News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024- Page 4

Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... at the Lyceum February 2024

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#75Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 12:13pm

Would be really nice for the production to say something about this, one way or another. 

ElephantLoveMedley
#76Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 12:16pm

Someone just commented on this Instagram post that they were refunded for their lottery win today.

GoldenGiggery
#77Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 12:21pm

I was just refunded by Telecharge an hour ago, for the opening preview performance (2/27). Sad to say this show, as we currently know it, is cancelled. 

pablitonizer
#78Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 12:31pm

Here's the refund

Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#79Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:01pm

Well that's sad, but I think it was just an unrealistic vanity project. It should have started off Broadway or gone to St. Ann's or something. But these producers now have 2 cancelled shows under their belt. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#80Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:10pm

The Broadway run has been postponed to next season, not cancelled entirely as was rumored. New dates and a theater to be announced later.

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/MY-SONS-A-QUEER-BUT-WHAT-CAN-YOU-DO-Postpones-Broadway-Run-20240208

Oh look, a bibu!

JSquared2
#81Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:13pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "The Broadway run has beenpostponed to next season, not cancelled entirely as wasrumored. New dates and a theater to be announced later.

Sure it is.  It'll open the same week that REBECCA and NERDS open.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#82Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:15pm

Postponement is, naturally, a party line, though let's see what happens (since there will be angry investors and ruined relationships if the show is cancelled and doesn't move forward as planned but the money isn't returned).

Hopefully there'll be some investigative journalism to let us know what happened.

This is also a co-lead producer of Bandstand, The Visit, and the Campbell Scott Christmas Carol, so we're not looking at a great track record.

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#83Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:15pm

If you think it's actually coming back next season, I've got waterfront property in Arizona that you would just adore.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

pablitonizer
#84Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:18pm

JSquared2 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "The Broadway run has beenpostponed to next season, not cancelled entirely as wasrumored. New dates and a theater to be announced later.

Sure it is. It'll open the same week thatREBECCAandNERDS open.

"

'Postponed'

Sure, Jan!

It's a bit unprofessional to announce it 10 days before previews start but it's just my opinion

JSquared2
#85Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:24pm

pablitonizer said: "JSquared2 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "The Broadway run has beenpostponed to next season, not cancelled entirely as wasrumored. New dates and a theater to be announced later.

Sure it is. It'll open the same week thatREBECCAandNERDS open.

"

'Postponed'

Sure, Jan!

It's a bit unprofessional to announce it 10 days before previews start but it's just my opinion

They would have had to post cash bonds with AEA and the other unions by this week -- as well as give a cash deposit (at least $500,000) to the Shuberts in order to take possession of the building this week and start load-in -- so they obviously waited as log as they could, hoping for some "miracle investor" to step up. Bob Wankel is no doubt incredibly pissed off at them (and they've burned a major bridge).  

RUkiddingme
#86Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:24pm

Damn!  I was looking forward to everyone commenting of their grosses!

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#87Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:27pm

"Postponed" is what it said in the press release, probably to try and soften the blow. It likely won't end up opening anywhere, but stranger things have happened. A lot of us didn't think Purlie Victorious would make it to January. 

Oh look, a bibu!

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#88Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:27pm

Most of the failed (or in this case, cancelled) Broadway shows post-pandemic have just been bad business ideas. Representation and diversity in the theatre is great, but things like My Son’s a Queer or How to Dance in Ohio are — unless done exceptionally well — going to appeal only to a small, niche audience. Especially given modern Broadway economics, that is just not going to be enough to make anything even close to a return on the investment by the producers. 

MemorableUserName
#89Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:28pm

I appreciated how honest BWW's writeup was (Deadline's article simply parrots the producers saying they're aiming for next season):

"The show will face an uphill battle to capitalize a second attempt at a Broadway run next year following widely acknowledged poor ticket sales by Broadway standards, and investors shaken by a run that never made it to first preview.

This is also the second project by producers Tom Smedes, Heather Shields, and Peter Stern to be postponed before opening in New York. The producing team also postponed their run of the Drag-Comedy musical Death Drop which had been slated to run at New World Stages last year. No further production details have been announced since the postponement."

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#90Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:28pm

Wonder if anything tries to swoop in and grab the Lyceum 

JSquared2
#91Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:34pm

EDSOSLO858 said: ""Postponed" is what it said in the press release, probably to try and soften the blow. It likely won't end up opening anywhere,but stranger things have happened. A lot of us didn't thinkPurlie Victoriouswould make it to January."

Surely you can't be suggesting those 2 situations are similar in any way, shape or form?  Shows run longer than generally expected all the time.  It's rare that shows that are announced and on sale cancel their runs a few days before they are scheduled to begin load-in.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#92Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:39pm

I have no doubt there will be an attempt of some spin on this to blame the current economic environment but I highly doubt this show would’ve been a wise decision even ten or twenty years ago. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

SomeOtherMe Profile Photo
SomeOtherMe
#93Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:39pm

Just for my own curiosity...

If the team (theoretically) said "okay, Broadway was clearly too ambitious, let's do something more realistic..." and tried to book an Off-Broadway/much smaller house, is that something that would now be made more difficult due to this cancelation [announcement] and it being seeing as a kind of "tainted" production, or does that not really matter either way?

verywellthensigh
#94Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:41pm

Obviously, I feel bad for the people who believed in this show but it's presence on Broadway was a real head-scratcher. 

Maybe a mini-tour or a run in DC or something.

Sammy232
#95Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:48pm

SomeOtherMe said: "Just for my own curiosity...

If the team (theoretically)said "okay, Broadway was clearly too ambitious, let's do something more realistic..." and tried to book an Off-Broadway/much smaller house, is that something that would now be made more difficult due to this cancelation [announcement] and it being seeing as a kind of "tainted" production, or does that not really matter either way?
"

My guess is it would be near impossible to raise money for this again?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#96Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:51pm

If they’re truly going to try to remount it next year (and who knows if that’s true) they’d be smart to aim for Pride so they can get the shows name all over the place.

BorisTomashevsky
#97Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:52pm

If the team (theoretically)said "okay, Broadway was clearly too ambitious, let's do something more realistic..." and tried to book an Off-Broadway/much smaller house, is that something that would now be made more difficult due to this cancelation [announcement] and it being seeing as a kind of "tainted" production, or does that not really matter either way?
"

If the GIF that ardiem posted on page 3, showing the very-few sold seats vs many production hold seats is anything to go by, I can’t imagine any off-Broadway theatre wanting to touch this show. 
And no Broadway theatre owner will ever touch it again either. 

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#98Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:53pm

I’m hoping motive and the cue comes in this season. Or perhaps a renovation, that theatre is so uncomfortable and dull looking. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#99Rob Madge's MY SON'S A QUEER... not at the Lyceum February 2024
Posted: 2/8/24 at 1:56pm

"

There will certainly be a whiff of failure surrounding it. It's hard to come back from something like this.

I can't speak to the specific steps that would have to occur for an existing entity to switch from a Broadway show to an Off-Broadway or touring production. It would be quite challenging: People invested in this as a Broadway show, playing in a theatre with a certain number of seats for a certain number of weeks with $X running costs, and they believed in this show's potential (whether that belief was misguided or not is kind of irrelevant). If the same commercial entity mounted it Off-Broadway or on the road, the capitalization, running costs, gross potential, recoupment sched, etc. would be wholly different.

There will be cranky people either way, especially with this being a "fool me twice" situation.

Updated On: 2/8/24 at 01:56 PM

Videos