pixeltracker

andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater

andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater

BETTY22
#1andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 11:32am

how do you think this show will do on broadway.

I saw it in London and is was fine, but not great! plus, it closed very fast.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 11:43am

Well it hasn't actually announced a Broadway run or a theatre yet.

Too early to say how it will be received on Broadway, but probably not great. Solid sales at first that taper off. Unless ALW & team have done some major surgery on it post-London. It never had massive interest in London –– but to give them a small grain of salt, the constant Covid closures were devastating to its business and its ability to build buzz.

Updated On: 8/20/22 at 11:43 AM

Dolly80
#3andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 11:46am

Hahaha. If this is true then GOOD LUCK BROADWAY. You won’t believe how bad it actually is until you see it.

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#4andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 11:55am

I've heard this as well from several sources--that they have the Imperial.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#5andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 12:11pm

It’s not that bad a show, people calm down. It’s not his best and far from his worst. So much crap happened backstage that it’s spilled out and taken over the actual show which is…fine. Victoria was the best part of it and she said she’s not coming to Broadway which is a damn shame so I hope they can find someone to camp it up the way she did. 

BroadwayLuv2 Profile Photo
BroadwayLuv2
#6andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 12:17pm

This show is not nearly as bad as everyone says it is.  I saw it in London and while it's not an incredible show, I was still entertained and had a good time.  Like Jordan said, Victoria Hamilton Barrett was the best part and it really is a shame she is not transferring. Hopefully they take this time to make the changes necessary to make this show great.  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 1:36pm

I've "watched" it and I have to say the physical production is just ... cheap. It looks cheap, feels cheap, and just not a fun whimsical production. If I'm seeing a new ALW show and it's Cinderella, I want big, splashy production value. The coolest part of the show - the rotating seats - can't be replicated on Broadway. So I hope they scrap the whole thing and come at it fresh, which they won't do. 

Alexander Lamar
#8andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 1:44pm

How did the rotating work? Was the show done in the round?

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#9andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 1:54pm

If this does come to Broadway I’m assuming it will be with minor revisions and possibly all new sets, costumes and a new creative team. I don’t see Andrew just transferring the West End production since he didn’t seem very pleased with it.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#10andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 2:27pm

What I think needs to be done is that ALW needs to have a better creative team and he needs to be less controlling over everything. I wish Carrie and Victoria were coming over, but that sadly won't happen. I do however think Carrie might get an opportunity for Broadway in the future if Treason does well as a stage show. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#11andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 3:54pm

Laurence Connor has yet to direct a production well in his career. His productions are always cheap and feature overcrowded set designs (Les Miserables revival, Phantom 25th anniversary production, Miss Saigon. School of Rock was passable, but that's about it.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#12andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 4:27pm

School of Rock was pretty by-the-book direction. 

But since the closing left such a sour taste in everyone's mouths, I wonder if any of them would come with it to Broadway (design/direction) wise. Maybe he starts afresh. But since we haven't heard a word, I'd imagine it's being worked out.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#13andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 7:38pm

I don't really care about the show, some of the songs are cute. I think Ivano Turco is incredibly cute so if he could transfer with it I would very much approve. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#14andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 8:01pm

There's no financial reason to bring over any cast for London. They're not name entities and the roles can be just as easily played by local hires. MAYBE Carrie, but we've heard of some controversy between her and Mr. Composer. Start fresh.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#15andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 8:13pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "There's no financial reason to bring over any cast for London. They're not name entities and the roles can be just as easily played by local hires. MAYBE Carrie, but we've heard of some controversy between her and Mr. Composer. Start fresh."

Well I'm pretty sure the entire cast hates ALW anyway, I was just throwing it out because I selfishly want to see him in person.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#16andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/20/22 at 9:05pm

Again, if he doesn't get a better creative team and COMPLETELY redo everything, this show will FLOP badly on Broadway! I am sorry if any of you disagree with me, but this whole drama with Cinderella has shown ALW's true colors. He should just be the composer in this matter, not the producer, director, or designer. Just the composer. The score he wrote is really good and has potential. He just cannot be controlling over every little speck of the show. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Lola Getz2 Profile Photo
Lola Getz2
#17andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/21/22 at 4:07pm

Isn't it time to put CInderella back in her own little corner for a bit? Seriously, do we really need another adaptation of this tired old story? Especially one with this bad WOM (both onstage and off?) There are enough family oriented shows that will run forever with a new audience every year. Why bother? 

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#18andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/21/22 at 10:54pm

I heard it's brilliant.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-

Dolly80
#19andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/22/22 at 1:58am

muscle23ftl said: "I heard it's brilliant."

Sure you did 😂

Hamilfan2
#20andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/22/22 at 10:39am

Anyone else find it odd that the Imperial theater has been empty since January and likely won’t have a tenant until the Spring?  I know Cinderella was supposed to come in the fall, so they were probably holding out for that until it got pushed back.  But it seems odd that they still haven’t brought anything in.  Cinderella doesn’t seem like a show worth staying dark for, and even then why not bring in a limited engagement on the cheap like the Schoenfeld is doing with Take Me Out?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#21andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 8/22/22 at 11:03am

It's a huge house, so tough to have something come in just for a few. 

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#22andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 9/15/22 at 5:57pm

Just curious if there have been any updates about this.  If it actually is coming to NY in the Spring, would there be casting announcements posted by now?

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#23andrew lloyd webber's cinderella at the imperial theater
Posted: 9/15/22 at 6:01pm

I imagine we will hear by the holidays. Has the Imperial really been empty since January?

Videos