Iconic Costumes

Dollypop
#1Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:56am

Mame's gold lame lounging pajamas are classic, so is Dolly's red Harmonia gown and Anita's purple dress in WSS.

What character (male or female) wore an iconic white cpstume?

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)
Updated On: 11/1/22 at 10:56 AM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#2Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:58am

Christine Daaé.

Dollypop
#3Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:03am

Ah, yes. Any others?

Shoshana BeanieBaby
#4Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:05am

Mother in Ragtime

My Fair Lady

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#5Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:22am

Loretta Swit in Evita.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#6Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:23am

Eva Peron on the balcony of the Casa Rosada.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#7Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:31am

Annie’s red dress and curly red wig. 
Eva Peron’s white gown. 

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#8Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:39am

The Emcee’s white fetish gear in Cabaret.

ATerrifyingAndImposingFigure
#9Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:40am

Phantom’s mask is probably the most instantly recognizable article of clothing from Broadway. For a full outfit, the hat and long coat come to mind.

Evan Hansen’s blue polo and cast.

Both Joel Grey and Alan Cumming’s Emcees have pretty iconic getups.

TotallyEffed
#10Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:44am

Glinda and Elphaba's gowns are also obvious choices.

hearthemsing22
#11Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 11:50am

Would you consider Hermes suit in Hadestown among this list?

Alexander Lamar
#12Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 12:01pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Would you consider Hermes suit in Hadestown among this list?"

No. 

I think all the costumes from The Lion King are iconic but where is the line between costume/puppet?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#13Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 12:13pm

Any of the Cats. That seems pretty obvious.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

TotallyEffed
#14Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 12:18pm

hearthemsing22 said: "Would you consider Hermes suit in Hadestown among this list?"

That audience captioning device is more iconic than that suit.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#15Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 12:25pm

A few Bernadette costumes in SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE, such as the below. And then of course the homage in Tick Tick Boom. I mean, everything in the show is so god damn iconic. LOOK AT THE PHOTO OF BERNADETTE AND SONDHEIM IN THE RECORDING STUDIO FOR SUNDAY....THAT FEELS ICONIC.

Iconic Costumes

Iconic Costumes

Iconic Costumes

Iconic Costumes

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 11/1/22 at 12:25 PM

Jarethan
#16Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 12:42pm

Hard to define.  There is a difference between great costumes and iconic costumes.  For example, Gypsy has mostly utilitarian (and approprite) costumes, but Rose's dress is iconic.  Coco had great costumes, but none are iconic...you don't immediately think of the show or the moment in the show when you see the costume.  Iconic to me also means that a huge range of people would immediately think of the show if they saw the costume.  It / they are part of theatre history. 

Agree with most everything.  Exceptions: mother in Ragtime (I don't remember what she wore and I saw it 5-6 times); My Fair Lady is too broad and I don't think there is any single outfit that is 'associated' with MFL.  I also question Hermes' suit as being iconic, as well as Evan Hansen's outfit.  I also don't think anything Christine Daae wears is iconic.

I would add:

-- Rose's red dress in Gypsy (I missed the last one, but every other production I have seen has been Red.

-- (This may be a stretch): Phyllis's red pant outfit in the original production of Follies.  IT was everywhere, including the cover of Time and Life.

-- Charity's black dress in Sweet Charity

-- Mrs. Lovett's hairdo at a minimum.

-- Judy Holliday's red dress in Bells Are Ringing (red seems to be a theme)

-- Maria's white dress in WSS

-- All the costumes in the current production of Chicago

-- Peter Pan's costume

-- Mame and Vera's outfit from Bossom Buddies

-- All the costumes in Nine taken collectively

-- Little Eponine's outfit in Les Miserables

-- Carol Haney's Steam Heat outfit from Pajama Game

-- Roger DeBris' Chrysler Building dress from The Producers

-- Nellie Forbush's sailor outfit in Honey Bun

-- The closing of Act 1 Dreamgirls costumes

-- Dot's dress in SITHWG

That's it for now.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#17Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 12:52pm

White only?

I'll say Peter Allen/The Boy from Oz.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#18Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 2:03pm

What character (male or female) wore an iconic white cpstume?"

The full company of the original production of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC in the first scene of Act II. Everyone in white, inspired by that one line of lyric in WEEKEND IN THE COUNTRY. I remember hearing gasps from the audience at curtain rise. Dazzling.

Dollypop
#19Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 5:34pm

I was looking for iconic WHITE costumes but thanks to everyone for their input.

Updated On: 11/1/22 at 05:34 PM

mememe
#20Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 7:21pm

Jarethan said: "Hard to define. There is a difference between great costumes and iconic costumes. For example, Gypsy has mostly utilitarian (and approprite) costumes, but Rose's dress is iconic. Coco had great costumes, but none are iconic...you don't immediately think of the show or the moment in the show when you see the costume. Iconic to me also means that a huge range of people would immediately think of the show if they saw the costume. It / they are part of theatre history.

Agree with most everything. Exceptions: mother in Ragtime (I don't remember what she wore and I saw it 5-6 times); My Fair Lady is too broad and I don't think there is any single outfit that is 'associated' with MFL. I also question Hermes' suit as being iconic, as well as Evan Hansen's outfit. I also don't think anything Christine Daae wears is iconic.

I would add:

-- Rose's red dress in Gypsy (I missed the last one, but every other production I have seen has been Red.

-- (This may be a stretch): Phyllis's red pant outfit in the original production of Follies. IT was everywhere, including the cover of Time and Life.

-- Charity's black dress in Sweet Charity

-- Mrs. Lovett's hairdo at a minimum.

-- Judy Holliday's red dress in Bells Are Ringing (red seems to be a theme)

-- Maria's white dress in WSS

-- All the costumes in the current production of Chicago

-- Peter Pan's costume

-- Mame and Vera's outfit from Bossom Buddies

-- All the costumes in Nine taken collectively

-- Little Eponine's outfit in Les Miserables

-- Carol Haney's Steam Heat outfit from Pajama Game

-- Roger DeBris' Chrysler Building dress from The Producers

-- Nellie Forbush's sailor outfit in Honey Bun

-- The closing of Act 1 Dreamgirls costumes

-- Dot's dress in SITHWG

That's it for now.
"

Agree entirely 

I think the My Fair Lady costume that one might consider iconic, is the black and white dress that Eliza wears for Ascot, but it wasn’t in the show. I would said that’s one most people imagine.

Jay Lerner-Z Profile Photo
Jay Lerner-Z
#21Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 7:33pm

I would say it's Eliza at the start, in her dirty streetseller clothes, before Higgins gets his hands on her.

Beyoncé is not an ally. Actions speak louder than words, Mrs. Carter. #Dubai #$$$

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#22Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 7:39pm

NINE Broadway 

Iconic Costumes

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#23Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 7:43pm

Dollypop said: "Mame's gold lame lounging pajamas are classic, so is Dolly's red Harmonia gown and Anita's purple dress in WSS.

What character (male or female) wore an iconic white cpstume?
"

Chita in Spider Woman 

Iconic Costumes

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Dollypop
#24Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/1/22 at 8:24pm

Okay, now I have to 'fess up:

You all helped me name a plant. Yup, my Christmas cactus.

I have several--all different colors. The red one (of course) is Dolly. The gold/yellow one is Mame. The purple one is Anita and with your help, the white one is now named Evita.

With the exception of Evita, they are in full bloom right now and absolutely gorgeous.

Again, thanks for your help.

fosterfan2
#25Iconic Costumes
Posted: 11/2/22 at 6:24pm

This is more recent: Bobbie's red jumpsuit in the Company revival. It looked great on Rosalie Craig and Katrina Lenk. Also on Nikki Renee Daniels when she filled in while Katrina was out with Covid.

Videos