News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#1ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 2:16pm

The Broadway run at the Marquis is on Ticketmaster now, so it looks like an announcement is imminent. First preview is May 13, 2023, with what looks like an opening night of June 22.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/once-upon-a-one-more-time-tickets/artist/2953891

Oh baby baby, your favorite fairy-tale icons are flipping their scripts -- empowered by the chart-topping hits of the undisputed Princess of Pop, Britney Spears. Once Upon a One More Time weaves the definitive hits of Britney Spears into a "clever and uproarious" (NPR) original story that proves there's more to life than finding a prince.

Every fortnight, when our storybook heroines gather for book club, they always discuss the same book: Grimm's Fairy Tales -- because as far as they know, it's the only book that's ever been written. That's when a rogue fairy godmother drops The Feminine Mystique into their corseted laps. From now on, "Happily ever after" will never be the same. It's the ultimate revisionist fairy tale that'll make you feel stronger than yesterday.

Updated On: 12/1/22 at 02:16 PM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#2ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 2:20pm

Interesting they're not trying to open in time to be eligible for the current Tony season. They could easily move up everything one month since Beetlejuice is exiting early enough.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 2:22pm

ACL2006 said: "Interesting they're not trying to open in time to be eligible for the current Tony season. They could easily move up everything one month since Beetlejuice is exiting early enough."

Considering this and Back to the Future, maybe summer is the new spring but you can build a tourist-driven audience that wouldn’t automatically be built in for a fall or early spring opening. Especially for big musicals like these. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#4ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 2:57pm

Britney fan presale starts at 9 a.m. ET tomorrow, so I guess we'll get an announcement first thing in the morning.

seaweedjstubbs Profile Photo
seaweedjstubbs
#5ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 3:14pm

I feel like this show is WAY too similar to & JULIET to succeed. Not only do both share several songs, but they also share very similar themes. Is there enough room on Broadway for the both of them? I guess we’re gonna find out! 

I actually had a good time when I saw it in DC, but it definitely needed some work. I’m sure it’ll be beefed up a bit more for Broadway, as the sets and costumes were far from Broadway worthy. Looking forward to seeing all the changes when it comes to Broadway!

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#6ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 3:26pm

Juliet is probably the sole reason why this isn’t opening sooner. Will be very interesting to see how this fares with both in the marketplace.

If Britney attends and is “involved,” that could tip the scales. But reviews could also say “it’s no Juliet.” We’ll see…

Robbie516
#7ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 3:33pm

Do you expect the same cast as the tryout?

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#8ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 3:35pm

I wonder if MiMi Scardulla makes the transfer… she’s doing A Beautiful Noise right now.

Otherwise, I expect the full cast to transfer. 

Oh look, a bibu!

barcelona20
#9ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 4:16pm

Just what Broadway needs. More pre-existing pop music.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#10ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 4:17pm

Then don’t go!

I for one am so excited to see this again. I had the time of my life at the DC tryout.

Jarethan
#11ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 4:18pm

ACL2006 said: "Interesting they're not trying to open in time to be eligible for the current Tony season. They could easily move up everything one month since Beetlejuice is exiting early enough."

Or they are avoiding the Tony deadline so they don't have to deal with all the bad press if they get no nominations or just one or two.

pablitonizer
#12ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 4:33pm

OMG Finally! I LOVED this show so much, and I can't wait to see it again on Broadway. There's a rumor that Britney will make an announcement tomorrow which is her birthday. This could be related to that so we'll have to wait and see 

SouthernCakes
#13ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 4:37pm

This is def opening to avoid comparisons to Juliet. 

It def doesn’t seem big enough for the Marquis. 

Alexander Lamar
#14ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 4:38pm

seaweedjstubbs said: "I feel like this show is WAY too similar to & JULIET to succeed. Not only do both share several songs, but they also share very similar themes. Is there enough room on Broadway for the both of them? I guess we’re gonna find out!

I actually had a good time when I saw it in DC, but it definitely needed some work. I’m sure it’ll be beefed up a bit more for Broadway, as the sets and costumes were far from Broadway worthy. Looking forward to seeing all the changes when it comes to Broadway!
"

&J was the first reason of thought of for why they’d be avoiding opening “this season” even though they are coming right after the Tonys deadline. I enjoyed the show in DC but it seems like a long shot to still be open for the 2024 Tonys. 

ElephantLoveMedley
#15ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 5:34pm

I saw this in D.C. last year and while I thoroughly enjoyed it, it doesn't hold a candle to the quality of & Juliet which comes off like masterpiece theatre compared to this stupid, silly romp of a time.

I really, REALLY hope they are beefing up the physical production for Broadway. The material was honestly mostly solid, but the show looked cheap and ugly last year. If it can somehow make it to & Juliet and/or Moulin Rouge levels of jukebox musical visual extravagance, it might have a chance.

Ke3
#16ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 6:28pm

I wonder if Britney is involved in this at all? Unless they use Work B*tch or Everytime they don't actually need her approval, but I can only imagine the bad press if she condemns it. 

jacobsnchz14
#17ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 6:41pm

Ke3 said: "I wonder if Britney is involved in this at all? Unless they use Work B*tch or Everytime they don't actually need her approval, but I can only imagine the bad press if she condemns it."

Both songs are used in the show.

BETTY22
#18ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 6:56pm

Will Britney fans show up the way ABBA fans did?

I think they will be disappointed that this is not the story of her life. 

jacobsnchz14
#19ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 7:02pm

BETTY22 said: "Will Britney fans show up the way ABBA fans did?

"

Or how some of the original lyrics are altered to match the plot of the show... i.e. like the title.

And since I am assuming Guarini is still playing the prince, he and Britney's fanbases kind of intersect and that's some kind of similar draw even though she's not in the show herself. Or I could be an overassumption. In the end: new shows, new jobs, new people buying tickets, so I'm happy. lol.

bwayfan07
#20ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 7:02pm

Do we know if there is a code for tomorrow morning?

jacobsnchz14
#21ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 7:06pm

bwayfan07 said: "Do we know if there is a code for tomorrow morning?"

I assume there will be since public onsale isn't until Monday.

pablitonizer
#22ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 7:37pm

Ke3 said: "I wonder if Britney is involved in this at all? Unless they use Work B*tch or Everytime they don't actually need her approval, but I can only imagine the bad press if she condemns it."

Yes, both are in the musical as well as 'Cinderella', 'Make Me', 'If I'm dancing', 'Passenger' among other songs written and co-written by Britney

Updated On: 12/1/22 at 07:37 PM

pablitonizer
#23ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 7:49pm

"

I don't think this musical is aiming for Britney fans only. When I saw the tryout in DC last year, the public was really diverse and sitting next to me there was a man in his 70s. During intermission he turned to me and said "I didn't know all these were Britney songs, I've heard most of them before so I'm surprised. This musical is so fun and great' 

I think this what the musical is aiming for, a very popular catalogue of songs that perhaps not everyone knows they're Britney's

LetTheSunshineIn2
#24ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 8:10pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I wonder if MiMi Scardulla makes the transfer… she’s doingA Beautiful Noiseright now.

Otherwise, I expect the full cast to transfer.
"

I was wondering the same thing about MiMi.  She was fantastic in the DC production.  

OhHiii
#25ONCE UPON A ONE MORE TIME at the Marquis Begins May 2023
Posted: 12/1/22 at 8:30pm

"

Think the diehard fans would probably feel a musical about her life, unless she was INTIMATELY involved in the development of the story, would be exploitative. So this may be a safer bet for the fans aspect. 

Though her life would make an excellent musical using her catalogue. 

Videos