pixeltracker

Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl - Page 14

Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#325Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 7:00pm

TaffyDavenport said: "The bootleg video of Lea singing TMTMMD has been up for almost a week and has 33K views on YouTube, making it very clear that the production not only doesn't care, but also wants people to see it."

I always wonder about the timing of these things. The Company revival (or, Ladies Who Lunch LLC, rather) took down my video of Britney Coleman’s debut as Bobbie yesterday. It’s been up since April and the damn show closed two months ago. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#326Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 7:22pm

I'm so happy critics came back. Tonys would have looked a little different if they made these choices from the jump! 

Love hearing posters giving glowing reviews about the show, I'm so glad it made it to the Fall.

Penna2
#327Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 7:32pm

barcelona20 said: "All these reviews are going to compare Lea to Beanie. I hope Julie will get some recognition for her stellar performance."

I don't see any actual comparisons. The two published reviews so far simply say Lea is a great overall performer, particularly her singing, who captures who Fanny Brice was - which is what the show needed. No need to rehash the problems with Beanie.

As for Julie, the Washington Post article said she would continue performing on Thursdays. I haven't seen either woman in the show, but have heard an audio of the entire show with Julie, saw a boot of her doing the finale FG and DROMP, and the showcase in the park ITGS and she's wonderful. I have been one of her strongest cheerleaders after hearing audio boots of her earliest performance and agree she is stellar.

That said, the boot of Lea singing TMTMMD blew me away. Every time I watch it (I account for at least 25 of those 34,000 hits) I am moved by the range of emotions she projects, and I feel along with her. Something that doesn't happen with Julie when I hear her singing. Maybe it's the years of hunger to play the role coming through. As the Washington post critic said about Lea's People - she isn't hiding her need inside.

Trying to figure out how I can afford the trip to the east coast again. 

Updated On: 9/28/22 at 07:32 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#328Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 8:26pm

Phillyguy said: "barcelona20 said: "All these reviews are going to compare Lea to Beanie. I hope Julie will get some recognition for her stellar performance."

She’s already gotten way more recognition than a typical standby/alternative, including a NYT profile!

Lea Michele is the leading actress now so of course all the reviews are about her
"

Face it, though: This is the Lea Michele Show, and her presence has the effect of setting the playhouse in order. “I’m the Greatest Star,” with its pulse-quickening affirmation of a young woman of enormous appetites and gifts, is delivered now with the full-throated confidence that leads easily to the conclusion that, yup, this is a star. Equally potent are Fanny’s torchy “The Music That Makes Me Dance,” and a finale in which Fanny pulls herself out of an emotional cellar, proof of the preternatural resilience that defines a mortal who thrives in the limelight.

Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#329Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 9:23pm

Phillyguy said: "Lea Michele is the leading actress now so of course all the reviews are about her"

She is a replacement in a show that was already reviewed, so she is the exclusive reason why the show is being re-reviewed. If a critic spent their time dissecting other elements of the show too much, that would kind of defeat the purpose.

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#330Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 9:47pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "Looks like the “revisiting” review embargo has been lifted. Here arePeter Marks’s thoughts:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/theater-dance/2022/09/28/lea-michele-funny-girl/
"

This quote nailed it:

”That will to stardom, that ineffable self-belief, is the key to Fanny’s code, and Michele cracks it. What you’re reminded of at this stage of this revival, directed by Michael Mayer, is that “Funny Girl” is a vehicle with a cast of dozens but only one vital role. You could have the most winningly tough-minded Mrs. Brice (and you do in the other new cast member, Tovah Feldshuh, replacing Jane Lynch) and the handsomest Nick Arnstein (and you do in Ramin Karimloo). But without a Fanny Brice who shakes the building with mellifluous need, you may as well stay out in the parking lot.”

smallvillefan16
#331Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 10:05pm

Anyone find it weird that it is virtually impossible to find any audio recordings of Beanie as Fanny?  I can find complete recordings of Lea and Julie as well as videos but outside of brief :30 second clips, they seem to have been wiped.  I am curious to hear her version of certain songs vs how true Broadway performers [Lea and Julie] sing them.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#332Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 10:23pm

smallvillefan16 said: "Anyone find it weird that it is virtually impossible to find any audio recordings of Beanie as Fanny? I can find complete recordings of Lea and Julie as well as videos but outside of brief :30 second clips, they seem to have been wiped. I am curious to hear her version of certain songs vs how true Broadway performers [Lea and Julie] sing them."

Not weird at all. The production didn't want people to hear clips of Beanie (particularly "Parade" from the first preview) vs. the production wants people to hear Julie and Lea. I don't think they had to take down many, though, since there was little demand to hear Beanie anyway.

Updated On: 9/28/22 at 10:23 PM

The Pesky Pescatarian Profile Photo
The Pesky Pescatarian
#333Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 10:24pm

smallvillefan16 said: "Anyone find it weird that it is virtually impossible to find any audio recordings of Beanie as Fanny? I can find complete recordings of Lea and Julie as well as videos but outside of brief :30 second clips, they seem to have been wiped. I am curious to hear her version of certain songs vs how true Broadway performers [Lea and Julie] sing them."

Unless it was like very very recently, like within the last week, there was a Beanie "Who Are You Now" and "You Are Woman, I Am Man" on YouTube.

Someone also put together a DROMP and a IATGS comparison video of all the Fannys (Ephie included). I thought that was kind of neat because Ephie's voice was a lovely surprise for me.

CatLady3
#334Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 10:27pm

Some of the only complete recordings I've heard of Beanie are included in comparison videos of the 4 Fannys on YT. IATGS and DROMP.

There are also audios of her duets with Ramin. 

BCfitasafiddle
#335Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 10:51pm

Are there no more reviews coming? 

Penna2
#336Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 10:55pm

CatLady3 said: "smallvillefan16 said: "Anyone find it weird that it is virtually impossible to find any audio recordings of Beanie as Fanny? I can find complete recordings of Lea and Julie as well as videos but outside of brief :30 second clips, they seem to have been wiped. I am curious to hear her version of certain songs vs how true Broadway performers [Lea and Julie] sing them."

Some of the only complete recordings I've heard of Beanie are included in comparison videos of the 4 Fannys on YT. IATGS and DROMP.

There are also audios of her duets with Ramin.
"

The first clue that there was a problem with Beanie's vocal skills was when she appeared on a talk show and they played Barbra Streisand singing. However, I still like her duet with Ramin in Who Are You Now? Which is on YouTube, as noted above. 

Penna2
#337Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 10:58pm

BCfitasafiddle said: "Are there no more reviews coming?"

Oleksinski said he bought his own ticket because he didn't want to wait - his review came out on 9/6-opening night. I wonder if Marks felt the same way and didn't want to wait for the producers to comp him.

brdwybound04
#338Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 11:37pm

Any chance this show gets recorded to preserve Lea’s incredible vocals??

CatLady3
#339Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 11:40pm

I can't wait to see her upcoming tv performances. 

Also, whoever is doing Lea's PR is doing a stellar job. 

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#340Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/28/22 at 11:43pm

brdwybound04 said: "Any chance this show gets recorded to preserve Lea’s incredible vocals??"

LOL They are all preserved already--buy a box set of Glee. Or check out YouTube. Highly doubtful there will be a recording, but considering The Music Man finally released one, I guess not impossible. 

FranklinDickson2018
#341Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/29/22 at 12:00am

Phillyguy said: "barcelona20 said: "All these reviews are going to compare Lea to Beanie. I hope Julie will get some recognition for her stellar performance."

She’s already gotten way more recognition than a typical standby/alternative, including a NYT profile!

Lea Michele is the leading actress now so of course all the reviews are about her
"

I hope so too! Julie has done what 75 or 76 performances of the role?   There should be no "way more recognition than typical" level set for her.  She kept the show open --- in excellent style --- and showed audiences what they could expect with a very talented singer and actress. And we have now discovered a wonderful new singer.   In a perfect world --- Julie would get mention in the forthcoming reviews of Lea's performance --- just for the sake of history.  Julie is as much a part of the current success as Lea.  Julie did a great deal for this show and this can't be disputed.  She is deserving of all press mention she has already received and then some.  And don't forget she is performing every Thursday. Nothing "typical standby/alternate" of her role in any of this. 

Penna2
#342Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/29/22 at 12:32am

joevitus said: "brdwybound04 said: "Any chance this show gets recorded to preserve Lea’s incredible vocals??"

LOL They are all preserved already--buy a box set of Glee. Or check out YouTube. Highly doubtful there will be a recording, but considering The Music Man finally released one, I guess not impossible.
"

From someone who never heard of Lea before FG, I have watched the Glee videos of Greatest Star and DROMP. The Lea singing in FG is not the same person as the young actress in Glee playing someone who wanted to be Babs. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#343Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/29/22 at 12:40am

Very good show tonight but Nick’s line about the hurricane in Florida got a bit of an uncomfortable reaction. That’s as interesting. 

Interesting to see how Lea’s grown in the role these few weeks from her first performance to tonight. She’s giving a different, more nuanced and all around better performance which strikes me as odd since I thought she was already doing it pretty much perfectly. 

Azúcar!
#344Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/29/22 at 10:27am

I think BWW jumped the gun on the reviews announcement.  I imagine that between her COVID and the Jewish holidays most critics have not had a chance to see her.  I was also hoping for a big official reopening night like was done for Bernadette in Dolly.  But these producers don’t make good choices.

ElephantLoveMedley
#345Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/29/22 at 10:32am

I can't imagine how much the producers must be kicking themselves for not having Lea open the production. Not only would she have been a lock for a Tony nomination (and honestly, quite possibly, a win), I feel her performance elevates everything else in the production. Don't get me wrong, I still think the production design is pretty ugly overall, but with Lea at the helm, it just becomes so much less apparent. When Beanie was Fanny, as much as I felt she worked her very hardest, I feel the flaws in the production that surrounded her became much more evident. Lea is so pitch-perfect that everything else just "is."

Obviously, hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure the team is thrilled that their chances of recouping have skyrocketed since mid-summer, but when the show is eventually gone, I can't help but think they'll look back on this decision regretfully.

joevitus Profile Photo
joevitus
#346Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/29/22 at 10:47am

I'm sure some of it was the toxicity of her reputation at that point, but it's clear from both the London and New York productions, they didn't want to go with "Barbra Streisand lite." They wanted someone who they believed would be really funny and bring out that aspect of the Fanny Brice persona, and voice wasn't their primary concern.

Are they kicking themselves now? Hard to say. This looks to be one of the worst-produced shows ever, and it's impossible to tell if they recognize that or are baffled that all their great concepts fell flat.  They may be too eagerly congratulating themselves on having seemingly saved it, and they may put all the blame for their troubles on the critics/word-of-mouth (not saying that would be justified)

Updated On: 9/29/22 at 10:47 AM

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#347Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/29/22 at 11:15am

Azúcar! said: "I think BWW jumped the gun on the reviews announcement. I imagine that between her COVID and the Jewish holidays most critics have not had a chance to see her. I was also hoping for a big official reopening night like was done for Bernadette in Dolly. But these producers don’t make good choices."

They definitely jumped the gun.  And Tovah has said she would be out for the Jewish holidays. I am hoping they do have one big official press-opening night.  

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

LesWickedly Profile Photo
LesWickedly
#348Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/29/22 at 11:37am

I actually think having Lea replace makes for way more success than others have suggested, saying she should have just opened. Yes, she'd most likely be giving the same incredible performance and sure more critical praise overall, but I think so much of her success in the show is the "saving the day" aspect of it. A year ago if she had ben announced as Fanny, I and many others would have been bored and not excited about it. It took seeing someone else (love Beanie as a performer and don't think she's deserving of half the hate that has been thrown her way), to realize that yup, I just wanna see Lea Michele do this. And I think I'm one of many who think that way. So yes, I'm sure it still would've been a huge success had she opened with it in the spring, but I don't think it would have been the event that it is now. 

Amos Hart2
#349Lea Michele as Fanny - Funny Girl
Posted: 9/29/22 at 11:38am

No surprise that ticket sales are better than ever with Lea Michele in the lead, but the triumph is hers rather than the show's.  I'm wondering about the fate of the show after LM's eventual departure.  I assume she didn't sign an open-ended contract.  Do the producers close the show when she leaves or do they try to find yet another Fanny?  

I'm also curious about LM's post-FG career.  The Lea/Rachel/GLEE/FG thing has played itself out and, hopefully, she can build on this success.