pixeltracker

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024- Page 4

The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#75The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 9:45am

Honestly Roger Bart got a nomination for what just might be the hammiest over the top performance ever, that’s far from the best of this or any other season. 

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Ptero2
#76The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 9:45am

ColorTheHours048 said: "Ptero2 said: "Who the heck is gonna win Featured Actor in a Play? Corey Stoll? Will Keen was the most common prediction I had seen before today, but, well..."

Eli Gelb or Will Brill would be my pick.
"

I'm gonna bust out the champagne if Gelb wins. 

blasvader
#77The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 9:46am

Mark_E said: "I think it's a great set of nominations. That featured actress in a musical category is incredible. What I am very surprised at is all of the love for Water for Elephants. It was by far one of the weakest musicals of the season for me and for it to be nominated for Best Musical and a slew of others was not on my radar."

The critics went to bat for it, out of all things. 

gibsons2
#78The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 9:47am

Disappointed in so many HK nominations, I thought it was... entertaining and fun, but unoriginal shlock. On the same level as Back to the future. Hurt for Lempicka not getting nominated for the original score and music...  At this point I'm just rooting for The Outsiders which I loved and will be getting a ticket to Stereophonic very soon. My curiosity peaked after these nomination got announced. 

Updated On: 4/30/24 at 09:47 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#79The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 9:49am

On the design side, a number of repeated names, with David Zinn and Dede Ayite each getting 3 nominations, and dots, Natasha Katz, and Isabella Byrd getting 2.  

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#80The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 9:51am

Days of Wine and Roses missing in Book and Orchestrations is a headscratcher. Suffs and The Notebook missing in Orchestrations also. Maybe we need to get more experts in orchestration on the nominating committee.

Mr. Wormwood Profile Photo
Mr. Wormwood
#81The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 9:53am

It'll be interesting to see if this has any immediate impact on the box office. I could see The Outsiders and Water For Elephants picking up steam in ticket sales for sure. On the flip side, it'll likely be tough sledding for The Notebook. Gatsby, The Wiz and Tommy have been doing well but I wonder if the lack of noms will slow things a bit. I'm guessing The Wiz will be fine.

leefowler
#82The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 9:54am

When Billy Joel won the best orchestration Tony for "Movin' Out," I realized there's not a lot of people who understand what an orchestration is.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

Mr.Liir
#83The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 9:59am

The Wiz is a 20 week limited engagement set to go back out on tour. It's also selling moderately well... its future wasn't wrapped up in Tony noms.

kurtal
#84The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:04am

Quick thoughts:

I'm delighted the Brody gets in.  Sad for Chip.  

Glad they found five slots for Leading Actress in a Play

Featured Actress in a Musical is WILD and wide open.

No Ricky or Conrad in Featured Actor is probably my biggest heartbreak.  Especially with six nominations.

Surprised that Francis Benhamou didn't get in, especially over Quincy Tyler Bernstine, who I was underwhelmed by in Doubt.

Surprised but not mad at all the acting nods or Stereophonic.

LOVE THE WHITNEY WHITE NOMINATION!

Sad that Lorin Latarro didn't get in, especially over Here Lies Love (whose choreo was just meh)

Surprised (but actually not shocked) at Stereophonic in orchestrations.

I love Jaja's in Scenic Design.  Surprised at Mary Jane snub.

I sat in the balcony for Hell's Kitchen and the sound design was awful up there.  Clearly the nominators sat in the orchestra.

gibsons2
#85The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:04am

leefowler said: "When Billy Joel won the best orchestration Tony for "Movin' Out," I realized there's not a lot of people who understand what an orchestration is."

It's true. But some orchestrations are glaringly not good, so you kind of recognize these even without special background in music. I thought Lempicka had the worst this year. The Notebook has one of the best orchestration and no nomination for it is baffling.

FANtomFollies Profile Photo
FANtomFollies
#86The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:07am

kurtal said: "I sat in the balcony for Hell's Kitchen and the sound design was awful up there. Clearly the nominators sat in the orchestra."

Maybe that also explains Sweeney Todd's win for sound design last year. I sat front row Mezz and it was truly the worst sound design I have ever heard at a Broadway show.

Alex Kulak2
#87The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:08am

gibsons2 said: "leefowler said: "When Billy Joel won the best orchestration Tony for "Movin' Out," I realized there's not a lot of people who understand what an orchestration is."

It's true. But some orchestrations are glaringly not good, so you kind of recognize theseeven without special background in music. I thought Lempicka had the worst this year. The Notebook has one of the best orchestration and no nomination for it is baffling.
"

The breaking point was when Dear Evan Hansen won Best Orchestrations over Great Comet (I actually liked DEH over Great Comet back then, and even I thought that made no sense).

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#88The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:08am

ElephantLoveMedley said: "Stereophonicis officially the most Tony-nominated play in history."

Thank goodness. Now Jeremy can stop touting his mediocre play with that tagline  And Stereophonic will actually win some awards. 

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

BoringBoredBoard40
#89The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:09am

It's not going to win but considering it started as a one act in a grocery store basement, Gutenberg getting a revival nomination is a nice little cap on that shows journey.

FLarnhill Profile Photo
FLarnhill
FLarnhill Profile Photo
FLarnhill
#91The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:12am

Tony Winner Jeremy Strong has a great sound to it.

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#92The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:16am

Mr.Liir said: "The Wiz is a 20 week limited engagement set to go back out on tour. It's also selling moderately well... its future wasn't wrapped up in Tony noms."

It also happens to be absolutely dreadful.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#93The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:21am

One thing's for sure about orchestrations: They do love when you can see the musicians.

silent
#94The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:26am

The Wiz deserved a few noms! 

Updated On: 4/30/24 at 10:26 AM

GottaGetAGimmick420
#95The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:26am

It must be a hard morning in the wiz/brian moreland's office today.

Happy for the HLL love! Surprised by the Lempicka and HK love though.

I'm just here so I don't get fined

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#96The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:29am

kdogg36 said: "I can't imagine many shows have won Best Musical without getting at least a nomination for its director."

For the record, it seems that Titanic (1997) is the only show to win Best Musical without a Best Director nomination since the latter category came into being in 1960. Hoping for another one this year. 

MezzA101
#97The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:32am

NYT:

The Green Girls are making good.

Three women who have starred on Broadway as Elphaba in “Wicked” picked up Tony nominations on Tuesday.

Shoshana Bean, who inhabited the role for a year starting in 2005, was nominated as best featured actress for “Hell’s Kitchen,” in which she plays a tough-minded single mother trying to protect her adolescent daughter from the temptations of the street. (This is her second Tony nomination — she was also nominated in 2022 for “Mr. Saturday Night.”)

Eden Espinosa, who succeeded Bean as Elphaba in 2006, was nominated as best leading actress for playing an artistically and sexually adventurous painter in “Lempicka.”

And Lindsay Mendez, who became Elphaba in 2013, scored a nomination as best featured actress for portraying a hard-drinking novelist in this season’s hit revival of “Merrily We Roll Along.” (Mendez already has one Tony, for her portrayal of Carrie Pipperidge in a 2018 revival of “Carousel.”)

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#98The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:37am

It’s a good day for The Public Theater, with two musicals that started there now nominated for Best Musical. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#99The 77th Annual Tony Award Nominations for 2024
Posted: 4/30/24 at 10:48am

Glad to see Grey House remembered for lighting and sound, although I think Joe Mantello also deserved a nomination.