pixeltracker

HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season- Page 3

HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#50HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 4:36pm

Although Huey Lewis has a number of very well-known hits, I really, really have doubts about whether the idea of a musical using his music as its sole selling point will actually be a draw. He, as an artist, hasn't really stayed in pop cultural relevance the way some of his contemporaries have.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

LALALand Profile Photo
LALALand
#51HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 4:54pm

They did a Blondie musical in the UK, it was an adaptation of the film Desperately Seeking Susan.

perfectliar
#52HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 6:26pm

Sammy232 said: "perfectliar said: "Sammy232 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I have to think this’ll be critic-proof - likeA Beautiful Noise- and have a solid run."

I don't know. Beautiful noise is solidly boomer crowd age group who are known to be a solid ticket buying crowd. While Huey Lewis was popular he only really had a couple of big hits. Yes, I'm a Gen Xer, so this was my teenage music.
"

Huey Lewis and the News had twelve Top 10 hits (and another that topped out at #11), including three #1s. Even if you just use the songs that charted that high, you have enough for a full score with reprises and such.
"

I'm not saying he doesn't have enough songs to fill a score (although truth be told I'm having a hard time naming that many hits, but I believe you). My point was, I don't see this age demo being a big ticket buying group - I'm definitely an outlier amongst my peer group but I was always a "theater kid." In that same time frame there were significantly bigger artists on the scene - some of which we've had broadway shows from current/recent - MJ, Springsteen, David Bryne, and some we haven't, Prince, Bon Jovi, Madonna, all artists that had decades of staying power.
"

You said he only had a couple of big hits. He had a dozen. That's the only point I'm making, which has nothing to do with what demographic buys tickets or not. I also don't see this being a hit, especially in a season like this, but this is likely just a step in licensing the show to regional and community theatres, where the number of hit songs included really will be what sells it.

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#53HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 7:04pm

While Huey Lewis was popular he only really had a couple of big hits.

Nope. Do some actual research before posting things ;)

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#54HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/1/23 at 7:12pm

While true Huey Lewis had multiple hits I think it is safe to say that most people would be hard pressed to name more than 2.

Also, with a property like this you have to look at the director. No disrespect to Gordon Greenberg but I wouldn't classify him as any producers first pick director for a new Broadway musical. Kinda like why Warren Carlyle gets the shows he gets. 

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#55HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/11/23 at 5:25pm

I'm a boomer (barely) and I had no interest in Noise and no interest in this - and I LIKED HL back in the day.  The summary on this sounds like a variation on Rock of Ages...which I LOATHED.

(Lol, I typed this several days/a week ago and forgot to hit post.)

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#56HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 11/11/23 at 7:53pm

Their early work was a little too new wave for my taste. But when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor.

In '87, Huey released this; Fore!, their most accomplished album. I think their undisputed masterpiece is "Hip To Be Square". A song so catchy, most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity and the importance of trends. It's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#57HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/1/24 at 5:47pm

Why do I feel like this will have the same fate as the “Room” play adaptation last season and the “Nerds” musical from 2016?

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Voter
#58HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/1/24 at 5:59pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Why do I feel like this will have the same fate as the “Room” play adaptation last season and the “Nerds” musical from 2016?"

Ticket sales have been lacking online. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#59HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/1/24 at 6:09pm

Is this the world premier?  Nobody’s seen it yet, of course it doesn’t have good sales. Hopefully it is good and gets good reviews, and then everybody will want to see it. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#60HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/1/24 at 6:10pm

Broadway Flash said: "Is this the world premier? Nobody’s seen it yet, of course it doesn’t have good sales. Hopefully it is good and gets good reviews, and then everybody will want to see it."

This is not a world premiere production; it played the Old Globe back in 2018. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#61HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/1/24 at 7:07pm

I just saw clips from the old Globe production. It looks great!  Does anyone know if Matt Doyle will be in it on broadway?

Call_me_jorge
#62HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/1/24 at 8:35pm

Broadway Flash said: "I just saw clips from the old Globe production. It looks great! Does anyone know if Matt Doyle will be in it on broadway?"

He’s currently involved with the Frank Sinatra musical, but I’m unsure what that show is doing next since the Birmingham tryout closed. I believe the most recent workshop had Jonah Platt in the Matt Doyle. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#63HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/1/24 at 10:18pm

I’m more curious if Katie Rose Clarke will leave MERRILY for this. Wasn’t she in the last major production?

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

BoringBoredBoard40
#64HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/1/24 at 10:54pm

truly weird that there is yet to be a cast announcement for this show

Springtime
#65HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 12:06am

In one of her podcasts about Merrily Katie Rose Clarke talked very positively about this musical and how much she loved being part of its development. She indicated she still wanted to be involved in HoR&R, but didn't openly say she would leave Merrily. 

Updated On: 1/2/24 at 12:06 AM

GottaGetAGimmick420
#66HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 9:23am

Out of everything next season, this is the show that feels like it’s suicide opening this season. A lot of shows don’t have their full funding raised, and I wouldn’t be surprised if this is one of them. The Old Globe has been hurting for a hit.

I'm just here so I don't get fined

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#67HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 6:10pm

This one confuses me for sure! The script reads like Getting the Band Back Together meets Wedding Singer meets Margaritaville. Ooooof. "Hip to Be Square" is shoe-horned in because they work in a box factory. Enough said...

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#68HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 6:37pm

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "truly weird that there is yet to be a cast announcement for this show"

It’s not super weird- performances aren’t starting till the end of March.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Call_me_jorge
#69HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 7:10pm

The SEC filing says they need to raise 19 million dollars for this. Who is investing in this and is it merely being used as a tax write off?

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#70HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 10:54pm

Sounds like an awful show. I’ve bought a balcony seat for Monday, April 22.

George in DC Profile Photo
George in DC
#71HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/2/24 at 11:16pm

Sutton Ross said: "I'm still confident thatA Beautiful Noisewill close up shop after the holidays with this new schedule giving them a nice boost to get them there. CouldHeartthen take the Broadhurst for the spring?

That sounds about right. Boomers lose their MIND with both Neil Diamond and Huey Lewis, and since they have the money I think this will be popular with the (white) olds.

I'm a boomer, ...well sort of, born 1961 ... and I would not go to this even if given a ticket.  (I can't say I don't like jukebox musicals anymore because I LOVED "Swept Away" and hope it comes to B'way soon)
"

Updated On: 1/2/24 at 11:16 PM

noahseestheatre Profile Photo
noahseestheatre
#72HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/4/24 at 11:35am

I do know a certain former SIX star (+Hamilton) will be starring in this, though!

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#73HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/16/24 at 8:18am

The cast will be led by Corey Cott and McKenzie Kurtz in the lead roles.

“The casting process has so far been the most thrilling part of creating this show," said Lewis. "It’s all just words and notes on a page until an actor gives it life. I am so grateful that this incredible company, made up of some of the world’s most talented stage performers, will be telling our story and singing our songs.” 

He continued, “We have Corey Cott (Newsies) and McKenzie Kurtz (Wicked) starring as Bobby and Cassandra, the will-they/won’t-they couple at the center of our story. I know tons of Broadway fans already know just how dynamic and gifted they are, but their chemistry together is nothing short of electric. 

The principal cast also includes Josh Breckenridge (Come From Away), F. Michael Haynie (Wicked), Zoe Jensen (Six), Tamika Lawrence (Caroline or Change), Raymond J. Lee (Sweeney Todd), John-Michael Lyles (A Strange Loop), Orville Mendoza (Swept Away), Billy Harrigan Tighe (Pippin) and John Dossett (Wicked).

Mike Baerga (Bad Cinderella), Tommy Bracco (Newsies), TyNia René Brandon (Some Like It Hot), Olivia Cece (Moulin Rouge! The Musical), Taylor Marie Daniel (Pal Joey), Lindsay Joan (Kinky Boots), Ross Lekites (Parade), Robin Masella (Shucked), Kara Menendez (Women on Fire), Michael Olaribigbe (Elvis at North Shore Music Theatre), Kevin Pariseau (Little Shop of Horrors), and Robert Pendilla (A Beautiful Noise) round out our ensemble, with Joe Moeller (& Juliet), Jennifer Noble (Ghost The Musical), Fredric Rodriguez Odgaard (Moulin Rouge! The Musical), and Leah Read (Rock of Ages) as the hardest working people in show business: the swings.”

Updated On: 1/16/24 at 08:18 AM

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#74HEART OF ROCK & ROLL to open on Broadway this season?
Posted: 1/16/24 at 8:54am

I'm sorry, but... YAWN.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Videos