pixeltracker

What Next For The Majestic?- Page 3

What Next For The Majestic?

veronicamae Profile Photo
veronicamae
#50What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/3/23 at 6:29pm

It's amusing that two posts back to back completely contradict one another.

Someone with connections says they heard it has a tenant, timing TBD. Followed immediately by someone saying nothing is scheduled regardless of timing.

Who's right?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#51What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/3/23 at 9:49pm

thedrybandit said: "Broadway Flash said: "Is something still trying to come in for Spring?"

My industry friends are hearing that something is booked for the spring. How rigid that booking is, I have no idea but it seems they're currently confident that the reno will be done.
"

My industry friends are saying nothing until fall '24

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Phantom4ever
#52What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/4/23 at 9:25am

this is turning into the Battle of the Industry Friends with Legit Knowledge because somebody's friends are clueless and some of these friends might know more. As is usually the case, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle--there is nothing confirmed but there will likely be a show at the Majestic by the fall of 2024--unless the reno takes longer. 

P.S. is it true that the took off the entire awning?  Anybody have pictures of that? I'll be disappointed if they put in video screens like almost every other theater but that's probably what will happen.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#53What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/4/23 at 9:39am

Phantom4ever said: P.S. is it true that the took off the entire awning? Anybody have pictures of that? I'll be disappointed if they put in video screens like almost every other theater but that's probably what will happen."

I’ll be back there next weekend hopefully and will look at it again. It would make sense though as it needs a massive facelift. I’m sure the Shuberts wanna go all in with making this their premiere musical house again. Still keeping my hopes up that they rename this theatre after Hal Prince! 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#54What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/4/23 at 12:49pm

The theatre doors were open last week and a brief peak inside revealed that the entire theatre seems to be completely gutted. That includes internal paint and details that I would assume will require artisan restoration work. I'd be shocked if this theatre were ready for a new tenant this spring.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

Phantom4ever
#55What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/4/23 at 1:11pm

And you know what else....people keep saying that the building hasn't been renovated since Phantom moved in in 1988, but actually, 42nd Street moved out in Spring 1987 and Phantom moved right in so there was no reno then either. The the most recent renovation would have been 1980! 

hearthemsing22
#56What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/4/23 at 4:14pm

Everyone seems to want to have some industry knowledge but I don't trust anything or anyone until official announcements are made. Except one time where I actually did ask a producer of a show about a closing and they confirmed it. But that was a few years ago, and I don't blab and claim to have industry contacts. 

BETTY22
#57What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/5/23 at 7:49pm

There is talk of working 24/7 to get it ready for Sunset. ALW would love to return to this theatre.

Plus, the "full" renovation can be completed after Sunset closes. 

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#58What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/5/23 at 11:04pm

I have heard the same, that Sunset will reopen the Majestic, but not this season 🤷‍♂️ 

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

OrchardAndRivington Profile Photo
OrchardAndRivington
#59What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/6/23 at 1:34am

to paraphrase.. "What 'Industry Friends'? My Industry Friends came to me from the grave and told me that their Industry Friends were big liars!" :-)

For those having seen Sunset UK, would its full use of the indoor/outdoor space work as well at the Majestic as it apparently does at the Savoy? Would the hotel fka Milford Plaza alleyway/stage door be helpful?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#60What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/6/23 at 3:21pm

OrchardAndRivington said: "For those having seen Sunset UK, would its full use of the indoor/outdoor space work as well at the Majestic as it apparently does at the Savoy? Would the hotel fka Milford Plaza alleyway/stage door be helpful?"

I think exiting via the three-theatre alley that opens onto 45th and then taking Joe east to Shubert Alley and then down to 44th and back to the Majestic entrance would be one of the better options. I believe it would be best to avoid any avenues.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#61What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/6/23 at 6:07pm

Lot666 said: "OrchardAndRivington said: "For those having seen Sunset UK, would its full use of the indoor/outdoor space work as well at the Majestic as it apparently does at the Savoy? Would the hotel fka Milford Plaza alleyway/stage door be helpful?"

I think exiting via the three-theatre alley that opens onto 45th and then taking Joe east to Shubert Alley and then down to 44th and back to the Majestic entrance would be one of the better options. I believe it would be best to avoid any avenues.

"

It's always impossible to walk-pass on 8th Avenue especially 43rd  - 46th Street. They would need to avoid this route if in fact Sunset ends up at the Majestic next season.

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

saxpower
#62What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/6/23 at 9:02pm

Is there some sort of open passageway from 45th to 44th between the Shoenfeld/Broadhurst and the Booth/Shubert?  It kind of looks like there is on satellite view and street view on Google Maps.  This would avoid the crowds In Shubert Alley.  It also looks like there's a door from the stage area to 44th street if they want a short route.

I never like talking about putting something else in a theatre which already has a show, but if they are doing it next season, and depending what happens with The Wiz, from my understanding of the concept of the production (with references to the modern world), the Marquis could create an interesting way of staging the Act II opening.  Start in the theatre lobby, up the escalator, then into the theatre.  No crowds to worry about, but still an interesting visual;. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#63What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/7/23 at 8:53am

saxpower said: "Is there some sort of open passageway from 45th to 44th between the Shoenfeld/Broadhurst and the Booth/Shubert? It kind of looks like there is on satellite view and street view on Google Maps. This would avoid the crowds In Shubert Alley. It also looks like there's a door from the stage area to 44th street if they want a short route."

There is what appears to be an alley between the Schoenfeld and the Booth, but I think it's similar to the three-theatre alley closer to 8th Avenue, which doesn't go all the way through the block to 44th. 

There is a stage loading door for the Majestic on 44th, near the Broadhurst end of the facade. Before they removed all the Phantom materials, it was the set of double doors wrapped in black with only the show title logo across them. If I recall correctly, those doors open directly onto the stage left wings.

Updated On: 12/7/23 at 08:53 AM

KKeller6
#64What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 12/7/23 at 9:32am

There are doors from the Broadhurst that open into that alley. 

jackkelly2024
#65What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 1/22/24 at 8:18pm

I got a brief peak inside and it appears that the auditorium is being primed (walls all white with scaffolding throughout). The marquee is gutted to its steel beams and being reinforced. I like many hope they will not install screens in lieu of traditional marquees, but I of course have no intel into the designs for the renovated exterior. 

With Sunset presumably going into the St. James, is there any further chatter about this house? I find it so odd that there would be no renderings or show announcement at this point, especially with ALW being very cavalier about Phantom returning to Broadway before it even closed. I'm starting to wonder if we'll see the Italy/Madrid production of POTO reopen this house. I have no insider knowledge at all, but they have been sell outs and it would avoid criticism about opening a thinly veiled downscaled production of the Hal Prince original.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#66What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/8/24 at 2:01pm

The marquee with the “Majestic” name was removed from the theatre last night. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#67What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/8/24 at 2:53pm

Jordan Catalano said: "The marquee with the “Majestic” name was removed from the theatre last night."

Hmm...do we think the marquee is simply being shined up, or are they renaming the theatre?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#68What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/8/24 at 3:02pm

That does seem to be the question going around. 

JSquared2
#69What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/8/24 at 3:09pm

It's getting a new digital marquee.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#70What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/8/24 at 3:11pm

JSquared2 said: "It's getting a new digital marquee."

Is that a theory or a fact?

Phantom4ever
#71What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/8/24 at 3:22pm

Has any of the exterior black paint been removed yet?

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#72What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/8/24 at 3:32pm

Phantom4ever said: "Has any of the exterior black paint been removed yet?"

I actually walked past it last night and some has but not all.

Flyboy_46259
#73What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/8/24 at 4:45pm

Was the Majestic painted black specifically for Phantom? I just assumed it was always that way. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#74What Next For The Majestic?
Posted: 2/8/24 at 4:51pm

Flyboy_46259 said: "Was the Majestic painted black specifically for Phantom? I just assumed it was always that way."

Yes, I believe it was painted black specifically for Phantom.