#250PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/5/23 at 3:01am

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread​​​​​

Updated On: 2/5/23 at 03:01 AM

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#251PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/5/23 at 7:57am

There's nepotism in every industry, in every culture, in every country. Access to money and power is how the world works. You seek to get it, you use what access you have or gain.

There's a ton more of it in other parts of theatre even, the other side of the table etc. So, it's a big tell when someone focuses on actors alone.

PipingHotPiccolo
#252PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/5/23 at 11:05am

BJR said: "There's nepotism in every industry, in every culture, in every country. Access to money and power is how the world works. You seek to get it, you use what access you have or gain.

There's a ton more of it in other parts of theatre even, the other side of the table etc. So, it's a big tell when someone focuses on actors alone.
"

I couldnt agree more- Ben Platt had an "in" that I would never have had. My point is only that such an "in" would explain his first gig, maybe two. It would not explain the career that followed. The gap between his career and his brother's proves the point.  

Refusing to see this isnt rational, and comes from someplace else-- i guess the kinda fact-free universe where  Bo Nix is on the Patriots while simultaneously being the Oregon State QB. 

JasonC3
#253PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/5/23 at 11:24am

If people really want to have a back and forth on nepotism in the industry perhaps that could be done in a thread devoted to the topic, so we can just discuss PARADE.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#254PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/5/23 at 1:16pm

PipingHotPiccolo said: "BJR said: "There's nepotism in every industry, in every culture, in every country. Access to money and power is how the world works. You seek to get it, you use what access you have or gain.

"

I couldnt agree more- Ben Platt had an "in" that I would never have had. My point is only that such an "in" would explain his first gig, maybe two. It would not explain the career that followed. The gap between his career and his brother's proves the point.

Refusing to see this isnt rational, and comes from someplace else-- i guess the kinda fact-free universe where Bo Nix is on the Patriots while simultaneously being the Oregon State QB.
"

I've always said Platt is very talented, so never discredited that. Him and his bf are just irksome to me. I don't get why that bothers you so much. It's just my opinion. And you're going to have yours and they might be different and that's fine? Move on babe. 

VintageSnarker
#255PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/6/23 at 12:54am

Could we take a quick break from nepotism to clarify which roles have been recast between NYCC and Broadway?

inception Profile Photo
inception
#256PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/6/23 at 8:35am

I bought a used copy of the Donmar recording online & it arrived Friday.   I gave it a bit of a listen this weekend.  So far I like it a lot more than the OBC recording.   Since it is over 2 discs they recorded more of the show so you get a better feel of how the songs work in context.  On the original recording I find everything seems so jumbled,  and without a proper synopsis in the liner notes, that it is difficult to understand the point of some of the songs.

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#257PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/6/23 at 9:07am

inception said: "I bought a used copy of the Donmar recording online & it arrived Friday. I gave it a bit of a listen this weekend. So far I like it a lot more than the OBC recording. Since it is over 2 discs they recorded more of the show so you get a better feel of how the songs work in context. On the original recording I find everything seems so jumbled, and without a proper synopsis in the liner notes, that it is difficult to understand the point of some of the songs."

I just started the Donmar recording and feel the same way! Although I adore the obc recording, the Donmar recording provides a lot more dialogue. 

trpguyy
#258PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/6/23 at 9:47am

RippedMan said: 
I've always said Platt is very talented, so never discredited that. Him and his bf are just irksome to me. I don't get why that bothers you so much. It's just my opinion. And you're going to have yours and they might be different and that's fine? Move on babe."

RippedMan, and really anyone who doesn’t care for “nepo-baby” Ben…

Pretend you’re in charge of the City Center Encores series and want/need to raise a lot of money through your gala event. Who do you cast as Leo Frank?

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#259PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/7/23 at 12:58pm

There's a free cast discussion tonight at 7:30 at Temple Emanu-El. In-person is full, but there's also a virtual option:

https://streicker-winterspring-2023.ticketleap.com/parade/

inception Profile Photo
inception
#260PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/13/23 at 8:34pm

Someone posted a picture from inside the theatre on Reddit today & it looks like the bandstand or raised stage or whatever is being used very similar to NYCC 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Broadway/comments/111ko3x/parade_cast_starts_rehearsals_at_the_jacobs_today/

Updated On: 2/13/23 at 08:34 PM

TaffyDavenport
#261PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/13/23 at 9:06pm

It's similar, but looks much less problematic for the front orchestra than City Center.

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion ThreadPARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

Hamilfan2
#262PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/13/23 at 9:28pm

I think cutting the orchestra from the stage was smart, they were so hidden by the tiered set anyway.  And with them gone it allows them to move the set back a bit which should help with site lines from the orchestra seats tremendously.

Still don’t love the tiered set, but definitely a marked improvement imo.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#263PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/13/23 at 9:32pm

So I am guessing the orchestra will be in the pit instead of on stage?

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#264PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/17/23 at 1:27pm

In-person rush tickets and SRO (for sold out performances) are both same-day and will cost $45.

The digital lottery will launch on February 28; entries open the day before a show and tickets also cost $45.

Oh look, a bibu!

pethian Profile Photo
pethian
#265PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/17/23 at 7:41pm

Sorry if I've missed the answer to this but do we know if the orchestra will be as large as it was at City Center?

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#266PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/17/23 at 7:55pm

Nope and we don’t know if the orchestra is on stage either. Given the same set up I don’t see why they’d change it up. But it looks pretty messy with the orchestra there. 

Dolly80
#267PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 12:55am

Are you kidding? They are loading the set in and you are assuming because there’s no orchestra there now, that they aren’t on stage?!

They will be on stage- they are clearly replicating the concert version here. It’s literally the same.

OhHiii
#268PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 7:34am

Dolly80 said: "Are you kidding? They are loading the set in and you are assuming because there’s no orchestra there now, that they aren’t on stage?!

They will be on stage- they are clearly replicating the concert version here. It’s literally the same.
"

Chill. If you took the time to look at the photo, there’s clearly not enough depth behind the platform for the orchestra. It’s reasonable to assume (and will have zero bearing on how good the show is) that the orchestra would be on the pit.

Dolly80
#269PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 8:06am

Whatever 🤣
They will fit more players at the sides. On the stage.

TaffyDavenport
#270PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 8:15am

Guess you haven't seen this pic that clearly shows where they've built the railing for the pit:

PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

Alex M Profile Photo
Alex M
#271PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/18/23 at 9:54am

Dolly80 said: "Are you kidding? They are loading the set in and you are assuming because there’s no orchestra there now, that they aren’t on stage?!

"

Get a life 

TaffyDavenport
#272PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/19/23 at 12:56am

Invited dress was tonight, and the view from the front orchestra still looks less than ideal:PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion ThreadPARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#273PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/19/23 at 1:02am

Gonna be some sore necks from people up front. 

binau Profile Photo
binau
#274PARADE On Broadway - News & Discussion Thread
Posted: 2/19/23 at 4:19am

Thankfully the pit should at least make it a little better. I honestly can’t believe we are getting a revival of Parade. Broadway is the best!!!

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000