pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 12:49pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 7/10/2022 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance was: AMERICAN BUFFALO (8.8%), MACBETH (2.9%), COMPANY (0.1%), PLAZA SUITE (0.1%),

Down for the week by attendance was: MR. SATURDAY NIGHT (-12.9%), WICKED (-11.4%), THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (-11.3%), CHICAGO (-11%), A STRANGE LOOP (-9.7%), FUNNY GIRL (-9.3%), COME FROM AWAY (-8.7%), DEAR EVAN HANSEN (-8.5%), PARADISE SQUARE (-6.4%), POTUS: OR, BEHIND EVERY GREAT DUMBASS ARE SEVEN WOMEN TRYING TO KEEP HIM AL (-4.2%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (-4%), TINA - THE TINA TURNER MUSICAL (-3.5%), SIX (-3.4%), HADESTOWN (-3.1%), BEETLEJUICE (-2.6%), THE MINUTES (-2%), THE MUSIC MAN (-2%), THE LION KING (-1.6%), HAMILTON (-1.1%), ALADDIN (-0.9%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (-0.6%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-0.4%), INTO THE WOODS (-0.4%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

binau Profile Photo
binau
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 12:55pm

When I was looking at the "Into the Woods" seating chart a couple of weeks ago, it was striking how empty the seats were on some of the performances around July 4th last week but of course I realise this can be a quieter week (forgot about Independence Day). Regardless of which, they ended up filling them and now the rest of the run looks very well sold. It seems crazy but if the show was cheap to mount (it appears to look so!) they might actually have a chance at recouping in 8 weeks, which is a pretty big feat for any musical let alone a Sondheim musical! Nice one! 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 1:03pm

What exactly is keeping the minutes open? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

gibsons2
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 1:03pm

I'm wondering if Hadestown will last till winter

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 1:07pm

binau said: "When I was looking at the "Into the Woods" seating chart a couple of weeks ago, it was striking how empty the seats were on some of the performances around July 4th last week but of course I realise this can be a quieter week (forgot about Independence Day). Regardless of which, they ended up filling them and now the rest of the run looks very well sold. It seems crazy but if the show was cheap to mount (it appears to look so!) they might actually have a chance at recouping in 8 weeks, which is a pretty big feat for any musical let alone a Sondheim musical! Nice one!"

I can’t imagine the salaries of the cast are exactly cheap.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

quizking101
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 1:07pm

Call_me_jorge said: "What exactly is keeping the minutes open?"

Probably the fact it got government money and, since it’s closing on the 24th, has no incentive to shut down at this point

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 1:10pm

I can see why Paradise Square opted to close this Sunday. 48% seats filled and $266k gross this past week.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 1:10pm

Damn, “Funny Girl” took a hit. Amazing for “Into the Woods”, though. Thrilled for them. 

quizking101
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 1:13pm

It looks like a good chunk of the shows took a dunking this week. 

Now that we can end the death watch for PARADISE SQUARE, my next prognostication is going to be for MR. SATURDAY NIGHT to pack it in by Labor Day weekend.

My rationale is that, with COVID rising again and the show’s demographics (theatre afficionados and older people) mostly dried up, along with the fact that even trying to capitalize on Crystal’s name isn’t worth much - I think they’re gonna limp through the summer and call it quits. The run will have been 5-6 months long at that point and I don’t think Crystal is going to try and push beyond that.

JSquared2
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 1:23pm

quizking101 said: "binau said: "When I was looking at the "Into the Woods" seating chart a couple of weeks ago, it was striking how empty the seats were on some of the performances around July 4th last week but of course I realise this can be a quieter week (forgot about Independence Day). Regardless of which, they ended up filling them and now the rest of the run looks very well sold. It seems crazy but if the show was cheap to mount (it appears to look so!) they might actually have a chance at recouping in 8 weeks, which is a pretty big feat for any musical let alone a Sondheim musical! Nice one!"

I can’t imagine the salaries of the cast are exactly cheap.

"

You'd be surprised.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 1:35pm

quizking101 said: "It looks like a good chunk of the shows took a dunking this week.

Now that we can end the death watch for PARADISE SQUARE, my next prognostication is going to be for MR. SATURDAY NIGHT to pack it in by Labor Day weekend.

My rationale is that, with COVID rising again and the show’s demographics (theatre afficionados and older people) mostly dried up, along with the fact that even trying to capitalize on Crystal’s name isn’t worth much - I think they’re gonna limp through the summer and call it quits. The run will have been 5-6 months long at that point and I don’t think Crystal is going to try and push beyond that.
"

I agree. I think its tapped out what Billy Crystal can draw as a name for the most part and its numbers are looking worse and worse.

Into the Woods is just crushing it!

furbystud2
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 1:55pm

Updated On: 7/12/22 at 01:55 PM

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 2:06pm

Now we see why the changes at FUNNY GIRL happened.   POTUS numbers are not good.

We loved the Into The Woods cast (but missed Headley - and sometimes Harris - even if new cast is strong enough). Soo was a new standout.  Direction is bland and basic.

MJ is a bonefide winner.  Strange Loop may not last after Christmas or sooner if numbers decline.

Updated On: 7/12/22 at 02:06 PM

binau Profile Photo
binau
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 2:14pm

Interesting that "A Strange Loop" could not sell quite a few seats despite winning the Tony Award for Best Musical recently. Looking at the "Best Musical" winner grosses for the last 10 years this seems to be an unusual situation/unheard of situation. If I have looked correctly I believe the closet thing is "Once" but that still sold 99.2% of its seats. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 2:20pm

Question... is there a reason gross potential numbers and percentages are no longer posted? 

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

jo
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 2:49pm

Is July a slow month for shows on Broadway, as a general rule?

There seems to be an overall weakening of demand?  Attendance down by 3 % overall, compared to the previous week which was supposedly affected by out-of-town 4th of July celebrations?

Updated On: 7/12/22 at 02:49 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 3:01pm

bwayphreak234 said: "Question... is there a reason gross potential numbers and percentages are no longer posted?"

My guess is it was a compromise made when they began reporting the grosses again. I agree that it's infuriating that this number is not made public now. We can guess based on average ticket price relative to # of seats filled, but that's not a great solution.

Barbra
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 3:10pm

I noticed a while ago that Mr. Saturday Night only had tickets on sale through Labor Day weekend. So even though they haven’t announced a closing date, they do seem to have one less than 2 months away (assuming they make it that far).

OhHiii
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 3:15pm

jo said: "Is July a slow month for shows on Broadway, as a general rule?

There seems to be an overall weakening of demand? Attention down by 3 % overall, compared to the previous week which was supposedly affected by out-of-town 4th of July celebrations?
"

Summer isn't great for any show that can't bring in tourists, both domestic and international, with a great deal of a show's weekly gross coming from last minute sales in the same week or on the same day. As there is such a lower number of those folks in town and NYers are out of the city as is typical in the Summer, there's just a more finite number of people. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 3:33pm

I doubt Funny Girl will do much better until September. Even looking at tonight's seating chart...ouch. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 4:11pm

Has Crystal done the talk show circuit? I thought his performance on the Tonys was very winning and I would have gotten a ticket. 

I'm sure Into To The Woods was built with recoupment in mind, no? I mean, unless it's just a vanity project for someone. 

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 4:17pm

Mr. Saturday Night only did 6 performances that week, hence the dip in grosses. I do think Crystal's base is tapped out now and it should probably look to close up this Fall.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 4:22pm

RippedMan said: "Has Crystal done the talk show circuit? I thought his performance on the Tonys was very winning and I would have gotten a ticket.

I'm sure Into To The Woods was built with recoupment in mind, no? I mean, unless it's just a vanity project for someone.
"

If they didn't start out the presale with the majority of the orch seats being 299-399 they might have grabbed a few more people earlier.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 5:07pm

True, but his other show 700 Sundays was MASSIVE hit, so I can see why they would have thought that. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 7/10/22
Posted: 7/12/22 at 5:27pm

RippedMan said: "Has Crystal done the talk show circuit? I thought his performance on the Tonys was very winning and I would have gotten a ticket."

Yes he has done various talkshow appearances. I'm as surprised as anyone that his fanbase hasn't proved to be much larger. I don't really know how WOM is –– the reviews were pretty kind, and if you're a Crystal fan you'll probably have a pretty good time, even if the musical on a whole isn't great. The ad campaign is not great and the early TV spots were kind of lame.

Updated On: 7/12/22 at 05:27 PM