pixeltracker

Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?- Page 14

Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?

Square Peg2
#325Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/16/22 at 12:50pm

Bettyboy72 said: "I love this show, but I'm gonna wait until after previews start to buy. This could go either way. I love Ashford, but if she's gonna trot out the same old mugging, I'll pass. I'd really like her to continue to play against type for a bit. We shall see."

Agreed, and I'm also desperately hoping she's done some work on her British accent since Kinky Boots. Her vowel sounds on the recording of History of Wrong Guys still gives me an involuntary twitch. 

B212323
#326Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/18/22 at 12:26am

Well now I need a Groban/Lewis Pretty Women in my life too....

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#327Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 2:23pm

George Hearn is my friggin idol, but the man is 88 years old. I also saw him sing "Epiphany" live at a Sondheim concert sixteen years ago and it was pretty rough. Not his fault, most people's voices don't last into their 70's. But although he was possibly the greatest Sweeney of all time, I agree with him that taking on the Judge might not be such a good idea.

Interesting that Patrick Page might do it, as he has said in the past that Sweeney is one of his dream roles. He is too old for Sweeney now, so maybe doing Judge Turpin is better than never doing the show at all? It's also a lucrative Production contract and he's gotta be tired of playing Hades by now.

As for "going BIPOC," well, I hope that if Page is the Judge that they cast most of the other principle roles with non-white actors...except maybe Johanna. It always looks weird when a woman of color plays her and they stick a bright yellow wig on her head.

betyourass
#328Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 2:39pm

Updated On: 9/19/22 at 02:39 PM

betyourass
#329Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 2:41pm

Gaten is Toby

The Distinctive Baritone
#330Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 3:05pm

betyourass said: "Gaten is Toby "

That’s a well-know rumor, but is it true? I imagine they offered it but his Stranger Things schedule might conflict.

Updated On: 9/19/22 at 03:05 PM

TheatreMonkey Profile Photo
TheatreMonkey
#331Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 7:49pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "George Hearn is my friggin idol, but the man is 88 years old. I also saw him sing "Epiphany" live at a Sondheim concert sixteen years ago and it was pretty rough. Not his fault, most people's voices don't last into their 70's. But although he was possibly the greatest Sweeney of all time, I agree with him that taking on the Judge might not be such a good idea.

Interesting that Patrick Page might do it, as he has said in the past that Sweeney is one of his dream roles. He is too old for Sweeney now, so maybe doing Judge Turpin is better than never doing the show at all? It's also a lucrative Production contract and he's gotta be tired of playing Hades by now.

As for "going BIPOC," well, I hope that if Page is the Judge that they cast most of the other principle roles with non-white actors...except maybe Johanna. It always looks weird when a woman of color plays her and they stick a bright yellow wig on her head.
"

Ah, yes -- but they can go with the alternative lyrics supplied by Mr. Sondheim, quoting dark hair -- sartorial problems solved!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#332Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 8:14pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "betyourass said: "Gaten is Toby "

That’s a well-know rumor, but is it true? I imagine they offered it but his Stranger Things schedule might conflict.
"

Isn't that show done? And darn I would have preferred someone else vocally.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#333Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 8:49pm

Nope. It's a massive show and the scripts are being written now. They will go into production in a few months for the final season. 

The Distinctive Baritone
#334Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/19/22 at 11:18pm

TheatreMonkey said: "Ah, yes -- but they can go with the alternative lyrics supplied by Mr. Sondheim, quoting dark hair -- sartorial problems solved!"

I didn’t know about this. I mean, her yellow hair is sung and spoken of like seventeen times during the course of the show and I’ve never see photos of a Johanna that isn’t blonde. That said, I agree that the lyrics and dialogue could easily be changed to accommodate non-white actresses. There’s no actual reason why Johanna needs to be blonde.

Re: Gaten, yes Stranger Things is filming the final season, so I don’t see it working out unless he does a pretty limited run.

JasonC3
#335Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 9/22/22 at 3:42pm

While we are waiting on this production next year, an intimate staging is going on in a small Chicago theater right now in case anyone is traveling there soon.  Here is the Tribune 4-star review by Chris Jones.

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#336Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/2/22 at 12:24pm

Anyone know when they'll announce further casting? Or more rumors on who?

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#337Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/2/22 at 12:45pm

Did we ever find out why the production is only doing 7 performance a week? 

BCfitasafiddle
#338Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/2/22 at 12:54pm

Are we possibly getting an alternate Sweeney for 1 day a week?

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#339Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/2/22 at 1:43pm

That's what I'm wondering. Maybe it'll be announced with the full cast announcement. 

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#340Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/2/22 at 1:57pm

I recently paid an obscene amount of money for a Friday night ticket in April. I know it's unlikely that would be an alternate day, but still... wish we would know these things sooner. (Although I understand why we don't. And I'm sure whoever they'll get to alternate will be more than competent). 

"I feel safe with you, and complete with you / I'm always finding money in the street with you." -Sheldon Harnick

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#341Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/2/22 at 2:03pm

The alternate would likely be on Tuesdays, as there are no Tuesday performances after opening night. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#342Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/2/22 at 3:25pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "TheatreMonkey said: "Ah, yes -- but they can go with the alternative lyrics supplied by Mr. Sondheim, quoting dark hair -- sartorial problems solved!"

I didn’t know about this. I mean, her yellow hair is sung and spoken of like seventeen times during the course of the show and I’ve never see photos of a Johanna that isn’t blonde. That said, I agree that the lyrics and dialogue could easily be changed to accommodate non-white actresses. There’s no actual reason why Johanna needs to be blonde.

Re: Gaten, yes Stranger Things is filming the final season, so I don’t see it working out unless he does a pretty limited run.
"

And apparently if any filming is happening Gaetan may not be involved as I saw him attending a show this past week in NYC.

Just give the world Love.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#343Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/2/22 at 3:37pm

They haven't started shooting season 5 yet.

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#344Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/2/22 at 5:50pm

TotallyEffed said: "They haven't started shooting season 5 yet."

That's what I figured.

Just give the world Love.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#345Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/3/22 at 2:25am

Maybe we can be lucky and get an alternate Mrs Lovett, too :)?

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

halfhourcheckwithmerman
#346Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/20/22 at 5:51pm

Still no more casting murmurs? 

nativenewyorker2
#347Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/20/22 at 7:15pm

uncageg said: "The Distinctive Baritone said: "TheatreMonkey said: "Ah, yes -- but they can go with the alternative lyrics supplied by Mr. Sondheim, quoting dark hair -- sartorial problems solved!"

"

And apparently if any filming is happening Gaetan may not be involved as I saw him attending a show this past week in NYC.

"

KA 😉

VintageSnarker
#348Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/20/22 at 7:43pm

TheatreMonkey said: "Ah, yes -- but they can go with the alternative lyrics supplied by Mr. Sondheim, quoting dark hair -- sartorial problems solved!"

Are these alternate lyrics available anywhere? I'm just curious what changes he made.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#349Anything new on the rumored Groban-lead Sweeney?
Posted: 10/20/22 at 8:11pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Are we possibly getting an alternate Sweeney for 1 day a week?"

I'd take Patrick Page or even Michael Cerveris as the alternate.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.