pixeltracker

Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation

Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation

Ke3
#1Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 11:26am

From Variety: Cynthia Erivo will star in a film adaptation of the theater sensation “Prime Facie,” Variety can report exclusively.

Participant and Bunya Productions announced Monday that Oscar nominee Erivo will take on the role originated on the West End (and, currently, on Broadway) by actor Jodie Comer. Erivo will also executive produce the project through her banner Edith’s Daughter.

BAFTA winner and Emmy nominee Susanna White (“Woman Walks Ahead,” “Star Wars: Andor&rdquoCynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation will direct. Suzie Miller will adapt her own critically-acclaimed stage play for the screen.

“Prima Facie,” which translates to “at first sight,” tells the propulsive story of ambitious and confident defense attorney Tessa. From working class roots, the rising star in the high-powered London legal system skillfully defends her clients — including those accused of sexual assault. But after she is raped by a colleague, she discovers that the law does not deliver justice along the boundaries of consent.

“I am thrilled to be joining Suzie, Susanna, Participant, Bunya and the rest of the team on this journey,” Erivo told Variety. “Tessa’s experience sheds such vulnerable light on the complex conversations around consent and sexual abuse and the law that surrounds it, which is all too relatable for so many and timely for all.”

Currently in production on the hugely-anticipated screen adaptation of “Wicked,” Erivo also praised “Killing Eve” star Comer’s stage performance as Tessa (which landed the latter an Olivier award and a recent Tony nomination).

“Jodie Comer’s powerhouse exploration of that struggle on Broadway is nothing short of beautiful and heart-wrenching,” said Erivo. “When I read this script I knew it was important work to do. I look forward to getting to know who Tessa is to me as ‘Prima Facie’ goes from stage to screen.”

Bunya’s Greer Simpkin, David Jowsey and Jenny Cooney will produce the feature alongside Participant. Miller, Solome Williams and Participant’s Jeff Skoll will executive produce alongside Erivo. Robert Kessel and Elizabeth Haggard will oversee the project for Participant.

Playwright Miller called Erivo “a highly talented and nuanced actor who will create a bold and dynamic Tessa for the screen.” After catching the play in London, Participant CEO David Linde said he was “blown away by Suzie’s work, and I’ve known Susanna long enough to know that I cannot wait for this story to be reinvented for the screen through her lens.”

The play first opened in Australia in 2020 and is currently launching in over 25 countries. It has earned four Tony Award nominations, and won the 2023 Olivier for best new play and best actress. The play also swept the Australian Writers Guild Awards.

Erivo is represented by UTA, Authentic Talent and Literary Management, Peikoff Mahan and The Lede Company. White is represented by Casarotto Ramsay & Associates and CAA. Miller is represented by HLA Management and The Agency.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#2Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 11:28am

Why not Jodie Comer? If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

theatergoer3
#3Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 11:34am

I’m sure Erivo will be good but I’ll echo the other comment.

Why not Comer ?

Her star is on the rise and this could’ve broken her out even further. She’s doing incredible work on stage. 

WldKingdomHM Profile Photo
WldKingdomHM
#4Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 11:35am

theatergoer3 said: "I’m sure Erivo will be good but I’ll echo the other comment.

Why not Comer ?

Her star is on the rise and this could’ve broken her out even further. She’s doing incredible work on stage.
"

it should be comer. She worked so hard 

theatergoer3
#5Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 11:39am

WldKingdomHM said: "theatergoer3 said: "I’m sure Erivo will be good but I’ll echo the other comment.

Why not Comer ?

"

it should be comer. She worked so hard

"
I hope they at least asked her. 

Maybe she wants to move on/is burnt out after doing it on the West End and now Broadway. And at least it was filmed for NT Live. 

Erivo should easily compete for her second Oscar nom tho now. If not third depending on Wicked. 

gibsons2
#6Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 11:49am

Yeah, no.... I saw Erivo only in The Outsiders and Harriet. She may have a tremendous voice, but she isn't a very strong, nuanced actress, especially to handle the material like Prima Facie. Oh, also saw her in that horrible Pinocchio adaptation, which I didn't have the stomach to finish. Why her? EGOT at any cost?

Updated On: 5/15/23 at 11:49 AM

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#7Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 11:56am

I'm just assuming the film adaptation will be more than Cynthia Erivo simply replicating the stage presentation and will have other actors playing the additional characters, in which case I don't need to see Jodie Comer play the role again. The brilliance of the theatrical performance is that it's just her, and I've already seen that (twice), so I don't care if the movie goes in a different direction.

Updated On: 5/15/23 at 11:56 AM

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#9Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 12:25pm

Huh.

I understand Comer (or the filmmakers) perhaps not wanting to try to translate her stage performance to the screen after the debacle of DEH, though this is kind of a different situation.......but in that case I'd have expected them to go with someone who means MORE than Comer, not less.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#10Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 12:28pm

Interesting. As most people have noted, the strength of “Prima Facie” is in Comer’s extraordinary and uniquely theatrical performance. The story, if told in a normal narrative form, could easily end up like a movie-of-the-week. Not saying the story and theme is unimportant or tired, just that it was written for the stage in such a unique way that (I, at least feel) a regular film could no way capture what makes the piece so special. But we shall see. 

At least we have the NTLive recording. 

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#11Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 12:31pm

This is just as perplexing as Erivo not doing The Color Purple movie. The whole point of both films seemed to be their Broadway stars and neither of them are doing the films.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#12Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 12:36pm

TaffyDavenport said: "I'm just assuming the film adaptation will be more than Cynthia Erivo simply replicating the stage presentation and will have other actors playing the additional characters, in which case I don't need to see Jodie Comer play the role again. The brilliance of the theatrical performance is that it's just her, and I've already seen that (twice), so I don't care if the movie goes in a different direction."

And with that, I also wonder if they adapt it for Tessa's race to be a part of the story. 

BorisTomashevsky
#13Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 1:29pm

Why oh why is today not April 1…

BETTY22
#14Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 1:43pm

I wonder if the film with be color conscious or color blind?

gibsons2
#15Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 2:17pm

BETTY22 said: "I wonder if the film with be color conscious or color blind?"

I hope it will be color conscious. The play reflects the experience, reactions and self reflections of clearly a non-BIPOC woman. The whole Tessa character will have to be rewritten, otherwise it would be the most uncompelling film ever made. Bizzarre choice for Cynthia, if she wants that Oscar so bad.

Updated On: 5/15/23 at 02:17 PM

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#16Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 2:34pm

The reason Cynthia Erivo is cast is because she is producing the movie. She must really want the Oscar. I won't see it, it should be Comer.

Updated On: 5/15/23 at 02:34 PM

JSquared2
#17Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 2:37pm

gibsons2 said: "BETTY22 said: "I wonder if the film with be color conscious or color blind?"

I hope it will be color conscious. The play reflects the experience, reactions and self reflections of clearly a non-BIPOC woman. The whole Tessa character will have to be rewritten, otherwise it would be the most uncompelling film ever made. 

Where on earth do you get that from?  Are there no black female defense attorneys (in London or elsewhere)?

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#18Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 2:42pm

Pass on Cynthia.  Comer should find a way to produce.

gibsons2
#19Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 2:57pm

JSquared2 said: "gibsons2 said: "BETTY22 said: "I wonder if the film with be color conscious or color blind?"

I hope it will be color conscious. The play reflects the experience, reactions and self reflections of clearly a non-BIPOC woman. The whole Tessa character will have to be rewritten, otherwise it would be the most uncompelling film ever made.

Where on earth do you get that from? Are there no black female defense attorneys (in London or elsewhere)?

"

Of course there are plenty, how did you get this strange conclusion from my post? It's not about being an attorney, it's about very nuanced reactions and and steps Tessa takes that makes this SA story not universally applicable to all women. If you aren't able to decipher these nuances, it's on you.

Updated On: 5/15/23 at 02:57 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#20Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 3:10pm

George in DC said: "The reason Cynthia Erivo is cast is because she is producing the movie. She must really want the Oscar. I won't see it, it should be Comer."

As with a lot of these things, she probably only came on as a producer because of her casting, as an added bonus (which she and other stars do). Or saw it and hustled to get the rights for herself to star in it. 

BorisTomashevsky
#21Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 3:24pm

I suppose there was no first look clause for either Harbridge or Comer for either the Australian or London productions. 

Updated On: 5/15/23 at 03:24 PM

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#22Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 3:26pm

There is no way this wasn't offered to Comer first, who in addition to pretty much owning this role is internationally famous for "Killing Eve." She obviously passed since this play may very well not translate well to film, and she is probably ready to move on to other roles.

As someone else already pointed out, I also imagine that the film will NOT be a one-woman telling of the story, and that other actors will be playing the supporting characters.

Jarethan
#23Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/15/23 at 3:54pm

jkcohen626 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "I'm just assuming the film adaptation will be more than Cynthia Erivo simply replicating the stage presentation and will have other actors playing the additional characters, in which case I don't need to see Jodie Comer play the role again. The brilliance of the theatrical performance is that it's just her, and I've already seen that (twice), so I don't care if the movie goes in a different direction."

And with that, I also wonder if they adapt it for Tessa's race to be a part of the story.
"

I saw LaChance, Fantasia and Erivo and I actually liked Fantasia the best.  If you do a search of reviews when she joined the Broadway cast and from the tour, she received incredible reviews for a performance I didn’t think she had in her.  All three were terrific, but Fantasia was just a little more heartbreaking.

willep
B212323
#25Cynthia Erivo to Star in ‘Prima Facie,’ Film Adaptation
Posted: 5/16/23 at 12:13am

The shoot dates conflicted with Wicked

Videos