pixeltracker

& JULIET On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 9

& JULIET On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

DramaTeach Profile Photo
DramaTeach
#200& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/10/22 at 7:23am

Well, I saw it and liked it, but I’m not quite as enthusiastic as the rest of you (or the audience, for that matter).

Enjoyed:

1) The book - cleverly done and very funny. The way songs were woven in was in moments, brilliant.

2) The set - vibrant and the perfect combination of modern, renaissance, and “set pieces.”

Where I’m Conflicted:

1) Songs - these are Broadway voices singing pop songs, and while they were good, I didn’t think that their voices were given a chance to shine in those songs. Especially Betsy Wolfe and Paolo Szot (more about him later).

2) Preachy messages - yes, women should have choice and volition, and LGBTQ stories deserve a spotlight, but it felt preachy (like most messages in shows now).

3) I actually really enjoyed the secret relationship between May and Frankie, but “I’m Not a Girl (Not Yet a Woman)” and “I Kissed a Girl” was confusing, but maybe that’s my own misunderstandings. If May is non-binary, why would they keep referring to her in the feminine (I understand it’s in the lyrics).

4) This is basically Something Rotten and Moulin Rouge’s love child, so it didn’t feel entirely fresh.

Not a Fan:

1) The actress playing the Nurse and Paolo Szot as Frankie’s dad felt ridiculous and not in funny, enjoyable way.

Overall, I liked it. It embraced its insanity and was fun. The audience was clearly having a good time. 

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#201& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/10/22 at 9:21am

DramaTeach said: "3) I actually really enjoyed the secret relationship between May and Frankie, but “I’m Not a Girl (Not Yet a Woman)” and “I Kissed a Girl” was confusing, but maybe that’s my own misunderstandings. If May is non-binary, why would they keep referring to her in the feminine (I understand it’s in the lyrics)"

I've heard this comment before, people saying that &Juliet doesn't really adknowledge the sexuality of May. I guess my question is, why do we need to know? Why can't we just enjoy the story of two people finding themselves and falling in love?

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

hearthemsing22
#202& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/10/22 at 10:01am

Voter said: "I really want to see this show. I am going to do the TodayTix rush soon. Just wondering if anyone has done it and how were the seats?"

I wasn't able to get the rush tickets, but did attempt to, and the seat was Orch row A seat 6! 

BritCrit
#203& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/10/22 at 12:48pm

fashionguru_23 said: "DramaTeach said: "3) I actually really enjoyed the secret relationship between May and Frankie, but “I’m Not a Girl (Not Yet a Woman)” and “I Kissed a Girl” was confusing, but maybe that’s my own misunderstandings. If May is non-binary, why would they keep referring to her in the feminine (I understand it’s in the lyrics)"

I've heard this comment before, people saying that &Juliet doesn't really adknowledge the sexuality of May. I guess my question is, why do we need to know? Why can't we just enjoy the story of two people finding themselves and falling in love?

"

I think the simplest thing to do is identify May as being "Gender Fluid" as much as non-binary, so using female pronouns during pivotal moments feels like a validation of that identity. At the end of the day, May's subplot is simply one element of a show with about a dozen story threads, but is still given enough weight to stand out. May's arc is the story of a character gaining confidence* in their unusual gender identity, and finding the ideal partner as a result, still feels like a triumph. 

(* - It seems to me that all the protagonists of & Juliet either gain the confidence to stand up for themselves - Francois, May, Angelique and Anne Hathway/April - or learn to become more mature and responsible - Shakespeare, Romeo, Lance - with Juliet herself developing in both areas. For all the chaos of the story, this does provide a pleasingly coherent and resonant underlying theme.) 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#204& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/11/22 at 6:54pm

Fascinating Max Martin article in the NYT today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/11/arts/music/max-martin-and-juliet.html

Oh look, a bibu!

Mitch101
#205& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/11/22 at 8:46pm

It was rehearsed. Every show does it now at their first preview during the bows. 

JanMaxwellsBag Profile Photo
JanMaxwellsBag
#206& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/11/22 at 9:37pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Fascinating Max Martin article in the NYT today:

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/11/11/arts/music/max-martin-and-juliet.html
"

It made me chuckle reading that the only musical he’d seen before developing & Juliet was Mamma Mia!. Very on brand. 

I could use a prince to save me from my prince.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#207& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/14/22 at 5:40am

I saw this Saturday night (understudy on for Romeo), and liked it. A lot. Found it laugh out loud funny and often clever. That being said, I thought act two had some terribly preachy moments that were just too much (not the messages themselves, but the delivery).  I enjoyed the costumes greatly, too. Found the set overly big, more style than substance. 

I was in the orchestra, row E, all the way to house left....only felt like I missed a few things, nothing major (sound was excellent).

Szot was a hoot....as someone mentioned earlier, he seemed to be having a blast. I liked Angelique, but often couldn't understand her dialogue. 

Here's an odd observation. The curtain calls seemed "off" to me. (I know they aren't a huge deal, but still...) 1. Why does Romeo bow AFTER  Frankie and May? Seems reversed. 2. Likewise, during Frankie & May's bow, it seems like May should have the latter bow. No idea why my mind keeps going to this!

I dont like jukebox musicals in general...but this worked far better than most. I did not like the screamers in the house, which I fear is simply going to get worse as more teens show up on repeat. This isn't a show I think I'd go back to myself, but we really had a good time. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

rachelfran
#208& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/15/22 at 3:17pm

I saw the matinee last Saturday and saw Daniel Maldonado  for Romeo also. He was terrific.  I was not expecting much. I thought it would be dumb but I recently lost my husband and my brother and sister in law were going and I needed to get out of the house.   

Talk about the right show at the right time.  I laughed so hard and I wasn't alone by any means. It had been a long time since I laughed that hard and just let go and had fun. It was a joy seeing the rest of the crowd enjoy it as much and I really saw the potential for them to build an audience that would attend repeatedly.  It felt like a lowbrow Something Rotten.  Also something that teens and preteens would really love, too.

Definite nominations for Melanie La Barrie & Betsy Wolfe.  Maybe Lorna & Paulo.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#209& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/15/22 at 3:20pm

It is my secret desire for Brian Littrell or Justin Timberlake to be stunt-cast as Shakespeare sometime down the line (maybe both at different points?).

Oh look, a bibu!

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#210& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/15/22 at 3:43pm

rachelfran said: "I saw the matinee last Saturday and saw Daniel Maldonado for Romeo also. He was terrific. I was not expecting much. I thought it would be dumb but I recently lost my husband and my brother and sister in law were going and I needed to get out of the house.

Talk about the right show at the right time. I laughed so hard and I wasn't alone by any means. It had been a long time since I laughed that hard and just let go and had fun. It was a joy seeing the rest of the crowd enjoy it as much and I really saw the potential for them to build an audience that would attend repeatedly. It felt like a lowbrow Something Rotten. Also something that teens and preteens would really love, too.

I'm so sorry for your loss, and I'm glad this show gave you a boost. It really is a fun show and I think that people that take their tweens and teens will also love it since they grew up with that music as well. So, they have struck gold with the Shrek film model: Make it funny/fun for adults and kids alike. 

Brilliant. 

bwaylvsong1
#211& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/15/22 at 7:02pm

Finally seeing this, having been looking forward to it for three years!  Full cast is on except for Walker (very surprised to see he’s still out so close to opening night).

ETA: Loved everything about this show!  It surpassed my already high expectations!

Updated On: 11/15/22 at 07:02 PM

hearthemsing22
#212& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/16/22 at 8:28am

This is the ONE time where I'm glad a bootleg exists. I watched one and I have to admit it's not for me. 

nativenewyorker2
#213& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/16/22 at 5:10pm

Gotta love middle aged women in the boxes getting up and dancing like they are at a wedding during the backstreets back song

hearthemsing22
#214& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/16/22 at 5:12pm

nativenewyorker2 said: "Gotta love middle aged women in the boxes getting up and dancing like they are at a wedding during the backstreets back song"

Oh god. When I went to Ain't Too Proud people near me were singing along..like these are theatrical productions, not concerts where you can sing along. We all paid to hear the performers. Ugh. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#215& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/16/22 at 7:50pm

Walker is back tonight. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#216& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/16/22 at 7:54pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Walker is back tonight."

Don't know if you saw this from slightly earlier in this thread... but thoughts on potentially stunt-casting JT or Brian Littrell as Shakespeare in the future?

Oh look, a bibu!

BETTY22
#217& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/16/22 at 8:04pm

Spotted Casey Nicolaw at todays show.

What must he be thinking watching a show that deals with sexually fluid folks without putting straight men in dresses? 

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THIS SHOW........

It's so modern and smart and now!

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#218& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/16/22 at 8:53pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Walker is back tonight."

Don't know if you saw this from slightly earlier in this thread... but thoughts on potentially stunt-casting JT or Brian Littrell as Shakespeare in the future?
"

JT never but Brian is a more likely possible stunt cast. 

PipingHotPiccolo
#219& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/16/22 at 8:57pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Walker is back tonight."

"

Brian Littrell maybe but you cant seriously think Justin Timberlake is going to step into a supporting role in a jukebox musical on Bway and sing his pop songs from 20 years ago?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#220& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 12:32am

Was at the final preview tonight and I hope it’s the smash hit I think it deserves to be. We’ll see who shows up on the red carpet tomorrow, plus how the critics will feel. 

dadaguza
#221& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 12:40am

PipingHotPiccolo said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "Walker is back tonight."

"

Brian Littrell maybe but you cant seriously think Justin Timberlake is going to step into a supporting role in a jukebox musical on Bway and sing his pop songs from 20 years ago?
"

Not even his pop songs. I think there was maybe one verse from an NSYNC song in this show.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#222& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 1:15am

Reviews are going to run the gamut of opinions, IMO. Raves, pans, and mixed notices aplenty. 

I think the NYT is going to be mixed after how the London production was received. 

Oh look, a bibu!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#223& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 8:01pm

We shall see!

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#224& JULIET On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 11/17/22 at 8:24pm

Barely reads like a review, but I think it's positive, basically?

https://newyorktheater.me/2022/11/17/juliet-broadway-review-britney-shakespears/

Videos