pixeltracker

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread- Page 65

Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway - Reviews & News Thread

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1600Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/14/24 at 6:54pm

Today’s performance concluded with a pair of speeches from the two departing leads. Would love to hear some reports!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2GXb1GLv4K/?igsh=aTYwNWExc28zeGpw

Oh look, a bibu!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1601Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/14/24 at 6:55pm

(double post)

Oh look, a bibu!

MezzA101
#1602Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/14/24 at 8:49pm

What a lovefest! Audience was loud and applauded often, even for the cast that is remaining,  but it felt respectful and didn't stop the flow much. Having seen the first preview and several performances before today, the slapstick today was in another sphere. Go with the flow, Sondheim still shines. Marconi is no "sweet child," and Yearwood is no "young sailor." I missed those who originated the roles in this production. I also missed Gaten's sweet interaction with the Beggar Woman.

Ashford and Groban really lost it at "privates." Crowd ate it all up. Great show, felt more like a closing than just the two leads leaving. 

singer234
#1603Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/20/24 at 8:30pm

If you can catch Delaney Westfall as Lovett, do it. She was absolutely exceptional-what an actor. I felt like I was watching her discover her own talents in real time. Amazing, amazing, amazing performance. Funny without ever hamming it up. Been a while since I saw an understudy that left me feeling like I was going to see a lot, lot more of them in the future.

PipingHotPiccolo
#1604Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/21/24 at 12:25am

I was there tonight (TDF Row N Orch, extreme left but fine view) and was pleasantly surprised to find a full house of roaring excited patrons. IT seems the show is at least for now selling well on weekends even without "names"

Nicholas Christopher sings his face off and plays Sweeney sort of dead-eyed the way Groban did. It works, though I was hoping for more coloring outside the lines. Len Cariou had a certain charm to him that helped sell his demented behavior. Michael Cerveris was pure creepiness, Josh Groban was a solid attempt at depression. I still would like to see a more affable, seductive Sweeney but Im nitpicking. Christopher is great. 

So is de Waal, though she is very much trapped trying to be Annaleigh Ashford at times and whenever that happens, she falters. Her singing is outstanding and her take is less dizzying/ditzy, which I appreciated. Id love to see her originate this role without Ashford hanging over her. But again, shes great. 

Without the opening month buzz with Groban and Ashford the show drags here and there, but that actually made me appreciate the staging/direction a bit more, because when it clicks (the last 10 minutes, the opening of Act 2, the whole Pirelli sequence) it really clicks. Raymond J Lee is great as Pirelli, though I did miss Christopher a bit. Daniel Yearwood has gotten much better since I saw him last, and Ruthie Ann Miles is still giving 1000% and stealing every moment she can. 

Some drama in the audience tonight- could not really tell what was going on but someone was yelling a bit during Poor Things, and then there was a sea of ushers/house managers and at least one NYPD officer, rushing up and down the aisle. It was very distracting, but certainly seemed like they were trying to deal with a problematic audience member, who was eventually dragged out (literally dragged up the aisle, whining) by the House staff. Again it wasnt clear to me exactly what was going on, or who she was sitting with, but that front left orchestra burst into applause as she was being dragged out, causing Rapson and Jamie Jackson (still so excellent, both of them) to pause, confused, and start up again. Just reinforces my belief in the death penalty for disruptive audience members.

MemorableUserName
chrishuyen
#1606Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/21/24 at 12:56am

Piccolo, your assessment on the actors aligns with mine almost perfectly (I saw the show Thursday night).  This is the first in person production of Sweeney I've seen, which I first watched with Groban and Ashford (I liked Ashford more than most but Groban left me a bit cold).  I think Christopher added a dimension to Sweeney that I was missing with Groban and he was able to do more with the songs in terms of showing Sweeney's inner thoughts/struggles.  de Waal plays the same blocking as Ashford, but where it felt naturally ingrained into Ashford's physicality and characterization, it felt a little more consciously done for de Waal, so I agree she felt a little "trapped" in moments.  Though she has a much more toned down accent which made it better for hearing the lyrics and her Lovett is maybe less overtly horny/slightly more scared of Sweeney, though still fairy desperate for attention.

Raymond J. Lee was easily a standout of the supporting cast (and an audience favorite too by the sounds of it), and Daniel Yearwood was much better than my impression of him before, especially in the second act.  Maria Bilbao hadn't really made a huge impression on me before, but there just seemed to be an extra dimension to her this time and I'm not sure if I just didn't notice it before or if she has actually settled into the character more.  Daniel Marconi was fine as Tobias but seemed to be missing a little bit of the spark that Gaten Mattarazzo had when he was playing the role.

Based on audience reaction, it seems like a lot of people weren't familiar with Sweeney--a lot of gasps and quiet horror when certain things were revealed (a girl behind me in the bathroom line at intermission was talking about how creepy it was for them to talk about baking people into pies and sounded a bit affronted, which I found amusing).  But the audience energy seemed pretty high and the response enthusiastic.

MezzA101
#1607Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/24/24 at 2:07pm

At the performance I attended, Christopher said "...my arm is complete..." even though he appears to be right-handed.

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#1608Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/27/24 at 6:17pm

Well that was a thrilling afternoon of theatre. Nicholas Christopher was absolutely stunning as Sweeney Todd. Delaney Westfall was wonderful as Lovett ( not sure I liked some of the hamming ) but she sang it beautifully. I must say the last 30 minutes was so exciting edge of seat stuff. The final where they disappeared was brilliantly done. 
So glad I saw it, I had no interest when the two main leads were in. 
Also insanely excited audience today. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

MezzA101
#1609Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/27/24 at 6:24pm

Prices are cheaper during this interval. Still wonderful to see that this evening's performance is sold out.

Musicaldudepeter
#1610Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/27/24 at 6:30pm

How is Milan from RuPaul's Drag Race doing?

willep
#1611Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/27/24 at 6:37pm

Finally saw it this week. I really can’t get into Ashford’s performance on the recording, but I absolutely loved Delaney Westfall. She was the highlight of the production for us and we thought she should just be playing the role.

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#1612Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/28/24 at 9:21am

Musicaldudepeter said: "How is Milan from RuPaul's Drag Race doing?"

Dwayne Cooper is an ensemble swing, and was on Drag Race 12 years ago at this point. I’m not sure what you’re expecting. They’re still in the show, so I’m going to guess they’re doing just fine.

Updated On: 1/28/24 at 09:21 AM

pmondrian
#1613Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/28/24 at 10:32am

I saw the 8pm  performance on Jan. 20th, when the drunk woman in the orchestra section disrupted the show.  I was to the far left of her.  I have nothing to add to what happened that others didn't report above.

I do want to say how amazing Christopher and de Waal were in their roles.  Noone would think they had been the understudies.  Christopher brought a lot of drama to Sweeney and de Waal was very good.  Her "By the Sea" song stacks up against any version (even Angela Lansbury's version).  I hope both of them will be able to be the permanent lead once the "new stars" have to leave.  I'm not a fan of Sutton's so I'm glad I was able to see de Waal in the show.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#1614Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/28/24 at 10:36am

pmondrian said: "de Waal was very good. Her "By the Sea" song stacks up against any version (even Angela Lansbury's version). I hope both of them will be able to be the permanent lead once the "new stars" have to leave. I'm not a fan of Sutton's so I'm glad I was able to see de Waal in the show."

Does de Waal do all of the goofy stuff Ashford was doing? Like the split down the stairs and the 'COO COO' in 'By the Sea'?

hollebolle
#1615Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/29/24 at 9:02am

FANtomFollies said: "pmondrian said: "de Waal was very good. Her "By the Sea" song stacks up against any version (even Angela Lansbury's version). I hope both of them will be able to be the permanent lead once the "new stars" have to leave. I'm not a fan of Sutton's so I'm glad I was able to see de Waal in the show."

Does de Waal do all of the goofy stuff Ashford was doing? Like the split down the stairs and the 'COO COO' in 'By the Sea'?

"

Those moments yes, but her Lovett in general is much more grounded—not every line is played for laughs, which is how it felt for Ashford.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#1616Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/29/24 at 10:00am

I saw De Waal when she and Nicholas Christopher covered for Ashford and Groban when they were both out in the fall at one point. I thought they were both tremendous. Nicholas Christopher brings not only the big voice to the role, but also the "scariness factor" that Groban lacked. De Waal's Lovett, while still cooky and slightly inane, was nowhere near as hammy and over the top as Ashford was. Honestly, I preferred the performances from Christopher and De Waal to those of the two big headliners. They don't have the same star power, obviously, but I thought their performances worked much better with the material. Looking forward to seeing Tveit and Foster albeit some minor reservations I have about them stepping in...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

forfivemoreminutes
#1617Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/29/24 at 12:23pm

I was so impressed when I saw the show on Saturday night; de Waal and Christopher were absolutely incredible. Christopher is so intense and menacing, and de Waal sings the score beautifully. Highly recommend seeing the two of them before Foster and Tveit start!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#1618Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/31/24 at 5:19pm

Who here saw Joe Locke’s Broadway debut as Toby this afternoon?

Oh look, a bibu!

BCfitasafiddle
#1619Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/31/24 at 6:43pm

Joe Locke is a PERFECT Toby. His voice soars. I had no idea he could sing like that. I honestly preferred him over Gaten (who I also thought was tremendous). Go see him! 

Danasi
#1620Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/31/24 at 7:40pm

I agree, I thought he did a great job as Toby! I had no idea it was his first performance this afternoon until I saw it here. But it explains all the photographers who rushed down the aisle during the curtain call. I thought there might be a speech or something to explain why they were there since I hadn't seen that at a show before

Luminaire2 Profile Photo
Luminaire2
#1621Groban & Ashford in SWEENEY TODD On Broadway
Posted: 1/31/24 at 8:24pm

May have just heard a clip on IG, wow! Joe sounds incredible. His voice is beautiful. 

Videos