pixeltracker

JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival

JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#1JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/23/22 at 4:28pm

https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/stage/2022/08/23/joseph-and-the-amazing-technicolor-dreamcoat-coming-to-toronto-as-a-test-run-for-possible-broadway-revival.html

I would love to see Jac Yarrow lead the show on Broadway. Fascinating to read that they offered Pharaoh to Donny Osmond and he turned it down. It would have followed the West End formula of Jason Donovan graduating from Joseph to Pharaoh.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#2JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/23/22 at 4:38pm

'Twill be interesting to see how this fares in a post-shutdown environment. 

Go, go, go Joseph!

Oh look, a bibu!

BETTY22
#3JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/23/22 at 5:44pm

I saw Jack in London. He reminds me of Charlie Stemp's younger brother!!! He is adorable 

Bwayornoway
#4JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/23/22 at 8:43pm

I think Donny is too busy with his Residency in Vegas - especially around the Holidays!  But it def would've been some fun show history if that happened!

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#5JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/23/22 at 9:55pm

I don't know if his name means much now, Michael Damien who was the LA/Broadway Joseph in the 90's could do it. I know my mom and Grandmother would love to see him onstage. He hasn't been on The Young and the Restless for a while.

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#6JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/23/22 at 10:04pm

Hope they get a killer narrator. I'm sure Jessica Vosk's agents are already working the phones!

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#7JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/23/22 at 11:24pm

Do you think they send offers to ridiculous “big asks,” just to say they did it? Like, “hey, Celine, we’re doing this little show in Canada, you busy?”

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#8JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/23/22 at 11:30pm

Does anyone want this?

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/24/22 at 12:15am

darquegk said: "Do you think they send offers to ridiculous “big asks,” just to say they did it? Like, “hey, Celine, we’re doing this little show in Canada, you busy?”"

Well ALW probably wants himself and the show to be the star,, at least until they have to start star-casting down the line. The other issue is people like that can sometimes just be a slow no. We also know how burned ALW was by the whole Scherzinger experience.

So sure, they could offer the role to big stars...but I kinda doubt it.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#10JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/24/22 at 12:27am

RippedMan said: "Does anyone want this?"

Not gonna lie, but I do. Joseph is a fun show and I'd be thrilled for a first class revival to happen.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

jo
#11JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/24/22 at 1:02am

Fun show!

I saw it a long time ago with Jason Donovan...and have also seen the filmed Donny Osmond version.

Ke3
#12JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/24/22 at 7:33pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "darquegk said: "Do you think they send offers to ridiculous “big asks,” just to say they did it? Like, “hey, Celine, we’re doing this little show in Canada, you busy?”"

Well ALW probably wants himself and the show to be the star,, at least until they have to start star-casting down the line. The other issue is people like that can sometimes just be a slow no. We also know how burned ALW was by the whole Scherzinger experience.

So sure, they could offer the role to big stars...but I kinda doubt it.
"

What happened with Nicole?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#13JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/24/22 at 8:00pm

Call_me_jorge said: "RippedMan said: "Does anyone want this?"

Not gonna lie, but I do. Joseph is a fun show and I'd be thrilled for a first class revival to happen.
"

But seem, to me, this doesn't look first class. It's a touring show that's going to make a Broadway stop. Doesn't feel big and lavish to me, but more like a cruise ship show.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#14JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/24/22 at 8:06pm

Maybe just a limited engagement? This has been done a dozen times over in every community theater throughout North America.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Bwayornoway
#15JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/24/22 at 9:16pm

David Archuleta would be free by then :) Unless the UK 'Joseph' continues on to bway - but yes, the biggest question is who will be the narrator!    I can see tons of stunt casting in this... Tho I looked it up and was surprised the only revival only ran for about 7 months?  

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#16JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/24/22 at 9:31pm

Because the show is... not great and at this point is the revival bringing anything new to the show? Probably not. 

CATSNYrevival
#17JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/25/22 at 1:24am

It’s not like it’s the same production from the 90s. It is a new production, new orchestrations, new scenery, new costumes, new direction and choreography. Joseph hasn’t been on Broadway for nearly 20 years and if Jac does come over with it he’s worth seeing. Yes, the show was written for children but it’s also a lot of fun when done well.

sbflyfan Profile Photo
sbflyfan
#18JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/25/22 at 11:39am

Ke3 said: "What happened with Nicole?"

She opened the London revival of "Cats" in the role of Grizabella, and dropped out of the Broadway transfer so she could be a judge on the show "X Factor."

"I'm seeing the LuPone in Key West later this week. I'm hoping for great vocals and some sort of insane breakdown..." - BenjaminNicholas2

greensgreens Profile Photo
greensgreens
#19JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/25/22 at 8:52pm

Just an honest question… has Joseph ever been successful on Bway? As I heard it, the only reason the 90s version was on the main stem was as a placeholder for Sunset since Webber wanted the Minskoff. I’ve never heard it discussed as successful in either the original or revival run. 

#20JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/25/22 at 9:45pm

Updated On: 3/3/23 at 09:45 PM

CATSNYrevival
#21JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/26/22 at 4:38am

greensgreens said: "Just an honest question… has Joseph ever been successful on Bway? As I heard it, the only reason the 90s version was on the main stem was as a placeholder for Sunset since Webber wanted the Minskoff. I’ve never heard it discussed as successful in either the original or revival run."

I’m not sure how to find information on which musicals recouped in the 80s but I did find a New York Times interview with one of the lead producers, Gail Berman.

“In its eighth month on Broadway, “Joseph” has recouped one-third of its investment. The show's operating costs are $160,000 a week. It has recently been playing at slightly above a break-even figure - from 80 to 86 percent of capacity. According to Miss Berman, investors should be paid back in another six months.”

The original production ran about 19 months. Assuming it continued to play above the break even figure, the show likely recouped at least.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#22JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/26/22 at 7:04am

160k nut. Wow that's wild to hear. But I guess that's back when everyone was paying $500 rent, too.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#23JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/27/22 at 12:06am

I love Joseph and will see any professional production. Then again, I’m older. I loved the Sam Harris tour and the Diana/Ace tour. Diana sang the score so well. Ace was passable. I think it’s a fun show but it’s sentimental for me. I loved the mega mix added to the end. 

Even though I love it, I don’t think it would sell well. It’s really dated and I don’t see biblical stuff being a hot property anymore. People were more Jesusy and wholesome when it premiered.

I think you’d need star power to sell it. Can any of the Stranger Things kids besides Gaten sing? Although I just heard they can make 250k in a weekend at a comic-con so I doubt they’d so Broadway.  

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

Joviedamian
#24JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/30/22 at 4:36pm

Because the show is... not great and at this point is the revival bringing anything new to the show? Probably not.

I read that a church in Texas knows how to add things to Broadway shows--maybe they can help add something new to it? :) 

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#25JOSEPH is coming to Toronto as a test run for a Broadway revival
Posted: 8/31/22 at 2:38pm

Bettyboy72 said: "Can any of the Stranger Things kids besides Gaten sing?"

Yes, actually! Finn Wolfhard has been the front-man for Canadian rock band Calpurnia and is now one-half of The Aubreys (also plays guitar, bass, and piano); Caleb McLaughlin did opera at Glimmerglass and made his professional debut as Young Simba in The Lion King on Broadway (also has one Off-Broadway role under his belt); and Sadie Sink has done a ton of regional theater and was in the Lapine revival of Annie.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

Latest Posts