pixeltracker

Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January - Page 3

Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January

binau Profile Photo
binau
#50Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/17/23 at 1:18pm

I don't suppose there is any chance of an extension? (not sure how the revival typically works with these kind of casting decisions).

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

BETTY22
#51Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/17/23 at 1:20pm

I was there and it was thrilling......Congrats.

Also, the show is in great shape. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#52Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/17/23 at 1:24pm

binau said: "I don't suppose there is any chance of an extension? (not sure how the revival typically works with these kind of casting decisions)."

I mean, anything can happen. If she’s raking in the bucks, they’ll want her to come back at some point if not extend. (I think the same about Pamela Anderson).

I think the bigger factor would be more her touring schedule with BenDeLaCreme and other Ru-events

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

broadwayben3
#53Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/17/23 at 1:24pm

Was wondering this myself. Planning on being there the week after she leaves and would love to see her and Charlotte together

binau said: "I don't suppose there is any chance of an extension? (not sure how the revival typically works with these kind of casting decisions)."

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#54Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/17/23 at 2:29pm

I plan to see the show in the coming weeks based on my availability. Looks like Charlotte is staying and Emma won't be Roxie. Regardless, it's nice to see some fresh faces in this show. Also, James is amazing in anything he does. Also gives 110%.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#56Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/18/23 at 12:45pm

Does anyone know if Jinkx is signing at the stage door?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#57Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/18/23 at 1:57pm

She is. My friend went on her opening night and she came out, was masked, and signed and took pictures.

She even had her own special insert in the Playbill.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Akitarent
#58Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/19/23 at 12:32am

I was there covering press for their opening night and also last night.  The show is in GREAT shape. Just watching Charlotte is a MASTERCLASS.  Whoever dreamt up this casting needs a raise.  Lana, James = perfection.  And JINKX. The audience went berserk and rightfully so. She is WONDERFUL. Coming from the drag and improv world works high in her favor.   Unlike many celebrities, she understands character choices (just not playing herself) and layers.  I can only imagine who great she will be by the end of her run.

Also, while she is singing stuff, on the first night she stopped and made a quick speech telling people that she can't chat long with them.  Many people were telling her where they can from, personal stories, and Jinkx was trying to navigate the large crowd.  Last night she said  she would sign and photos, but programs, etc had to be opened ahead of time. 

Updated On: 1/19/23 at 12:32 AM

Akitarent
#59Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/19/23 at 1:01am

just messaged you privately. Let me know if you recieved it. 

qafgenius122
#60Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/20/23 at 12:14am

I was at the show tonight. Here are some brief thoughts. (This is her third show in the run, but it is after a day off...though I know she did a bunch of press yesterday/before the show today)

One, the Playbill cover is still not Jinkx specific; I do believe they are getting one if Playbill's site is to be believed. There was a cute insert though, as mentioned earlier in this thread. Her branded Chicago march was there however, and I bought it all. The Magnet, the windowcard and the tee. Shes my fav Ru girl; I had to!

I hadn't seen Chicago in likely a decade, my first and only visit was when Michelle Williams (of Destiny's Child) was in as Roxie and I recall very much not liking her and that tampering my enjoyment of the show.

Going in with older, but fresh eyes, the show is obviously great, the score is iconic, and frankly, the show is in pretty good shape. Now Jinkx...

She looks stunning. She hits the comedy beats like the pro show is. One minor line flub during her first scene, but no others that I noticed. And she can sing very well, except, and this saddened me, the 2 big belt money notes in her numbers. She was almost whisper-belting to finally find her voice, (think sore throat trying to sing) kind of riding up the scale from "where did my voice go for that one second to, ahh there it is", and it was a tad disheartening. One bad note in one song, fine, but two bad notes in two songs, your only two songs; The Money Notes...It doesn't seem like that happened on her Opening night. Had she hit those couple notes it would've been a perfect evening, even with Charlotte D'Amboise out. I know I'm nitpicking.

Was it jitters? Is she unprepared for the 8 show a week task? Was it just an off night? Hopefully experiences unlike mine prove to be the norm. That being said I had a fantastic time, and do think she is worth seeing. The staff at the Ambassador was also top notch and helped me with a seating issue that I am eternally grateful was solved in minutes and to my satisfaction.

I did not stage door due to the rain, but do plan to pop by one evening later in the run when its nicer out.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#61Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/20/23 at 12:39am

I ~heard~ her first performance, and the cackle she does at the end of the interlude of GOOD TO MAMA gave me life.

Updated On: 1/20/23 at 12:39 AM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#62Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/20/23 at 9:24am

Jinkx on Late Night with Seth Meyers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBV6hD44hbs

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

JanMaxwellsBag Profile Photo
JanMaxwellsBag
#63Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/20/23 at 10:40am

They have all the merch available online as well. I was gonna buy a shirt but they only go up to 2x, and I need a 3 or preferably 4x. It’s like damn, us super fatties like merch too! So I got a magnet. 

I could use a prince to save me from my prince.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#64Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/20/23 at 10:39pm

I find it interesting that the producers are making Jinkx share a dressing room with 2 other actors during her run. I would have assumed that she’d get her own. 

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#65Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/21/23 at 2:31am

jonartdesigns said: "I find it interesting that the producers are making Jinkx share a dressing room with 2 other actors during her run. I would have assumed that she’d get her own."

Or did her agent just not negotiate a private dressing room?

trpguyy
#66Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/21/23 at 8:40am

Unless they rent a hotel room down the street, there’s no private dressing room to offer. Can’t negotiate for something that doesn’t physically exist. 

yyys
#67Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/21/23 at 10:01am

it's not a very big role...

artdesigns said: "I find it interesting that the producers are making Jinkx share a dressing room with 2 other actors during her run. I would have assumed that she’d get her own."

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#68Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/21/23 at 1:05pm

Do they usually sell limited cast-related merch? I would have loved for a magnet or shirt from some of the previous stunt castings…so happy for Jinkx though. She really has put in the hard work in her career and I love seeing her get praise and success. 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#69Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/21/23 at 2:06pm

Jinkx appears to be helping the box office sales. This weekend is nearly sold-out. Plus they have her part of the advertising with the Broadway week 2-for-1 deal, too.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

mattmarkowski99 Profile Photo
mattmarkowski99
#70Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/22/23 at 12:32am

Does anyone have a discount code that isn't BWAY week? Thanks!

Balcony2
#71Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/22/23 at 2:23am

Saw the matinee 1/21. Full house. Show is still astonishingly fresh.

Perfect debut role for Jinkx Monsoon at the perfect time. Since her breakout on RPDR , many of us have been waiting a decade for something like this.  Now that it's happened so gloriously, it's easy to get verklempt.  She brings a hilarious seen-it-all toughness to Mama Morton, with a dash of glamorous swagger. The makeup and hair are superb. From her arsenal of accents, she's found a sort of "jazz-age urban gangster" delivery which is great fun.  The singing voice is uniquely resonant. The audience was totally behind her. Stratospheric ovations.  I  believe we're witnessing something legendary. 

Don't miss this, folks.

BenjaminNicholas2 Profile Photo
BenjaminNicholas2
#72Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/22/23 at 10:10pm

Balcony2 said: "I believe we're witnessing something legendary."

I mean, legendary?  Probably not.  Saw it a few days ago.  It was entertaining.

LuPone in Gypsy is Legendary.

Peters in Follies is legendary.

JHol in Dreamgirls, legendary.

This was smart stunt casting in a relatively small role.  Jinkx doesn't carry the show.  Charlo does.  

That's the truly legendary performance you're seeing in Chicago at the moment.

DJD4
#73Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/24/23 at 5:01pm

BenjaminNicholas2 said: "Balcony2 said: "I believe we're witnessing something legendary."

I mean, legendary? Probably not. Saw it a few days ago. It was entertaining.

LuPone in Gypsy is Legendary.

Peters in Follies is legendary.

JHol in Dreamgirls, legendary.

This was smart stunt casting in a relatively small role. Jinkx doesn't carry the show. Charlo does.

That's the truly legendary performance you're seeing in Chicago at the moment.

"

I took it as "we're seeing the start of a potentially great theatre career for a talented performer".

This entire cast is Glorious! 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#74Jinkx Monsoon to Play Mama in CHICAGO this January
Posted: 1/25/23 at 12:59am

Saw Jinkx tonight and my God, she was fabulous. The voice, the acting, the stage presence, it’s all just…correct. I truly truly hope this leads to more roles in the future. 

Videos