News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024- Page 3

Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#50Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 1/19/24 at 3:04pm

PurpleMonkey said: "Does anyone know how to avoid the smiley anomaly in my response? I know it happens on here from time to time with closing parentheses."

This maddening technical glitch has been around for as long as I can remember and all requests to have it fixed have fallen on deaf ears.

The only workaround I've found is to insert a space between the parenthesis and the immediately-adjacent character. 

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

BorisTomashevsky
#51Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 1/19/24 at 6:21pm

Just looked at 12 dates from the end of Feb to the end of March. Most are poorly sold, and some are practically lifeless.

The party at the Ambassador’s house will probably include a plea for guests to promote the show to their personal email lists. 

Theatrefan2
#52Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 5:04pm

Someone on theatreboard says this has allegedly been axed before the start of its run

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#53Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 5:19pm

I got a text earlier today saying the same thing but have no other confirmation. I hope it’s not true - I missed this in London and really did want to see it. 

Updated On: 2/7/24 at 05:19 PM

BoringBoredBoard40
#54Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 5:47pm

Yeah this was a New World Stages show for sure and the advance is almost non-existant 

ardiem
#55Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 6:17pm

I created a GIF of an early week to get a sense of which seats are sold and which have been blocked off to add to the illusion of being sold, and it's rough:

https://imgur.com/a/m0iBOfV

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#56Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 6:34pm

Most of this spring’s new musicals are in the same boat, but they can’t quite call it quits yet with obscene budgets on the line.

Oh look, a bibu!

Jordan Catalano
#57Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 6:37pm

An influx of this many shows in this short time period is insane and just spells failure for so many of them. 

theatergoer3
#58Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 9:09pm

Reddit so grain of salt - https://www.reddit.com/r/Broadway/comments/1alja46/can_anyone_confirm_my_sons_a_queer_is_not_coming/

midnight_nyc

Yes I can confirm from both Production and House Management sources that the load in will not happen as originally planned. There seems to be talk of pushing the show to the fall but that seems unlikely

criimebrulee

Yup, cancelled and postponed till fall. I was scheduled to work on it.

Heavilybrokn

My husband saw on TikTok this morning (I didn’t see it myself) that the show was meant to load in today and they were stopped and that the show is canceled. I’ve been looking everywhere and haven’t seen anything official, but while in midtown my husband did go to the box office and no one was there when it was meant to be open until 8 PM.

I hope nothing happened to cancel its run!! We won lottery and have been really excited about it!!

I hope there was just a hiccup with doing the load in today and that it will go on without an issue! Maybe something happened at the theatre itself to prevent people from being there today or something that would explain it.

Has anyone been by the Lyceum to confirm ? 

Updated On: 2/7/24 at 09:09 PM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#59Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 9:59pm

Someone just posted on the reddit thread that they got an email saying it was cancelled with a refund for their tickets!

Jordan Catalano
#60Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 10:01pm

Tix are still on sale at telecharge. 

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#61Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 10:12pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Tix are still on sale at telecharge."

We could ask all the other people who have tickets if they got the email except there are no others...

Jordan Catalano
#62Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 10:17pm

Maybe this is all just a marketing scheme to get people talking about the show. 

Jarethan
#63Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 10:19pm

Weeks ago, someone mentioned that a bunch of the Spring shows had not fully secured their investments.  Is it possible that we are seeing a case of this right now, whether it is ever acknowledged or not?  If so, I wonder if we will see any more. 

I also wonder whether this should have targeted off-Broadway in the first place.

Updated On: 2/7/24 at 10:19 PM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#64Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 10:21pm

Unfortunate if true but also... what were these producers thinking trying to mount this on Broadway?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#65Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 10:49pm

They should do what "Ain't No Mo" did and host one of those 1 day-only $20 rushes, I know they already did the lottery but if Madge really wants their broadway debut... 

Also, maybe they (Madge) should've considered mounting this as a week-long thing at another theater. Madge isn't a name in the United States, I've only ever heard of their work in the context of this dead on arrival (allegedly) show.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#66Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 11:06pm

These are the same producers of the drag race play that fell apart at New World last summer.

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#67Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/7/24 at 11:11pm

dearalanaaaa said: "They should do what "Ain't No Mo" did and host one of those 1 day-only $20 rushes, I know they already did the lottery but if Madge really wants their broadway debut...
Also, maybe they (Madge) should've considered mounting this as a week-long thing at another theater. Madge isn't a name in the United States, I've only ever heard of their work in the context of this dead on arrival (allegedly) show.
"

It doesn't matter what Madge wants, they aren't self-producing and self-financing. Selling tickets to a Broadway show at $20 is like trying to put out a forest fire one dixie cup of water at a time.

BoringBoredBoard40
#68Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:19am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "These are the same producers of the drag race play that fell apart at New World last summer."

yikes. 

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#69Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 9:08am

I wonder if the producers could work out a deal with a not for profit company like The Roundabout for this to fill a slot at a future date. It likely is inexpensive to produce, but would benefit from a subscription audience base.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#70Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 9:14am

QueenAlice said: "I wonder if the producers could work out a deal with a not for profit company like The Roundabout for this to fill a slot at a future date. It likely is inexpensive to produce, but would benefit from a subscription audience base."

I thought the exact same thing. This is a prestige show that requires a small theatre and a subscription house.

The Lyceum is a really undesirable theatre in dire need of some upgrades anyway.

For what it’s worth, I spoke to someone who works at the theatre and they aren’t aware of any cancellation beyond the rumors they’ve seen online.

I will say that, for a show that looks this relatively cheap to run, the ticket prices are OBSCENE. Like, at most, it should be nowhere near the $200+ range

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#71Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 9:42am

Broadway ticket prices tend to coalesce to be compatible with what other shows are asking. There is never going to be a Broadway show with a $60 top ticket price. And there is always a portion of the ticket buying audinece who have the means and don't mind paying $200 a ticket. But I'm sure the producers were also planning to offer heavy discounting, TKTS, etc. I'm sure they knew they would have to do some work to sell this show to an audience unfamiliar with the lead actor.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#72Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 10:15am

QueenAlice said: "I wonder if the producers could work out a deal with a not for profit company like The Roundabout for this to fill a slot at a future date. It likely is inexpensive to produce, but would benefit from a subscription audience base."

A commercial play like this really belongs at the Greenwich House or the Lucille Lortel. We might be having the same conversation if Cole Escola's show was opening on Broadway (the main difference being Cole's show is produced by Kevin McCollum, who doesn't have trouble raising money).

Handing it off to a nonprofit producer is easier said than done. Investors invested with the expectation that this was a commercial production. Enhancing or co-presenting with a nonprofit completely changes revenue streams and basically relies on the nonprofit production being a hit, with commercial producers having the right to extend/transfer/tour it.

The other problem is a lot of money has already been spent.

Updated On: 2/8/24 at 10:15 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#73Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 10:34am

And of course, while Escola is not remotely a household name, they have enough of a following in New York amongst people who are likely already primed theater goers or alt-comedy fans to fill a 299-seat theatre for two months. A totally sold out 8-show week of performances would have fewer people than 3 totally sold out performances at the Lyceum. 

Meanwhile, nobody here knows who Rob Madge is and an event at the British consulate or a partnership with Reductress won’t change the dial on that at all. And for a one-person show in a Broadway house, that is a huge, glaringly obvious problem that even the most neophyte of investors will need addressed before they want to hand over a cent. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 2/8/24 at 10:34 AM

StageJunkie2
#74Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 11:56am

Contrary to your assertion, I’ve got a ticket and haven’t heard anything from Telecharge. At least not yet…

Videos