pixeltracker

THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews- Page 3

THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews

TicketBoy
#50THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 10:47am

I saw this from the Mezz and it was definitely LOUD but I was still able to hear nearly every word. Wondering if the balance isn't right in the Orchestra? I could see being under the Mezz overhang as a potential problem. But up in the Mezz I actually thought it sounded pretty good.

Totally agree about audiences for this one -- many think they're going to a rock concert where they can scream along and show up late. I tried to zone them out as much as possible. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#51THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 10:54am

Anyone who regularly attends live musical performances should invest in a pair of high fidelity earplugs. I've worn these regularly for years, and they lower the volume/decibels without sacrificing clarity. In many cases, I think they make the audio clearer by taking the edge off high frequencies, making them less strident and easier to listen to. They also help with super loud clappers and shrieking/screaming audience members, which are the bane of my theatregoing existence.

https://www.earpeace.com/products/music-earplugs

Available on Amazon, as well.

Updated On: 3/10/24 at 10:54 AM

pmensky
#52THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 11:14am

GottaGetAGimmick420 said: "when did mediocrity become the standard?"

It’s their first weekend of previews. Any kind of technical issues are bound to be worked out during this time. Getting the sound balanced, especially in a show like Tommy, is expected to take some finessing. If you want a technically perfect performance, don’t buy a ticket to previews. The only thing mediocre here is your knowledge of the process.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#53THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 11:32am

Gareth Owen is the sound designer and he's maybe the best in the biz when it comes to rock/contemporary musicals (MJ, Juliet, Come From Away, upcoming Hell's Kitchen).

I'm sure there will be crystal-clear sound balance in a matter of days.

In terms of the volume, he may have Pete Townshend (who's been hanging around the Nederlander) in his ear saying CRANK IT UP!

Updated On: 3/10/24 at 11:32 AM

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#54THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 11:35am

“iT’s PrEvIeWs, YoU eXpEcT sOuNd IsSuEs!” except we didn’t pay for them at those prices."

It's nearly impossible to have a perfect sound design in the first few previews. Things change when all the seats are filled with bodies. 10th preview? Sure. But you "sent" your family to the first preview. 

Jesus saves. I spend.

East Village Profile Photo
East Village
#55THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 12:09pm

I’m not so sure this is traditional first preview sound problems. Broadway has had a hard time amplifying some rock shows especially when the band is involved. Granted this level of amplification is relatively new to Broadway houses however bands routinely go into smaller venues like Webster, Hammerstein & the Beacon and are not this painfully loud. Even if they are, the audience in the front of the house is usually high AF, head banging and full of adrenaline. They move around. That’s a different behavior than having high decibels blasted at you while you’re cramped in a tight seat and your head can barely move for two hours. Hopefully they get this resolved. I’m going to wait before I purchase tickets until others report back  because I’ve gone through this before — and it hurts 

Updated On: 3/10/24 at 12:09 PM

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#56THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 12:13pm

"I’m not so sure this is traditional first preview sound problems."

It's certainly possible. It's a different ballgame for sure. But they have hired the expert at this kind of sound design and there weren't reports of this in Chicago so... I'd lean toward it being preview issues and things get worked out in time. I hope!

Jesus saves. I spend.

Zeppie2022
#57THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 1:21pm

"In terms of the volume, he may have Pete Townshend (who's been hanging around the Nederlander) in his ear saying CRANK IT UP!"

Considering that Roger Daltry and Pete Townsend are both almost deaf, I tend to doubt it -lol

MsPiety&Rectitude
#58THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 2:10pm

I saw this last night... well, I saw the first half hour of it last night. What I saw was seriously amazing, so impressive, but SO RELENTLESSLY LOUD that I had a panic attack and had to leave mid-Act 1. It wasn't even about my ears hurting (which they did), but I could feel the sound in my entire body - it never lets up. (Relevant detail: I took a low dose of shrooms which likely heightened my senses and aided my spiral.) As I said, it was visually and dramatically so impressive, I do want to go back and see the rest... just bought the ear plugs Taffy recommended. Agree with East Village that withstanding this intensity while being crammed into a seat with little legroom is different than being at a concert where you can let your body move.

Updated On: 3/10/24 at 02:10 PM

VintageSnarker
#59THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 2:23pm

yyys said: "Is it the drums? Drums ruin everything."

Truly the worst part of any concert. I'm never there to hear the drummer.

I will definitely be looking into the earplugs Taffy recommended.

RUkiddingme
#60THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 2:56pm

I'm willing to bet the volume of this won't change between now and closing. 

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#61THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 3:06pm

MsPiety&Rectitude said: "(Relevant detail: I took a low dose of shrooms which likely heightened my senses and aided my spiral.) "

So you are a completely unreliable witness. Got it. 

BalconyClub Profile Photo
BalconyClub
#62THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 4:45pm

Caught TOMMY three times in Chicago. There were always complimentary earplugs available at guest services.

PipingHotPiccolo
#63THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 4:58pm

FANtomFollies said: "MsPiety&Rectitude said: "(Relevant detail: I took a low dose of shrooms which likely heightened my senses and aided my spiral.) "

"

LOL. "i went to a show blindfolded, and i left because i couldnt see anything!"

MsPiety&Rectitude
#64THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/10/24 at 5:14pm

FANtomFollies said: "MsPiety&Rectitude said: "(Relevant detail: I took a low dose of shrooms which likely heightened my senses and aided my spiral.) "

"

Just sharing my experience :)

TarHeelAlan
#65THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 8:56am

TaffyDavenport said: "Anyone who regularly attends live musical performances should invest in a pair of high fidelity earplugs. I've worn these regularly for years, and they lower the volume/decibels without sacrificing clarity. In many cases, I think they make the audio clearer by taking the edge off high frequencies, making them less strident and easier to listen to. They also help with super loud clappers and shrieking/screaming audience members, which are the bane of my theatregoing existence.

https://www.earpeace.com/products/music-earplugs

Available on Amazon, as well."

Agreed on always having high fidelity plugs at concerts and any amplified performance. I've been using one version or another of the Etymotics brand for over 20 years, also available at Amazon. 

https://www.etymotic.com/product/er20xs/

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#66THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 9:14am

I don’t remember it being too loud at the Goodman. I just remember thinking the band sounded kind of cheap? So maybe they’ve flushed it out a bit more. 

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#67THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 12:14pm

I thought the Des McAnuff Jesus Christ Superstar was pretty loud. I think it's just his thing.

Mickey3309
#68THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/11/24 at 3:08pm

Updated On: 3/12/24 at 03:08 PM

Jonathan Cohen Profile Photo
Jonathan Cohen
#69THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/12/24 at 12:52am

I went tonight. The seat was Orch R B10 (lottery ticket). I was right under the speaker and brought ear plugs but it was borderline in terms of being too loudness so I ended up not using them. 

Des McAnuff came out before the show, and explained that they were putting in a bunch of new changes for the first time tonight, but not having seen the show before, I don't know what they were. 

He also mention some people from the casts of MJ and Hell's Kitchen were in the audience. If I was in MJ and it was my day off, not sure seeing a musical where a young boy gets molested is how I would spend it.

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#70THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/12/24 at 8:18am

Did anyone see the 1993 Original production or any of the tours back in the 90's? 

This show is LOUD! From the first cord struck, it made the audience first scream a little, and then sit down and experience this show. It is not a normal theatrical performance. I can remember the shot guns the first 2 minutes in and it shook me, but it was awesome to be in a Broadway theatre and hear how loud and energetic it is. I was once in the last row of the balcony and it was loud up there. The show lasted a long time and people loved it. They also hated and walked out because of Uncle Ernie. That was a major event and people were gone or hated then show because of the blatant abuse. 

I went and joined the tour a year later and can tell you, no matter what city we were in it was the same level of sound. That's what they wanted and that's what they got. Being on stage with it, some of us had earplugs for certain numbers or you got used it. 

I just wanted to be honest, since Des is at the helm, they are not going to lower anything. It has its audience. 

Just my 2 cents

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#71THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/12/24 at 8:36am

Is it louder than MJ?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#72THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/12/24 at 10:52am

Jonathan Cohen said: "I went tonight. The seat was Orch R B10 (lottery ticket). I was right under the speaker and brought ear plugs but it was borderline in terms of being tooloudness so I ended up not using them.

Des McAnuff came out before the show, and explained that they were putting in a bunch of new changes for the first time tonight, but not having seen the show before, I don't know what they were.

He also mention some people from thecasts ofMJ and Hell's Kitchen were in the audience. If I was in MJ and it was my day off, not sure seeing a musical where a young boy gets molested is how I would spend it."

Oh dear Lord. Let it go. The subject matter in MJ is not the same as in Tommy so why would the cast of MJ, specifically, have a problem with it? Also, productions send invites to other productions on their nights off so that they get to see other shows and support friends that are in them. A lot of performers look forward to those evenings.

Just give the world Love.

thatdarnzach
#73THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/12/24 at 11:02am

Hey everyone - if you're seeing TOMMY sober (outside of actual sobriety practice), you're doing something wrong.

kaykordeath
#74THE WHO’S TOMMY Broadway Previews
Posted: 3/12/24 at 11:04am

Not that I expect there is room, but were they able to bring the custom made pinball tables from the lobby of the run in Chicago?