News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway

HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#1HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 4/19/23 at 8:01am

The Broadway production of “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” has recouped its initial capitalization, Broadway News has learned.

According to a spokesperson for the production, the play made back its Broadway investment “late last year (2022).” The representative continued, “The formerly two-part play returned as a single play after the shutdown and has become one of the great post-pandemic success stories on Broadway.” 

“Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” will celebrate its fifth anniversary on April 22 and will begin a previously announced series of celebratory events on April 19.

The play opened in its original two-part version on April 22, 2018. Following the pandemic-induced shutdown, the play resumed as one part on Nov. 12, 2021, ahead of an official reopening on Dec. 7. The production won six 2018 Tony Awards, including Best Play.

Written by Jack Thorne and directed by John Tiffany, “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child” is produced on Broadway by Sonia Friedman Productions, Colin Callender and Harry Potter Theatrical Productions.

https://broadwaynews.com/2023/04/18/harry-potter-and-the-cursed-child-recoups-investment/

willep
#2HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 4/19/23 at 8:21am

Congrats to them!

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#3HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 4/19/23 at 10:48am

First production to recoup at that theater, breaking its curse (pun intended).

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

binau Profile Photo
binau
#4HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 4/19/23 at 11:13am

I'm guessing this is of the original £35 million capitalisation cost and not the additional £30 million or so someone (else?) paid to evict + reconfigure the theatre? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#5HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 4/19/23 at 11:25am

binau said: "I'm guessing this is of the original £35 million capitalisation cost and not the additional £30 million or so someone (else?) paid to evict + reconfigure the theatre?"

Wondering the same thing, I was surprised to read this recouped.

bdn223 Profile Photo
bdn223
#6HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 4/19/23 at 11:25am

binau said: "I'm guessing this is of the original £35 million capitalisation cost and not the additional £30 million or so someone (else?) paid to evict + reconfigure the theatre?"

Yes it would be the reported $65M capitalization, but likely does not include all of the renovation costs as I've been told a signifgant amount of those were paid for out of pocket by the ATG. I also have to assume this includes any additional investments made over the pandemic to restructure the show into a single part. The question is how much did that cost, but its clear it was worth that additional investment.

This makes it the most expensive show on Broadway to every turn a profit, and being the 2nd most expensive show in Broadway history costing nearly double what the 3rd most expensive production cost that is not small feat. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#7HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 4/19/23 at 11:26am

Congrats to them! Very unique experience! 

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#8HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 4/19/23 at 11:28am

Holy damn. Especially with the pandemic, this is a feat that is most impressive, regardless of my feelings about the show itself. (I’m not a huge Potter fan and saw the original two-parter to say I saw it)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 4/19/23 at 12:04pm

bdn223 said: "binau said: "I'm guessing this is of the original £35 million capitalisation cost and not the additional £30 million or so someone (else?) paid to evict + reconfigure the theatre?"

Yes it would be the reported $65M capitalization, but likely does not include all of the renovation costs as I've been told a signifgant amount of those were paid for out of pocket by the ATG. I also have to assume this includes any additional investments made over the pandemic to restructure the show into a single part. The question is how much did that cost, but its clear it was worth that additional investment.

This makes it the most expensive show on Broadway to every turn a profit, and being the 2nd most expensive show in Broadway history costing nearly double what the 3rd most expensive production cost that is not small feat.
"

Well said. Notable and commendable all around.

CURSED CHILD is such a great vehicle for beautiful stagecraft, it's a shame that script got in the way HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway

As far as I know, the only shows recoup on Broadway since theatres reopened are:

- Six

- Music Man

- Lehman Trilogy

- MJ should be close to it, or might have already recouped

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#10HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 4/19/23 at 1:16pm

Didn’t HADESTOWN recoup post-pandemic as well?

Updated On: 4/19/23 at 01:16 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#11HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 4/19/23 at 1:26pm

Someone in a Tree2 said: "Didn’t HADESTOWN recoup post-pandemic as well?"

it announced in November 2019

JSquared2
#12HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 4/19/23 at 1:58pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "As far as I know, the only shows recoup on Broadway since theatres reopened are:

- Six

- Music Man

- Lehman Trilogy

- MJ should be close to it, or might have already recouped
"

I'm pretty sure that PLAZA SUITE recouped.

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#13HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 12/30/23 at 6:47am

Apparently, Cursed Child had a big enough year internationally that JK Rowling got paid a $10.5M dividend. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#14HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 12/30/23 at 1:01pm

Jonathan Cohen said: "Apparently, Cursed Child had a big enough year internationally that JK Rowling got paid a$10.5M dividend."

I'm not surprised. I just did a research project on Sonia Friedman and learned that the “underlying rights owner, licensor and their affiliates” for the Broadway production (which includes Joanne) got 31% of the profits initially and 41% "as the show moves deeper into profitability" and she's also one of the three producers, so she gets a cut of the profits that way too. I'm sure it's a similar arrangement for the other productions. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/14/theater/harry-potter-broadway.html  

Charley Kringas Inc Profile Photo
Charley Kringas Inc
#15HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 12/30/23 at 1:46pm

I hope the check gives her a paper cut.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#16HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD recoups on Broadway
Posted: 2/13/24 at 8:27pm

Was taking a look at some recent SEC filings and found the Harry Potter tour was being capitalized at $23.5 million! Is this the most expensive budget for a tour? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Videos