pixeltracker

TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins

TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/14/22 at 4:16pm

Gotta love LaChanze as a producer!

Oh look, a bibu!

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#3TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/14/22 at 4:22pm

I have no idea what this is but I will see Corey Hawkins in just about anything. He was sensational in Six Degrees of Separation.

Updated On: 6/14/22 at 04:22 PM

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#4TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/14/22 at 4:51pm

Between two shows in the new Public season and this, Suzan-Lori Parks is blowing up my theater feed today.

willrolandsframes
#5TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/14/22 at 5:17pm

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.php?thread=1153356

Based on what Kenny Leon said on the Tony's Red Carpet, supposedly this is the first of FOUR Broadway productions he'll be helming this year, including OHIO STATE MURDERS with Audra MacDonald, a TBD production this spring at the American Airlines, and the anticipated Broadway transfer of TRADING PLACES.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#6TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/14/22 at 5:21pm

Am I the only one who’s super excited to see Yahya Abdul Mateen II on Broadway??

Fantastic news all around! 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#7TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/14/22 at 6:45pm

Corey was sensational in "Six Degrees of Separation" and the "In The Heights" movie, as well as being one of the nicest celebrities I've ever met. 

Also, Yahya is definitely nice to look at. So I'm already sold...

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#8TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/14/22 at 8:09pm

I saw the original with Jeffrey Wright and Mos Def. A gripping piece of work.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/14/22 at 8:53pm

Yahya Abdul-Mateen II is one of the most exciting rising-star film actors working today. Can't wait to see this.

It will be interesting to see how this fares at the box office, if they can bring in full-priced ticketbuying fans who don't ordinarily go to the theatre.

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#10TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/14/22 at 10:41pm

Two brilliant rising stars, this sounds like it should be great 

troynow
EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#12TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/14/22 at 11:07pm

troynow said: "Was I right again..."

You betcha... our #1 Broadway real estate consultant!

Oh look, a bibu!

Wee Thomas2 Profile Photo
Wee Thomas2
#13TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/15/22 at 8:32am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I saw the original with Jeffrey Wright and Mos Def. A gripping piece of work."

I was describing this to a friend on Monday.  Then I looked up to see if Mos Def was still acting and it seems he has given up the arts to become an activist

OffOnBwayHi
#14TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/17/22 at 9:04am

n2nbaby said: "I have no idea what this is but I will see Corey Hawkins in just about anything. He was sensational in Six Degrees of Separation."

It’s a thrilling masterpiece. A must see.

I read the play a couple of years ago and now hate I did. Go in blind. You won’t regret.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#15TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/17/22 at 9:47am

I am excited for this. But why Kenny Leon? Again?

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#16TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/17/22 at 11:03am

How exciting! I saw it done regionally it when I was in high school a couple times (the actors playing Booth and Lincoln swapped roles every night, so I wanted to go back and see the opposite pairing) and it was thrilling. I remember the stage being covered in a metal cage and it was a very explosive production - lots of thrown props and physical acting. They’re both exceptional actors, and Kenny Leon is an exceptional director, so this should be great.

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#17TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/17/22 at 11:39am

Kenny Leon is very hit or miss for me, and I think even the best work I've seen from him has been "good not great."

Granted, I've only seen 6 of his shows, only going back to 2018-ish. So I guess my sample size is limited. I feel like I missed out on the peak of his career, but I really haven't been impressed with his recent work - which tends to feel pretty unimaginative, often lackluster, with inconsistent acting. 

I'm not hugely worried about his attachment to this production, though. The text is strong, and the actors are really talented, and will have no trouble holding their own. It's not the sort of project that will demand much from the director, and Leon doesn't seem like the type to interfere with something that already works on its own. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#18TOPDOG/UNDERDOG Will Return to Broadway This Fall with Yahya Abdul-Mateen II and Corey Hawkins
Posted: 6/17/22 at 12:23pm

JBroadway said: "I'm not hugely worried about his attachment to this production, though. The text is strong, and the actors are really talented, and will have no trouble holding their own. It's not the sort of project that will demand much from the director, and Leon doesn't seem like the type to interfere with something that already works on its own."

This is my general feeling about Leon. He is not a director who –– to put it crassly –– can "polish a turd" in the way that sometimes Alex Timbers or Susan Stroman can. But when he's working with a good script and good actors, he can coax great performances out of them. Even something like AMERICAN SON, which isn't a great play, was a very "watchable" production under his direction.

Kenny Leon is a lowkey director. He's not one of those types of who micromanages everything, which makes him good for plays and more naturalistic work, but not necessarily for musicals.