mar6411
#3Tony’s host
Posted: 4/5/23 at 6:22pm

Tonys

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4Tony’s Host and Performances
Posted: 4/5/23 at 6:38pm

I think the move to United Palace in Washington Heights almost guarantees at least some involvement from Lin Manuel Miranda. 

My performance predictions include The Lion King opening the telecast with the circle of life, as a celebration of their 25th anniversary on Broadway. I think there’s also a strong chance that Lea Michele performs a number from funny girl, even without being eligible.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#5Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/5/23 at 6:58pm

Who is Tony? Who will be his host? Tonys Host and Performances 

It's called the Tonys! 

I don't think it needs a host and I hope the performances are all filmed at their respective theaters because it always looks better that way. It's in my old neighborhood which is so exciting and will absolutely involve my former neighbor Lin Manuel Miranda. How exciting. heart

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#6Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/5/23 at 7:05pm

Hahahahaha, love that, Sutton.

I absolutely think Lin should host this year because 1) it’s basically in his backyard, 2) he’s working on one of the eligible musicals this season, and 3) he’s seen a LOT of the other shows this season, including the long runners, so he can flout his incredible knowledge (and maybe spit a verse or two?) on a national stage. 

Oh look, a bibu!
Updated On: 4/5/23 at 07:05 PM

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#7Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/5/23 at 7:17pm

Yes to all, sweets. 

Impeach2017 Profile Photo
Impeach2017
#8Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/5/23 at 8:12pm

ChatGPT

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#9Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/5/23 at 8:54pm

Jinkx Monsoon

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert
Updated On: 4/7/23 at 08:54 PM

Dollypop
#10Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 12:10am

Beanie Feldstein

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

QueenTwinnied
#11Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 12:12am

Emmy Rossum

B212323
#12Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 12:50am

He has said repeatedly he's not interested in hosting as he helped write the end of show raps for NPH and saw first hand how crazy it is for the host. Plus he'll most likely be a nominee this year. 

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#13Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 11:26am

Jinkx Monsoon is such a great idea! But I believe she will still be touring, so its probably not an option.

Lin is the obvious choice. He's seen everything this season (I've spotted him twice, most recently at Dancin with Karen Olivo), and though I know he's said he doesn't want to take on the stress of a host...I am hoping that he is secretly preparing. Not only would he be great at it, he would bring in tons of viewers.

It could be fun if a bunch of the Schmigadoon cast co-hosted since their mostly all Broadway folks, and some have hosted before. Imagine Chenoweth, Cumming, DeBose, Burgess and Krakowski doing it together? But its highly doubtful CBS will want to promote a show on a different network.

Would Groban and Ashford take it on? They are the only musical stars on Broadway right now who I think could pull it off while also having the right name recognition to satisfy CBS's viewer requirements. It's a lot of work to do on top of a show, but has been done before 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#14Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 11:42am

I would LOVE Jinx Monsoon to host!! It’s very important right now as drag queens are under assault in this country. Or perhaps Dylan Mulvaney. Billy Porter? If not, I’d also love to see Rosie O’Donnell do it again. Are there any actual rumors of who might host?

Broadway61004
#15Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 11:50am

B212323 said: "Plus he'll most likely be a nominee this year."

Nominated for what? There's nowhere near enough new music in NYNY for it to be eligible for score.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#16Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 11:55am

Broadway Flash said: "perhaps Dylan Mulvaney"

When was the last time a Tonys host never actually appeared on Broadway? It's only a matter of time for Mulvaney -- she's so talented and is building up a following -- but can't imagine the Tonys would put someone front & center whose main cred is very online TikTokers, who most of the general/ticketbuying public has still never heard of. Hosting the red carpet or a backstage cam would be a different story!

Jinkx could be a great cohost alongside someone else.

Still surprised CBS hasn't roped Colbert into hosting.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#17Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 12:00pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Broadway Flash said: "perhaps Dylan Mulvaney"

When was the last time a Tonys host never actually appeared on Broadway? It's only a matter of time for Mulvaney -- she's so talented and is building up a following -- but can't imagine the Tonys would put someone front & center whose main cred is very online TikTokers, who most of the general/ticketbuying public has still never heard of.Hosting the red carpet or a backstage cam would be a different story!

Still surprised CBS hasn't roped Colbert into hosting.
"

Hugh Jackman has mentioned that when he was asked to host for the first time in 2003, he was surprised because he at that point had never been on Broadway before (which obviously changed later that year with The Boy From Oz). I too am surprised Stephen Colbert hasn't hosted yet. I wonder if it's a case of CBS wanting their Tony hosts to avoid running into political territory.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#18Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 12:03pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Would Groban and Ashford take it on? They are the only musical stars on Broadway right now who I think could pull it off while also having the right name recognition to satisfy CBS's viewer requirements."

I'd say Groban more than Ashford. The latter is still primarily a Broadway name. While she has been a series regular on a couple TV shows, I doubt a majority of mainstream audiences are even aware of who she is.

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#19Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 12:20pm

Yes obviously Groban has more fame than Ashford outside the theater world. But they would host together. It's an immense commitment to rehearse and prepare for hosting duties on top of a Broadway performance schedule. This is why they often do co-hosts in this situation (ie: Cumming and Cheno) to lighten the load. Ashford's comedic abilities would work well for hosting and she and Groban could share the workload and have someone to bounce off of. 

And Colbert has been asked for the past several years and always declined. It's a lot of work for a tiny amount of pay. Plus, you're basically guaranteed to be ripped apart by the internet no matter what happens. An award show host is an unenviable gig and has become a difficult position to fill across all awards shows. A lot of top talent has zero interest in doing it in today's climate.

fbueller
#20Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 12:24pm

Theatrefanboy1 said: "Personally I’d love a Rosie O’Donnell hosting return.

Rosie O’Donnell.  What is her current Q score in the entertainment industry.  I don’t think she isn’t very well liked.  The 90s are over.

Updated On: 4/6/23 at 12:24 PM

Broadway Flash
#21Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 12:59pm

Actually the 90s are back since millennials are all grown up, and we’re currently seeing a lot of throwbacks to that era. I think Rosie is a great choice. I definitely grew up watching her. 

B212323
#22Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 1:49pm

Most nominees and likely winners won't want to host plus there's really no way you can rehearse for the Tonys doing shows 8x times a week. CBS will want a recognizable name - preferably a star from a CBS/Paramount series.  

B212323
#23Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 1:55pm

Isn't that why they added new songs? To qualify? 

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#24Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 2:06pm

B212323 said: "Most nominees and likely winners won't want to host plus there's really no way you can rehearse for the Tonys doing shows 8x times a week.

Tell that to Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick.

Broadway Flash
#25Tonys Host and Performances
Posted: 4/6/23 at 2:30pm

Also kristin chenoweth hosted when she was in On the twentieth century?