pixeltracker

SUNSET BLVD. to transfer to Broadway- Page 2

SUNSET BLVD. to transfer to Broadway

OhHiii
#25SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:18am

Worth reminding the folks who don't like this production that you don't have to see it!! :)

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#26SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:28am

Eddie3 said: "I'm afraid I was not that thrilled with the production of Sunset, which I saw in London. I know that it has its fans, but I only enjoyed it moderately. I was particularly unimpressed by the choreography. I love Jamie Lloyd's work, having seen and admired many of his productions, but I thought the Sunset just wasn't good enough. Regarding Nicole, I guess she was ok, but I kept thinking I was watching Maila Nurmi (aka Vampira) as Norma.

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa

It will be interesting to see how it's received here.

SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa

"

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#27SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:30am

OhHiii said: "Worth reminding the folks who don't like this production that you don't have to see it!! :)"

It sounds like they did see it and didn’t like it, so… I’m not sure what you’re at. People are allowed to have opinions that differ from the general consensus.

Eddie3
#28SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:31am

Also worth reminding everyone that it's no doubt going to be a very expensive ticket, and so particularly important to convey that there are a lot of non-gushing opinions, from those of us who have seen it already.

Updated On: 1/4/24 at 10:31 AM

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#29SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:37am

OhHiii said: "Spamalot must already have plans to close by Labor Day which isn't surprising."

The tour is launching in the Fall of 2024. SPAMALOT probably closes around the Tony's.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#30SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:44am

Is Hadestown a limited run in London if Grace is coming over?

Also, super excited to hear that Audra is attached to a Gypsy revival next season in that Johnny O article!

Oh look, a bibu!

Fosse76
#31SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:45am

Eddie3 said: "Also worth reminding everyone that it's no doubt going to be a very expensive ticket, and so particularly important to convey that there are a lot of non-gushing opinions, from those of us who have seen it already.

I don't see the public rushing out to see this, only the theater queens on this board. This will certainly have discounts.

"

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#32SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:53am

Leading Actress in a Musical will feed families at next year’s Tonys. Norma Desmond vs. Mama Rose vs. Diana Goodman, Nicole vs. Audra vs. Caissie.

Oh look, a bibu!

OhHiii
#33SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:54am

Audra in Gypsy? Is that even a credible rumor at this point? 

BorisTomashevsky
#34SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 10:56am

I’m being general here, but I get the impression that London audiences are much more excited-about-beforehand and enthusiastic-after-seeing ‘bold reimaginings.’

Broadway audiences (local/tourist/whatever way you slice it) generally - I say generally - prefer known quantities that don’t stray far from what satisfied them before. I don’t think the frenzy this created in the more-accepting London will be replicated in NYC. 

Theatrefanboy1
#35SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 11:06am

Very credible rumor   I know it was a long term Rudin plan. But yes. Very much so credible.   It sounds like the the two night music and Mame have been the ones to unfortunately be postponed indefinitely 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#36SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 11:10am

Very happy to see confirmation of the transfer, with the caveat that I don't know whether I'll love it or hate it. But I will be coming up for this.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

theatreguy12
#37SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 11:37am

ColorTheHours048 said: "OhHiii said: "Worth reminding the folks who don't like this production that you don't have to see it!! :)"

It sounds like they did see it and didn’t like it, so… I’m not sure what you’re at. People are allowed to have opinions that differ from the general consensus.
"

I agree with this.  I didn't see BTTF here in NY because I had seen it in London and wasn't enthralled by it enough to see it again. Similarly there will be those who saw SB in London, were not captivated by it, and won't see it.  They're just expressing their opinion.  The fact they won't see it again goes without saying. 

I would maybe be interested in seeing this just to compare it to the original.  Although from what I've heard from a friend who saw it in London, it is a totally different take on it.  He personally liked it.  But he liked the original too.

The original was a straight  up musical rendering of the movie.  No real flash, but in my opinion very good, and quite lush. I liked the score a great deal.  While it had some very ALW sounds to it that sometimes reflected similarly back on the sounds of his previous works, I still felt it captured an old Hollywood vibe to it.  I saw it in LA with Glenn, Alan, Judy and George at the Shubert prior to its move to NY.  

This SB seems more edgy, dark, a bit abstract and avant garde.   Which a lot of people like nowadays in their theater.  I think we're seeing that Broadway audiences are looking for more of the "THAT was really COOL" effect over the more simple, "That was beautiful, great, or a lot of fun!" If that makes sense.

Simply a different presentation of the material that some will like, some will prefer over the original, some will prefer the original and others will not like it.  It will be comparing apples to oranges though. Both are fruits, but still different in flavor. 

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#38SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 11:50am

Couple other things from that Post article:

This Sunset has a $17 million capitalization in NY.

The publication isn’t confident about Cabaret’s Tony odds up against Merrily.

Oh look, a bibu!

broadwayboy222 Profile Photo
broadwayboy222
#39SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 12:16pm

I am so sorry and mean this with the utmost respect, those of suggesting Benanti as the alternate Norma…. have you heard this score before?! Norma is a belter! In no world is Benanti, as she will even tell you herself, a belter who is even close to meeting the demands of this score! Team Stephanie J. Block all the way!

Secondary side tangent, it makes me ever the least bit feral that Broadway seems to be throwing vocal ranges out the window when it comes to casting so many musical revivals nowadays… Sutton as Marion, Kelli O’Hara as Mother, Tveit as Sweeney, in addition to the Audra as Rose rumors and people clamoring for Benanti as Norma?? Is everyone okay?? Can we please stop with this??

binau Profile Photo
binau
#40SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 12:28pm

It seems to me a little odd to conclude that there is a trend or problem with vocal casting on Broadway based on pure fantasy or rumours (Benanti & Audra), a performance that has not even begun yet (Aaron Tveit in Sweeney) or a one night concert performance (Kelli as Mother). I would say the general trend is that we tend to cast vocally strong and suitable people as a rule with exception rather than as an exception to a rule. 

I would also suggest that people don't seem to have a problem with poor vocals in this role (see Glenn Close). Not me, that is partly why Nicole was so refreshing and thrilling. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 1/4/24 at 12:28 PM

Eddie3
#41SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 12:32pm

theatreguy12 said: "ColorTheHours048 said: "OhHiii said: "Worth reminding the folks who don't like this production that you don't have to see it!! :)"

"

I agree with this. I didn't see BTTF here in NY because I had seen it in London and wasn't enthralled by it enough to see it again. Similarly there will be those who saw SB in London, were not captivated by it, and won't see it. They're just expressing their opinion. The fact they won't see it again goes without saying.

I would maybe be interested in seeing this just to compare it to the original. Although from what I've heard from a friend who saw it in London, it is a totally different take on it. He personally liked it. But he liked the original too.

The original was a straight up musical rendering of the movie. No real flash, but in my opinion very good, and quite lush. I liked the score a great deal. While it had some very ALW sounds to it that sometimes reflected similarly back on the sounds of his previous works, I still felt it captured an old Hollywood vibe to it. I saw it in LA with Glenn, Alan, Judy and George at the Shubert prior to its move to NY.

This SB seems more edgy, dark, a bit abstract and avant garde. Which a lot of people like nowadays in their theater. I think we're seeing that Broadway audiences are looking for more of the "THAT was really COOL" effect over the more simple, "That was beautiful, great, or a lot of fun!" If that makes sense.

Simply a different presentation of the material that some will like, some will prefer over the original, some will prefer the original and others will not like it. It will be comparing apples to oranges though. Both are fruits, but still different in flavor.

"

Just to clarify my comments about Sunset, which I saw in London, relative to the comments of theatreguy's12's post, above: I usually love different, including radical, presentations of material, including of the classics, and I've always loved Jamie Lloyd's productions, which I've seen on eight occasions. I just don't think the current production of Sunset is very effective.

OhHiii
#42SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 12:48pm

broadwayboy222 said: "I am so sorry and mean this with the utmost respect, those of suggesting Benanti as the alternate Norma…. have you heard this score before?! Norma is a belter! In no world is Benanti, as she will even tell you herself, a belter who is even close to meeting the demands of this score! Team Stephanie J. Block all the way!

Secondary side tangent, it makes me ever the least bit feral that Broadway seems to be throwing vocal ranges out the window when it comes to casting so many musical revivals nowadays… Sutton as Marion, Kelli O’Hara as Mother, Tveit as Sweeney, in addition to the Audra as Rose rumors and people clamoring for Benanti as Norma?? Is everyone okay?? Can we please stop with this??
"

I agree with this to an extent. It's definitely not the general rule of thumb. But there have been some PRIME examples of just overlooking voice type altogether if a person is the physical type and has enough clout behind them. That didn't work out so well for Sutton's Marian. But we have other examples, Beanie being one of them. And I agree Laura would be wholly incorrect for this part vocally as I mentioned.

SisterGeorge
#43SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 1:32pm

Awesome! The most thrilling and daring musical revival I saw in 2023 (and that includes the Broadway "Merrily," which would be my runner-up). Very excited to get a chance to see it again.

Sister George

singer234
#44SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 1:55pm

She wouldn’t be an alternate, obviously, but I would love to see Idina Menzel play Norma in this production for a short stint. But I’m dreaming.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#45SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 2:01pm

broadwayboy222 said: "I am so sorry and mean this with the utmost respect, those of suggesting Benanti as the alternate Norma…. have you heard this score before?! Norma is a belter! In no world is Benanti, as she will even tell you herself, a belter who is even close to meeting the demands of this score! Team Stephanie J. Block all the way!"

I see what you're saying and I think you might be right about Benanti....But I also have to say having seen this with Nicole in London, Stephanie J. Block is wrong for this production as well. They have essentially turned Norma into a Kim Kardashian-type. She has a cool-factor and moderness that SJB just couldn't be further from. As I said in another thread, Sherie Rene Scott is far more in the realm, though I know that wouldn't ever happen. Maybe they will go with another former Elphaba like they did with Rachel Tucker?

OhHiii
#46SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 2:23pm

FANtomFollies said: "broadwayboy222 said: "I am so sorry and mean this with the utmost respect, those of suggesting Benanti as the alternate Norma…. have you heard this score before?! Norma is a belter! In no world is Benanti, as she will even tell you herself, a belter who is even close to meeting the demands of this score! Team Stephanie J. Block all the way!"

I see what you're saying and I think you might be right about Benanti....But I also have to say having seen this with Nicole in London, Stephanie J. Block is wrong for this production as well. They have essentially turned Norma into a Kim Kardashian-type. She has a cool-factor and moderness that SJB just couldn't be further from. As I said in another thread, Sherie Rene Scott is far more in the realm, though I know that wouldn't ever happen. Maybe they will go with another former Elphaba like they did with Rachel Tucker?
"

Rachel Tucker isn't playing it like Nicole is from the reports I've seen. On paper, I wouldn't have thought Rachel could play the same role as Nicole, but by all accounts she works too. SJB could surprise. And she'd surely sing it at the level Nicole is. Jessica Vosk could be an alternate choice.

spicemonkey
#47SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 7:51pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Grace is doing “Hadestown” in London starring next month, so that means this “Sunset” most probably won’t be until late summer/Fall.

And I reeeally want Laura Benanti as Tuesday Night Norma.
"

Then they have to cast a standby for the Tuesday nights LOL 

BoringBoredBoard40
#48SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 8:23pm

Shoutout to everyone who swore up and down this was coming in this season 

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#49SUNSET BLVD to transfer to Broadwa
Posted: 1/4/24 at 9:28pm

Yes, my suggestions will be Elphabas, but bring back Rachel, or even turn ton Jackie Burns or Kerry Ellis or Mandy Gonzalez. Don't know their ages right off the bat, but...

Latest Posts