pixeltracker

Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?- Page 2

Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#25Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/21/23 at 7:46pm

Betty Buckley also opened in the title role of the Tony-winning MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD.

She's a divine talent, but for performers I have to go with my first and forever gay-boy crush, which will always be Julie Andrews.

For creators, there is no possible candidate more appropriate than John Kander.

Updated On: 3/21/23 at 07:46 PM

JSquared2
#26Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/21/23 at 8:33pm

Shouldn't it go to someone who has never won a Tony Award -- like Stephen Schwartz?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#27Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/21/23 at 9:21pm

Schwartz already received the Isabelle Stevenson Award in 2015. I don’t know if previous recipients of that can still eventually get a Lifetime Achievement prize. I guess maybe they could since the accolades themselves are very different.

JSquared2
#28Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/21/23 at 9:31pm

Jeffrey Karasarides said: "Schwartz already received the Isabelle Stevenson Award in 2015.I don’t know if previous recipients of that can still eventually get a Lifetime Achievement prize. I guess maybe they could since the accolades themselves are very different."

Exactly. The Stevenson Award is sort of the Tonys’ equivalent to “Miss Congeniality”.  

1stGent
#29Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/21/23 at 10:28pm

Lillias White

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#30Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/27/23 at 12:00am

Bright ideas just pop into me head...

Sweeney and Woods make this a perfect year to give the Lifetime Achievement Tony to the greatest orchestrator in the history of a Broadway . . . Jonathan Tunick! 

It's still nuts that he only has one Tony (TITANIC in 1997), but that category didn't exist until '97, and after that he was working with mostly smaller ensembles or slimming down his own previous charts for revivals.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jeffrey Seller and his press agent Matt Ross have already made a pitch to the various committees for this.

chewy5000 Profile Photo
chewy5000
#31Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/27/23 at 12:39am

Speaking of the Isabelle Stevenson Award, why hasn't Seth Rudetsky already received it by now?

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#32Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/27/23 at 1:40am

chewy5000 said: "Speaking of the Isabelle Stevenson Award, why hasn't Seth Rudetsky already received it by now?"

Honestly I was shocked they didn’t select him last year with all the money he helped raise through STARS IN THE HOUSE. He would be incredibly deserving.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#33Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/27/23 at 6:15am

Allow me to suggest Stockard Channing to be considered for this honor. 

The Other One
#34Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/30/23 at 10:57am

Not necessarily a lifetime achievement Tony, but a special award to Richard Ridge would be well-deserved.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#35Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/30/23 at 11:01am

The Other One said: "Not necessarily a lifetime achievement Tony, but a special award to Richard Ridge would be well-deserved."

Love him but there are at least 100 more deserving journalists & critics. And I don't think the Tonys have ever given a Lifetime Achievement Award or even a Tony Honors to a member of the press. (If they did, Brantley and Rich would probably have them already.)

JSquared2
#36Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/30/23 at 11:03am

The Other One said: "Not necessarily a lifetime achievement Tony, but a special award to Richard Ridge would be well-deserved."

An award for what, Most Annoying On-Air Personality??

morosco Profile Photo
morosco
#37Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/30/23 at 12:04pm

I strongly agree that this year would be a great year to give it to Jonathan Tunick

Jarethan
#38Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/30/23 at 7:05pm

David10086 said: "Glenn Close.

No denying she turned ALW's "Sunset Boulevard" around and made it the hit that it became in 1994-95. And she did it again in 2017, in a re-imagined revival. Give her the LATA - she's paid her dues since 1976, has won three Tonys and is a box office star. She deserves it at 76.
"

I think that is a very good recommendation, to me better than the original names, although I do see valid arguments in the Julie Andrews arguments.

However, if it is true that john Kander has not got one, that would seem like a no-brainer to me, especially with NYNY opening and him probably not eligible for a Tony nominations, although the title song and And the World Goes Round are as good as anything on Broadway IMO.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#39Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/30/23 at 8:58pm

LOL NO WAY Yes, to Jonathan Tunick!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/30/23 at 08:58 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#40Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/25/24 at 2:35pm

In my latest piece for Gold Derby, I’ve provided a poll asking people which female Broadway veteran deserves the next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award. Among the options are…

Debbie Allen
Patricia Birch
Stockard Channing
Glenn Close
Adrienne Kennedy
Carol Lawrence
Donna McKechnie
Liza Minnelli
Vanessa Redgrave
Lillias White

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2024/tonys-lifetime-achievement-award-poll-women/

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#41Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/25/24 at 2:56pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Sweeney and Woods make this a perfect year to give the Lifetime Achievement Tony tothe greatest orchestrator in the history of Broadway...Jonathan Tunick!"

Merrily makes this a perfect year to give the Lifetime Achievement Tony to the greatest orchestrator in the history of Broadway...Jonathan Tunick!

Updated On: 3/25/24 at 02:56 PM

Jeffrey Karasarides
#42Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/26/24 at 3:28pm

In my latest piece for Gold Derby, I’ve provided a poll asking people which male Broadway veteran deserves the next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award. Among the options are…

Harvey Fierstein
John Guare
John Lithgow
Terrence Mann
Trevor Nunn
Austin Pendleton
Tim Rice
Charles Strouse
Jonathan Tunick
Alfred Uhry

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2024/tonys-lifetime-achievement-award-poll-men/

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#43Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/26/24 at 3:54pm

Definitely Estelle Parsons. She has been doing shows on Broadway for close to 70 years. Such a wonderful talent.

The8re phan Profile Photo
The8re phan
#44Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/26/24 at 3:58pm

Liza, Harvey and Jonathan Tunick

Slotted spoons don't hold much soup

Jarethan
#45Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/26/24 at 4:32pm

I think there are three who deserve it more than anyone else.

-- Jonathan Tunick

-- John Lithgow

-- Glenn Close

Wayman_Wong
#46Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/26/24 at 5:50pm

Julie Andrew is SO overdue for a Lifetime Achievement Tony. She's created two of the most iconic leading lady roles as Eliza in ''My Fair Lady'' and Guinevere in ''Camelot.'' She's known worldwide as the film star of ''The Sound of Music.'' She's always been such a goodwill ambassador for musical theater. She's now 88, and 2024 marks the 70th anniversary of her Broadway debut in ''The Boyfriend.''

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#47Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/26/24 at 6:03pm

Daniel Sullivan

LuckyDipster Profile Photo
LuckyDipster
#48Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/27/24 at 4:27pm

How old does an actor usually have to be before they are considered a veteran?

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#49Who Deserves the Next Lifetime Achievement Tony Award?
Posted: 3/27/24 at 6:40pm

There’s a strong argument for Tim Rice, as one of the pivotal lyricists of the British musical invasion, the mega musical era, AND the Disney on Broadway industrial complex. With and without Andrew Lloyd Webber, Rice has four consecutive decades of writing for big, culturally relevant musicals. Beyond Sondheim, how many can say that?