NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - Reviews Thread

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#650NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/1/23 at 3:04pm

TaffyDavenport said: "Cast recording coming:

https://www.instagram.com/stories/lin_manuel/3093236337176342589/
"

Well now I want a bonus track on the respective cast albums.

A SWEENEY track rearranged in the style of Kander & Ebb, and an LMM Sweeney rap.

A NYNY song rearranged as a big dramatic choral piece, ala Sweeney.

BETTY22
#651NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/1/23 at 4:49pm

When I don't love a show, I often say nothing.

However, with this talented involved - how did things go so wrong? 

PipingHotPiccolo
#652NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/1/23 at 8:02pm

MemorableUserName said: " The debate, at least from where I'm sitting, is why he chose to write the puff piece, knowing it would mean forgoing reviewing a major show. Is it that he knew he couldn't be impartial (and that 2013 piece strongly indicates he wouldn't have been able to be harsh if needed to a piece that already had toxic buzz) so wrote the puff piece instead? Or is it that the puff piece feature, and Kander himself, mattered more to him than writing the review? Either way, doesn't it come back to...the personal relationship?"

Well, no. The personal relationship is a separate issue. If Jesse Green had left the Times to write for the WSJ, and Elisabeth Venticelli had done the Kander spread, Maya Phillips would write the NY NY Review. I dont know what role Green's relationship is playing here with Kander: meaning, I dont know if thats why he did the puff piece, and I dont know if that disqualifies him from reviewing NY NY (id assume he'd have to disclose it).

But once he does the puff piece for whatever reason, he ain't writing the review. This would be the same if someone did a puff piece on a movie star-- they wouldnt be able to review the movie being promoted. Its a journalism ethics thing that I thought was pretty obvious/well known. 

Matt Rogers Profile Photo
Matt Rogers
#653NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/1/23 at 8:14pm

Updated On: 5/1/23 at 08:14 PM

broadwayboy223
#654NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/1/23 at 9:19pm

I saw this past Saturday afternoon matinee and I have to say that I enjoyed it a lot. Is this a perfect show? No. But there is much to admire whether it's Colton's incredible voice and performance. The classic stroman dance and transitions. The MUSIC! Hearing great kander and ebb music is always a win. Don't agree with the reviews on this one (at least the harsher ones). 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#655NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/1/23 at 9:44pm

So much to admire! This will do well over the Summer with the tourists. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#656NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/1/23 at 9:47pm

BETTY22 said: "When I don't love a show, I often say nothing. However, with this talented involved - how did things go so wrong?"

May I direct you to the recent thread about THE GOODBYE GIRL, a musical created by Neil Simon, Marvin Hamlisch, David Zippel, Manny Azenberg, Gene Saks (fired and replaced by Michael Kidd), and Graciela Daniele, starring Bernadette Peters and Martin Short, based on an Oscar-winning film.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#657NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 5/2/23 at 12:05am

Bryce 2 said: "What does Ben Davis do in the show? I haven't heard anyone talk about him, or even seen him mentioned in reviews. He has a lovely voice, but I imagine he doesn't get to show it off in this."

It's a nothing role and if you didn't know he was in the show you would't think it was him but just another actor. Anyone could play that role. He plays a producer. He's just collecting a pay check thanks to Stro.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 5/2/23 at 12:05 AM

theatreguy12
#658NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/3/23 at 2:20am

I just saw this last week and had a very nice time.  I thought that much of the music was quite beautiful, and I thought the performances were great.  The sets, the costumes, the lighting were magical...in so many ways.  

Was there a plot?  Yes.  Was it fleshed out to any great depth?  No.  I agree with that.

In fact, the side stories that were going on at the same time weren't either.  But I didn't care.  I was just taken in by the colorful and sparkling nature of the show overall.  The way it touched on several stories relating to the dreams that people have behind their pilgrimage to NY, in addition to the one main story. It was fine with me.  I wasn't expecting Rent, or Next to Normal.  And I felt it delivered.  For what I needed at the moment.

Which just goes to show how subjective theater is.  I have been attending NY theater since I was a kid and saw Fiddler on the Roof on Broadway as it was nearing the end of its original run in the early 70s I think it was.  And I have been seeing shows ever since.  

There will always be those who dislike a show, and take some sort of glee out of feeling "vindicated" or proven "right" when the critics don't like the show either.  And that's fine.  Just as when people see a show they loved and the critics agree. 

For me, I couldn't care less what those who disliked this show think.  I saw it in spite of it. Because I knew of all the times, on numerous occasions, I didn't follow the critics, and was thoroughly enamored with shows they didn't particularly like.  So I look at clips from a show.  I listen to the clips of music they share, and make my decision.

And again, it's not like this is the first musical largely panned by the critics that I personally liked.  It won't be the last.  I will continue to make up my own mind as to what I think I might like, and see it. Regardless.

In closing, the friend with whom I saw NYNY didn't like it.  He really didn't care much for how the stories played out either. That they needed more depth.  Etc.  But he was willing to give some praise where it was due. And he certainly wasn't driven to feelings of hatred or anger over the show.  

Just my opinion.

Voter Profile Photo
Voter
#659NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/6/23 at 4:40pm

https://www.playbill.com/article/new-york-new-york-partners-with-drama-book-shop-to-offer-free-tickets-july-6

Time for a coffee run! New York, New York has partnered with the Drama Book Shop to offer free tickets to tonight's July 6 evening performance with the purchase of a "Major Chord Mocha" coffee from the bookstore's in-store cafe. Tickets are only applicable to tonight's performance, and are available in a limited quantity, with the small size coffee costing $5.76 and the large costing $6.26.

The Drama Book Shop is co-owned by Lin-Manuel Miranda, who supplied additional lyrics to the new Kander and Ebb musical.

There are like 3 other people called Voter on here, FYI. Deleted comment count: 12

Sutton Ross
#660NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/6/23 at 4:43pm

That is WONDERFUL. Attending a Broadway show for free and coffee? I love this so much. 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#661NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/6/23 at 5:44pm

If I didn’t get a free ticket for TRIPLE THREAT, I might’ve done this. All the tickets are gone now 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

hook132
#662NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/6/23 at 6:37pm

Anybody have an age recommendation for this show?  would a 9 and 10 year old enjoy? (for reference last year they went to music man and phantom, loved both)  Plan to take them to Pi and looking for one more, really don't want to do pan/wicked/lion king-

amiyagi
#663NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/6/23 at 8:03pm

hook132 said: "Anybody have an age recommendation for this show? would a 9 and 10 year old enjoy? (for reference last year they went to music man and phantom, loved both) Plan to take them to Pi and looking for one more, really don't want to do pan/wicked/lion king-"

Took my 13 year old niece, granted doesn't see a ton of theatre, but she was bored out of her mind. I can't blame her, I was too. She loves Wicked and Six. Enjoyed Akimbo she says, but clearly not to the same extent as the other two. 

Not sure about if the above are options, but & Juliet would maybe be more enjoyable? Loud, fun, good dancing, lots of colour, and an easy to follow story. Some of the jokes might go over their heads though. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#664NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/6/23 at 8:27pm

hook132 said: "Anybody have an age recommendation for this show? would a 9 and 10 year old enjoy? (for reference last year they went to music man and phantom, loved both) Plan to take them to Pi and looking for one more, really don't want to do pan/wicked/lion king-"

12+

Oh look, a bibu!

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#665NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/6/23 at 8:28pm

Personally I found the show incredibly boring, and I could barely keep up with the multiple plots. Besides the dancing, which is pretty standard for Bway, NYNY is nothing special. I would highly reccomend SLIH instead: a big flashy spectacular, gorgeous costumes, dancing, and hilarious. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#666NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/6/23 at 10:31pm

Would they be into Hamlet at Shakespeare in the Park?

Last summer when I went to Little Shop of Horrors there were people with kids even younger.  

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#667NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/6/23 at 10:40pm

inception said: "Would they be into Hamlet at Shakespeare in the Park?"

A three hour show in Shakespearean English? NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#668NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/7/23 at 8:33pm

Leaf Coneybear said: "hook132 said: "Anybody have an age recommendation for this show? would a 9 and 10 year old enjoy? (for reference last year they went to music man and phantom, loved both) Plan to take them to Pi and looking for one more, really don't want to do pan/wicked/lion king-"

Personally I found the show incredibly boring, and I could barely keep up with the multiple plots. Besides the dancing, which is pretty standard for Bway, NYNY is nothing special. I would highly reccomend SLIH instead: a big flashy spectacular, gorgeous costumes, dancing, and hilarious.
"

100% I don't see it lasting past this year if that? Go see SLIH far more entertaining all around! 

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Sutton Ross
#669NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/7/23 at 8:40pm

I'm here tonight and Colton is being extra weird and I'm loving it. But it hasn't really worked, a few laughs but this is a very tough audience. Also, no one is sitting in any box seats and the balcony appears to be empty with the exception of the first row? S*it, it's Friday night during the Summer so.... see this now if you're interested in this show!

Leaf Coneybear Profile Photo
Leaf Coneybear
#670NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/8/23 at 9:06am

Sutton Ross said: "I'm here tonight and Colton is being extra weird and I'm loving it. But it hasn't really worked, a few laughs but this is a very tough audience. Also, no one is sitting in any box seats and the balcony appears to be empty with the exception of the first row? S*it, it's Friday night during the Summer so.... see this now if you're interested in this show!"

And the promotion with the Drama Book Shop, while awesome, sort of tells me things aren’t looking too hot. Expect an announcement soon

David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#671NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/9/23 at 2:32pm

The promotion with the Drama Book Shop is what we call in business:  "Desperate Times =  Desperate Measures".  

MichelleCraig Profile Photo
MichelleCraig
#672NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 7/9/23 at 10:18pm

There was really no reason for this show to exist; an adaptation, sequel, prequel…depending on which PR piece you were reading. However, THE WORLD GOES ROUND paid homage to Kander & Ebb a while ago. It’s still being produced today and that keeps light on the legacy. The movie’s sort of a cult classic, but cult classics rarely become Broadway hits.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#673NEW YORK, NEW YORK On Broadway - P/reviews & News Thread
Posted: 10/5/23 at 10:49am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/NEW-YORK-NEW-YORK-Cast-Will-Celebrate-Cast-Recording-Release-With-a-Signing-at-the-Drama-Book-Shop-20231005

Colton RyanAnna UzeleSusan Stroman and other cast members, will celebrate the recent release of NEW YORK, NEW YORK Original Broadway Cast Recording with a special CD signing event at The Drama Book Shop (266 West 39th Street) on Friday, October 13 from 5:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Attendance is free but RSVPs are required.