News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

2024 Tony Awards

BeingAlive44Ever
#752024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/2/24 at 6:06pm

dramamama611 said: "I don't believe anyone is "above the title" for this show.

Above the title doesn't automatically mean lead vs featured. (Logic would say it does, but no.) It's a sales device from production side and a place of honor from actor's point of view.

I adore Chip - but his name isn't going to sell enough tickets that he gets above the title.
"

I can't believe this

I'm going to be so sad if he doesn't get a nomination 

I mean really he didn't get a nomination for Falsettos, Into the Woods, or any of the other shows he was in 

I really just hope they give him

A nomination this year

broadwayfan_7214
#762024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/23/24 at 8:09pm

These are my predictions for the big 10 categories

Best Musical

• Hell's Kitchen
  • Lempicka
  • Suffs
  • The Notebook
  • The Outsiders

Best Play

• Appropriate
  • Mary Jane
  • Patriots
  • Prayer for the French Republic
  • Stereophonic

Best Musical Revival

• Cabaret
  • Merrily We Roll Along
  • The Who's Tommy
  • The Wiz

Best Play Revival

• An Enemy of the People
  • Doubt
  • Purlie Victorious
  • Uncle Vanya

Best Musical Actor

• Eddie Redmayne - Cabaret
  • Brian d'Arcy James - Days of Wine and Roses
  • Chip Zien - Harmony
  • Jonathan Groff - Merrily We Roll Along
  • Ali Louis Bourzgui - The Who's Tommy

Best Play Actor

• Jeremy Strong - An Enemy of the People
  • Liev Schreiber - Doubt
  • Michael Stuhlberh - Patriots
  • Leslie Odom Jr - Purlie Victorious
  • Steve Carrell - Uncle Vanya

Best Musical Actress

• Gayle Rankin - Cabaret
  • Kelli O'Hara - Days of Wine and Roses
  • Maleah Joi Moon - Hell's Kitchen
  • Eden Espinosa - Lempicka
  • Nichelle Lewis - The Wiz

Best Play Actress

• Sarah Paulson - Appropriate
  • Tyne Daly - Doubt
  • Rachel McAdams - Mary Jane
  • Jessica Lange - Mother Play
  • Betsy Aidem - Prayer for the French Republic

Best Supporting Musical Actor

• Steven Skybell - Cabaret
  • Conrad Ricamora - Here Lies Love
  • Liam Pearce - How to Dance in Ohio
  • Daniel Radcliffe - Merrily We Roll Along
  • Paul Alexander Nolan - Water for Elephants

Best Supporting Play Actor

• Michael Imperioli - An Enemy of the People
  • Corey Stoll - Appropriate
  • Will Keen - Patriots
  • Billy Eugene Jones - Purlie Victorious
  • William Jackson Harper - Uncle Vanya

Best Supporting Musical Actress

• Bebe Neuwirth - Cabaret
  • Shoshana Bean - Hell's Kitchen
  • Lindsay Mendez - Merrily We Roll Along
  • Leslie Rodriguez Kritzer - Monty Python's Spamalot
  • Grace McLean - Suffs

Best Supporting Play Actress

• Francis Benhamou - Prayer for the French Republic
  • Kara Young - Purlie Victorious
  • Sarah Pidgeon - Stereophonic
  • Dana Steingold - The Cottage
  • Alison Pill - Uncle Vanya

Thoughts???

Updated On: 1/23/24 at 08:09 PM

BeingAlive44Ever
#772024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/23/24 at 8:56pm

broadwayfan_7214 said: "These are my predictions for the big 10 categories

Best Musical

• Hell's Kitchen
  • Lempicka
  • Suffs
  • The Notebook
  • The Outsiders

Best Play

• Appropriate
  • Mary Jane
  • Patriots
  • Prayer for the French Republic
  • Stereophonic

Best Musical Revival

• Cabaret
  • Merrily We Roll Along
  • The Who's Tommy
  • The Wiz

Best Play Revival

• An Enemy of the People
  • Doubt
  • Purlie Victorious
  • Uncle Vanya

Best Musical Actor

• Eddie Redmayne - Cabaret
  • Brian d'Arcy James -Days of Wine and Roses
  • Chip Zien -Harmony
  • Jonathan Groff -Merrily We Roll Along
  • Ali Louis Bourzgui -The Who's Tommy

Best Play Actor

• Jeremy Strong -An Enemy of the People
  • Liev Schreiber -Doubt
  • Michael Stuhlberh -Patriots
  • Leslie Odom Jr -Purlie Victorious
  • SteveCarrell -Uncle Vanya

Best Musical Actress

• Gayle Rankin -Cabaret
  • Kelli O'Hara -Days of Wine and Roses
  • Maleah Joi Moon -Hell's Kitchen
  • Eden Espinosa -Lempicka
  • Nichelle Lewis-The Wiz

Best Play Actress

• Sarah Paulson - Appropriate
  • Tyne Daly -Doubt
  • Rachel McAdams - Mary Jane
  • Jessica Lange -Mother Play
  • Betsy Aidem -Prayer for the French Republic

Best Supporting Musical Actor

• Steven Skybell -Cabaret
  • Conrad Ricamora -Here Lies Love
  • Liam Pearce -How to Dance in Ohio
  • Daniel Radcliffe -Merrily We Roll Along
  • Paul Alexander Nolan -Water for Elephants

Best Supporting Play Actor

• Michael Imperioli -An Enemy of the People
  • Corey Stoll -Appropriate
  • Will Keen -Patriots
  • Billy Eugene Jones -Purlie Victorious
  • William Jackson Harper -Uncle Vanya

Best Supporting Musical Actress

• Bebe Neuwirth -Cabaret
  • Shoshana Bean -Hell's Kitchen
  • Lindsay Mendez -Merrily We Roll Along
  • Leslie Rodriguez Kritzer -Monty Python's Spamalot
  • Grace McLean -Suffs

Best Supporting Play Actress

• Francis Benhamou -Prayer for the French Republic
  • Kara Young -Purlie Victorious
  • Sarah Pidgeon -Stereophonic
  • Dana Steingold -The Cottage
  • Alison Pill -Uncle Vanya

Thoughts???

"

I desperately want Chip to get a nomination, but most people on here have been saying that his name technically isn't above the title, so he probably isn't eligible 

That being said, there's been some weird stuff with eligibility in the Tony Awards before, but it's somehow more likely he'll get a featured nomination

Your Best Musical nominations seem fair to me, though I feel like just on the name and the financial success, Back to the Future could get a nomination

Also I don't know why but I have a suspicion that Katie Rose Clarke is going to get a Featured Actress Nomination alongside Lindsay Mendez 

I know two nominations in the Featured Actress category sounds really weird but for some reason I find it likely

That's all I really have to say, maybe some different nominations could sub in or out here and there but nothing else I feel obligated to state

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#782024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/23/24 at 9:00pm

Water for elephants could be a sleeper hit.  We’ll see what happens with Great Gatsby.  I think those two could be sleeper hits.

BeingAlive44Ever
#792024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/23/24 at 9:10pm

Broadway Flash said: "Water for elephants could be a sleeper hit. We’ll see what happens with Great Gatsby. I think those two could be sleeper hits."

You could be right, but they have pretty darn late opening dates

I hope Jeremy and Eva get nominations, at least

broadwayfan_7214
#802024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/24/24 at 1:02am

Broadway Flash said: "Water for elephants could be a sleeper hit. We’ll see what happens with Great Gatsby. I think those two could be sleeper hits."

I think Water for Elephants and Gatsby will succeed in the design categories (especially gatsby) because i think thats the best thing about those shows. (I haven't seen water for elephants this is just what i've heard from other people)

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#812024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/24/24 at 2:41pm

BeingAlive44Ever said: "broadwayfan_7214 said: "

Also I don't know why but I have a suspicion thatKatie Rose Clarke is going to get a Featured Actress Nomination alongside Lindsay Mendez"

I was thinking Krystal Joy Brown...ugh Merrily has such a treasure trove of performances

rbfost
#822024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/24/24 at 7:24pm

Re: Category placement at the Tony Awards, that's determined by the Tony Awards Admin Committee, which meets a few times during the season to determine and confirm eligibility for productions. Yes, technically performers listed above the title are automatically considered in leading and performers listed below the title are in featured, HOWEVER! it is possible for producers of a show to petition the admin committee to change that category placement. If the category placement changes from the based-on-billing default, that is announced after the committee meets.

For example, in November, the admin committee met to determine eligibility for a number of summer and fall productions, including Here Lies Love, Back to the Future, and Merrily We Roll Along. Jonathan Groff, Lindsay Mendez, and Daniel Radcliffe are all billed above the title in Merrily We Roll Along, but the admin committee determined that Mendez and Radcliffe would be placed in featured acting categories and that was announced. Since there was no announcement of Groff's placement, he remains in leading ("eligibility will be consistent with the opening night credits").

The admin committee hasn't met again yet, so they've not determined eligibility for the shows which have opened since then, including Harmony and How to Dance in Ohio. I'd expect that meeting to happen sometime in March, though I can't remember if an exact date has been publicly announced.

Having seen Harmony twice, Chip Zien is clearly the leading performance, despite not being billed above the title, so I would expect Harmony's producers to successfully petition the admin committee to place him in Leading Actor. But! We shall see! Hope this helps!

I think I'll post my list of eligible musicals/revivals and confirmed/expected leading acting placements, for the board's perusal and predicting purposes!

rbfost
#832024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/25/24 at 3:02pm

Hey folks! I figured it could be helpful to have some confirmed/expected placement lists (for musicals) in one place on this thread!

ELIGIBLE FOR BEST MUSICAL (open by 04/25/24)

5 NOMINEES (possibly 6 or 7, if tied)

• Back to the Future
  • Days of Wine and Roses
  • Harmony
  • Hell's Kitchen
  • Here Lies Love
  • How to Dance in Ohio
  • Lempicka
  • Once Upon a One More Time
  • Suffs
  • The Great Gatsby
  • The Heart of Rock and Roll
  • The Notebook
  • The Outsiders
  • Water for Elephants

ELIGIBLE FOR BEST REVIVAL (MUSICAL) (open by 04/25/24) 

4 NOMINEES (possibly 5 or 6, if tied)

• Cabaret
  • Gutenberg!
  • Merrily We Roll Along
  • Monty Python's Spamalot
  • The Who's Tommy
  • The Wiz

ELIGIBLE FOR LEADING ACTOR (MUSICAL) -- 5 NOMINEES (possibly 6 or 7, if tied)

Confirmed (as of 11/30/23)

• Josh Gad, Gutenberg!
  • Jonathan Groff, Merrily We Roll Along
  • Justin Guarini, Once Upon a One More Time
  • Casey Likes, Back to the Future
  • Andrew Rannells, Gutenberg!

Expected, pending Tonys Admin Comm. Confirmation

• Corey Cott, The Heart of Rock and Roll
  • Brian D'Arcy James, Days of Wine and Roses
  • Grant Gustin, Water for Elephants
  • James Monroe Iglehart, Monty Python's Spamalot
  • Jeremy Jordan, The Great Gatsby
  • Eddie Redmayne, Cabaret

Questions

• Ali Louis Bourzgui, The Who's Tommy -- This seems like a leading role to me, but Michael Cerveris was nominated in Featured Actor for playing the same role in 1993. Bourzgui is likely to be billed below the title, so it's up to producers where they think he'd have the best chance at a nomination and/or win.
  • The Notebook -- I don't know the show well enough to say if maybe Ryan Vasquez, Dorian Harewood, or John Cardoza are petitioned for Lead or if they all stay in Featured, as they're likely to be billed below the title.
  • The Outsiders -- I don't know the show well enough to predict, but I'm familiar with the novel and film...seems like there's a case for keeping all the boys in Featured or moving Brody Grant to Lead. Could go either way.
  • How to Dance in Ohio -- I'd say this is a true ensemble piece, but I could see a case for petitioning Caesar Samayoa and/or Liam Pearce to Lead in an unlikely bet to get a nomination in this category.

ELIGIBLE FOR LEADING ACTRESS (MUSICAL) -- 5 NOMINEES (possibly 6 or 7, if tied)

Confirmed (as of 11/30/23)

• Briga Heelan, Once Upon a One More Time
  • Arielle Jacobs, Here Lies Love

Expected, pending Tonys Admin Comm. Confirmation

• Eden Espinosa, Lempicka
  • McKenzie Kurtz, The Heart of Rock and Roll
  • Nichelle Lewis, The Wiz
  • Isabelle McCalla, Water for Elephants
  • Maleah Joi Moon, Hell's Kitchen
  • Eva Noblezada, The Great Gatsby
  • Kelli O'Hara, Days of Wine and Roses
  • Gayle Rankin, Cabaret

Questions

• The Notebook -- Again, hard to say if Joy Woods, Maryann Plunkett, or Jordan Tyson move to Lead...from what I've heard about the show, the strongest case for Lead  Actress here is Joy Woods.
  • Suffs -- I don't know the show super well, but from what I gather, it is mostly an ensemble piece. I did notice that Alice Paul (Shaina Taub's role) has a standby, so perhaps that could be significant. Folks who were familiar with it off-Broadway could shed some light on this.

Hope it's helpful to see it in this way! Also, the competition will be FIERCE for these...good luck to us all...

KevinKlawitter
#842024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/25/24 at 3:07pm

• How to Dance in Ohio -- I'd say this is a true ensemble piece, but I could see a case for petitioning Caesar Samayoa and/or Liam Pearce to Lead in an unlikely bet to get a nomination in this category

Agreed. It's an ensemble show, but while that generally would mean all of the performers would be seen as Featured, I could see both Samayoa or Pearce being submitted as lead for the sake of a nomination.  Regardless of category, Pearce seeks like the best bet for a nomination.

chrishuyen
#852024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/25/24 at 3:08pm

Thanks for putting this together! Shaina Taub would definitely be petitioned for lead in Suffs.

Sammy232
#862024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/26/24 at 8:20am

broadwayfan_7214 said: "Broadway Flash said: "Water for elephants could be a sleeper hit. We’ll see what happens with Great Gatsby. I think those two could be sleeper hits."

I think Water for Elephants and Gatsby will succeed in the design categories (especially gatsby) because i think thats the best thing about those shows. (I haven't seen water for elephants this is just what i've heard from other people)
"

Hard to imagine Here Lies Love not getting some attention in the design categories.

JSquared2
#872024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/26/24 at 12:56pm

chrishuyen said: "Thanks for putting this together! Shaina Taub would definitely be petitioned for lead in Suffs."

I think there is zero chance of that happening.  SUFFS is truly am ensemble show -- all will be in featured actress.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#882024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/26/24 at 1:04pm

Based on the show I saw at the Public, there was no question in my mind that SUFFS had one lead (Taub) and everyone else was a supporting player.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#892024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/29/24 at 11:46am

According to BWW, the Tony committee met last week and deemed Appropriate as a revival. But where is the official statement about it?

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/APPROPRIATE-is-a-Revival-Tonys-Seek-New-Spokesperson-and-Shabbat-Comes-to-Broadway-20240129

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#902024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/29/24 at 12:09pm

Makes sense to me to consider Appropriate a Revival.

Broadway61004
#912024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/29/24 at 2:06pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Makes sense to me to consider Appropriate a Revival."

Agreed. I think a lot of folks get too caught up in "how long since the original run" and "how often has this been performed regionally" instead of "is this a new production or the same?" As the article mentioned, Between Riverside and Crazy was in essence the exact same production that ran off Broadway, so it makes sense to call it a new play. Meanwhile, Appropriate and Gutenberg are brand new productions, so it makes sense to call them revivals.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#922024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/29/24 at 3:06pm

Agreed. Here Lies Love was also essentially the same production, just physically expanded.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#932024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/29/24 at 9:45pm

I agree that Appropriate should be considered a revival. IMO, if it's has been more than say, five years since the Off-Broadway production of a show, and especially if it's a different director and cast, then it's a revival. That said, Between Riverside and Crazy should have also been considered a revival, and the categorization of Here Lies Love as a new musical is both incorrect and inconsistent with the Appropriate ruling. The Tony committee needs to come up with more specific rules about this.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#942024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/29/24 at 10:04pm

Broadway61004 said: "Appropriate and Gutenberg are brand new productions, so it makes sense to call them revivals."

I guess I'm playing Devil's Advocate after you just agreed with me, but...what constitutes "new" production? Stuff like BLACKBIRD and GUTENBERG and HERE LIES LOVE had a gap between off-Bway and Bway, but they had the same director (and in two cases some casting overlap). THE THANKSGIVING PLAY came to Broadway with a new director/cast/physical production but was considered a new play.

My understanding is that what the committee really looks at is what the licensing activity has been. Gut was licensed; HLL was not. And at the end of the day the choice to license comes down to the author & their agent and whoever holds the commercial rights. PRAYER FOR THE FRENCH REPUBLIC, for example, has had a couple of licensed productions, but the gap was short between Off-B and Bway; there's no doubt it will be (& should be) considered a new play.

Updated On: 1/29/24 at 10:04 PM

Eddie Hirsch
#952024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/29/24 at 11:16pm

The inconsistency of the awards is striking.  For examplel, in 1986 The House of Blue Leaves and The Blood Knot were both nominated for Best New Play, when they both had been seen in prominent runs off-Broadway in 1971 and 1964.    There was controversy about the consideration of "Leaves" and "Blood Knot" in that category...both wonderful plays.  The other two nominees that year were "Benefactors" and "I'm Not Rappaport" and the latter was awarded the Tony.

I now think the nominees for Outstanding Revival of a Play will be:

Appropriate

Doubt

An Enemy of the People

Uncle Vanya.

and there is little Doubt that Appropriate will be the recipient.

JoeW4 Profile Photo
JoeW4
#962024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/29/24 at 11:44pm

Eddie, that inconsistency can easily be accounted for, with the fact that the Tony rules have since been changed. That was before the "Classics Rule."

I don't agree that licensing is the main thing they look at: there have been far too many cases of shows being licensed and still being considered a new play. I've been keeping track of this pretty carefully for years, and from my anecdotal observation, the way they make the determination is:

1. If the original production is recent enough (like within the last 8 years or so, based on established precedent) they'll pretty much automatically consider it new - even if it's a new production.

2. IF it's older than that, they'll look at whether or not the Broadway production has demonstrable ties to the original, to make a case that "it just took a long time to get to Broadway" -- as opposed to a producer independently deciding to dust the piece off the shelf and bring it back (a.k.a REVIVING it). When trying to make that determination, factors like licensing, and resemblance to the original staging/direction can help build a case, but considering there have been exceptions on all sides, it doesn't seem like those are the deciding factors.

In my estimation, Appropriate is a revival by any metric, and they're right to consider one. I've been saying this for months, and I feel like I've been going a little nuts trying to beat this drum while most people have been predicting it as a Best Play contender so I'm happy to hear this lol!!

Wayman_Wong
#972024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/30/24 at 7:31pm

Boy, I hope the Tony nominators don't suffer from short-term memory. ''Here Lies Love'' closed way too soon. This season is so competitive and crowded, but I wish it's remembered for Best Musical, Direction, Score, Arielle Jacobs, Jose Llana, Conrad Ricamora and all its design elements: scenery, costumes, lighting, sound. I know it's hoping for too much, but that's where my ''Love'' lies. 

RW3
#982024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/30/24 at 8:14pm

This is my current prediction for the Best Featured Actress in a Musical category:

Amber Iman, Lempicka
Bebe Neuwirth, Cabaret 
Joy Woods, The Notebook

Lindsay Mendez, Merrily We Roll Along

Shoshana Bean/Kecia Lewis, Hell’s Kitchen

CityLights3
#992024 Tony Awards
Posted: 1/31/24 at 12:41am

Hmmm.  Wonder what this means for MARY JANE as well.  Produced first at YALE REP in Spring 2017, at NYTW in Fall 2017, both with different casts, both directed by its Broadway director Anne Kauffman with MANHATTAN THEATRE CLUB producing this time around.  While we know the lead will be  different from either of those productions, we don’t have a full cast announcement yet to my knowledge.  It was nominated for 7 Lortell Awards, and won 1 Drama Desk, 1 Obie, and the Drama Critics Circle Award for Best Play that season.  I can only assume it’s been licensed elsewhere in those 7 yrs.  I could see this one going either way. 

Videos