performance run at the Nederlander Theater, followed by a tour. In 1958 she became the first African American woman to be nominated for a Tony Award for best actress in a musical, for her work in “Jamaica”; in 1981 she was granted a special Tony Award for “The Lady and Her Music.”"

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/09/theater/lena-horne-broadway.html

Updated On: 6/9/22 at 12:36 PM

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 12:56pm

WOW! Exciting!

Oh look, a bibu!

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#4The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 1:06pm

Very cool. 

If someone could clarify, of her 5 Broadway credits, were 3 of them as a singer, not really acting roles?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

VintageSnarker
#5The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 1:19pm

I love her music. This is an excellent choice.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#6The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 1:22pm

Amazing and I think her being the first Black Actress nominated for a Tony is awesome. Can't wait to see the new Marquee. 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#7The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 1:24pm

Wow! This is crazy! Really, it should be the Nederlander, as that is where 'Lady and Her Music' played, if any (IMO). 

This is great news! I guess all that's left is Jujamcyn...although, I hope it's not the St. James.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 1:26pm

fashionguru_23 said: "Wow! This is crazy! Really, it should be the Nederlander, as that is where 'Lady and Her Music' played, if any (IMO).

This is great news! I guess all that's left is Jujamcyn...although, I hope it's not the St. James.
"

Jujamcyn has the August Wilson, though they could go the extra mile and rename another after a Black artist, if they so choose. 

Oh look, a bibu!

OhHiii
#9The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 1:32pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "fashionguru_23 said: "Jujamcyn has the August Wilson, though they could go the extra mile and rename another after a Black artist, if they so choose."

Honoring Black artists isn't an "extra mile" it's a starting point.

Dollypop
#10The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 1:34pm

I loved Lena Horne's work but why not Pearl Bailey or Ruby Dee or Cicely Tyson?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 6/9/22 at 01:34 PM

Ke3
#11The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 1:37pm

Lena Horne: The Lady and Her Music is still the one woman show with the longest Broadway run of all time. I think this is a good pick.

jagman1062 Profile Photo
jagman1062
#12The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 1:53pm

fashionguru_23 said: "Wow! This is crazy! Really, it should be the Nederlander, as that is where 'Lady and Her Music' played, if any (IMO).

"

I agree with you. The first thing I thought when I read the news was, "Why not the Nederlander?" I'm generally not a fan of renaming theaters that are already named for someone else unless it was named for someone who simply owned the theater. It should have been the Nederlander. Regardless, Lena Horne deserves the honor.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 1:58pm

The Nederlander is their flagship namesake theater. Atkinson was a critic, so.... I think they chose the right theater! 

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#14The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 2:07pm

Dollypop said: "I loved Lena Horne's work but why not Pearl Bailey or Ruby Dee or Cicely Tyson?"

Very good point as Lena’s Broadway credits are mostly as a performer not acting roles, unlike the names you mentioned, which were indeed actresses who played characters in stage productions and with more Broadway credits, too.  

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#15The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 2:12pm

Dollypop said: "I loved Lena Horne's work but why not Pearl Bailey or Ruby Dee or Cicely Tyson?"

Because this decision came down to Jimmy Nederlander, he knew Lena Horne, and this is what he chose.

I don’t expect we’re getting another renaming out of Jujamcyn, though if anything perhaps they’d rename the Kerr. Again, any renaming would be Jordan Roth’s unilateral decision to make.

Separate from the diversity mandate, I would not be surprised if at some point Roth named a house for his close friend and queer icon Harvey Fierstein –– or even a house named after his mother.

Updated On: 6/9/22 at 02:12 PM

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#16The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 2:58pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Dollypop said: "I loved Lena Horne's work but why not Pearl Bailey or Ruby Dee or Cicely Tyson?"

Because this decision came down to Jimmy Nederlander, he knew Lena Horne, and this is what he chose.

I don’t expect we’re getting another renaming out of Jujamcyn, though if anything perhaps they’d rename the Kerr. Again, any renaming would be Jordan Roth’s unilateral decision to make.

Separate from the diversity mandate,I would not be surprised if at some point Roth named a house for his close friend and queer icon Harvey Fierstein –– or even a house named after his mother.
"

Isn't the Daryl Roth named after his mother?

As to the choice, I do love Horne but with so few credits, and most of them non-acting, I don't know, it just doesn't feel "Broadway" to me.

In the meantime, there better be some thought to more queer and other races. Yes to Fierstein, and a sí to Chita Rivera! 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 3:02pm

everythingtaboo said: "Isn't the Daryl Roth named after his mother?"

Yup, she owns that off-Broadway venue and named it after herself. Though Peter Jay Sharp has his name on venues at BAM, Lincoln Center, Playwrights Horizons, and Symphony Space, and David Geffen has lots of named venues across the country, so that wouldn't necessarily prevent a Broadway house in her name should Jordan choose to do that.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#18The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 5:53pm

We will probably see 2nd Stage rename the (Helen) Hayes at some point. They were hoping for someone to donate enough for naming rights, which never happened, and they may still be holding out for that...or they could opt to name it for a playwright.

AndreyIsntHere Profile Photo
AndreyIsntHere
#19The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 7:58pm

I’m biased as a Hadestown fan, but I’d love to see the Walter Kerr theatre renamed to the André de Shields theatre. While it’s true Jujamcyn Theatres already has a house named after August Wilson, I thought that part of the New Deal was to rename at least one house, period, regardless of any pre-existing names? Either way, you can never have too many theatres named after Black artists/performers.

I also think the Broadway Theatre should be renamed, period. The name is so confusing and redundant!

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#20The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 8:39pm

So happy with this decision. Horne deserves this honor.  

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#21The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 9:57pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "fashionguru_23 said: "Wow! This is crazy! Really, it should be the Nederlander, as that is where 'Lady and Her Music' played, if any (IMO).

"

Jujamcyn has the August Wilson, though they could go the extra mile and rename another after a Black artist, if they so choose.
"

LOL extra mile - Jujamcyn only owns 5 Theaters so not necessary and won't happen after the Virginia being renamed the Wilson

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

UncleCharlie
#22The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/9/22 at 9:57pm

AndreyIsntHere said: "I’m biased as a Hadestown fan, but I’d love to see the Walter Kerr theatre renamed to the André de Shields theatre!"

James Earl Jones say hello!

OffOnBwayHi
#23The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/10/22 at 12:14am

UncleCharlie said: "AndreyIsntHere said: "I’m biased as a Hadestown fan, but I’d love to see the Walter Kerr theatre renamed to the André de Shields theatre!"

James Earl Jones say hello!
"

It’s already been announced that the Cort will be named after James Earl Jones when it reopens.

OffOnBwayHi
#24The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/10/22 at 12:23am

I think Lena is a cool choice. Unexpected, but great choice.

I think we should forget about Jujamcyn renaming another theater, and I think rightfully so. All their theaters are named after people I think were greatly influential to the industry and should stay attached. I’m saying this as a Black person fyi.

If another theater is renamed anywhere on Broadway, it could be the American Airlines (disgusting name that I think we can all agree should change), the New Amsterdam, Broadway, or The Palace (!!!) when it reopens.

I also agree we need other people of color in the future. Chita Rivera Theater is a MUST tbh.

fredric47
#25The Brooks Atkinson Theatre gets a new name: The Lena Horne Theatre!
Posted: 6/10/22 at 1:54am

I don't think the Brooks Atkinson Theatre should be renamed. Mr. Atkinson was the leading theatre critic of his day and should have the continuing honor of having a theatre named for him. It is the Nederlander Theatre where Lena Horne played in her one woman concert, "The Lady and Her Music" that should be renamed for her.