pixeltracker

LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?

LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?

Jesse St. James Profile Photo
Jesse St. James
#1LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:00pm

City Center is sending out offers to stunt cast Fabrizio to get Piazza on Broadway.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#2LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:09pm

Is CITY CENTER sending out those offers, as in they are intending to self-produce this transfer?

I can't think of any "stunt" casting that would be remotely appropriate for Fabrizio. They'd be lucky to get an Il Volo guy (who would mean nothing at the box office).

Insanity!

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#3LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:17pm

I'm in the camp praying for a transfer.  Absolutely loved the Encores! presentation and it's been nearly 20 years since this was last on Broadway.  

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#4LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:31pm

DEAR WORLD is the one that needs to go to broadway.   The best show they ever did.  Donna Murphy was GORGEOUS on that stage!!

MatthewS1
#5LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:33pm

Poor James D Gish, he deserves to transfer :(

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#6LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:35pm

MatthewS1 said: "Poor James D Gish, he deserves to transfer :("

...ehhhhhh.  "Deserves" is a wee bit too strong of a word in my opinion.  He was fine.

corninthesky Profile Photo
corninthesky
#7LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:39pm

Assuming they intend to keep Anna and Ruthie as Clara and Margaret in the transfer?

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#8LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:45pm

Broadway Flash said: "DEAR WORLD is the one that needs to go to broadway. The best show they ever did. Donna Murphy was GORGEOUS on that stage!!

"

And how many Encores productions have you seen in the last 30 years to make such a statement.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.
Updated On: 6/25/24 at 01:45 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#9LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:47pm

Jesse St. James said: "City Center is sending out offers to stunt cast Fabrizio to get Piazza on Broadway."

It’s not “stunt casting” if they’re just looking for a name that sells tickets. The term has lost all meaning, in the last few years.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#10LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:50pm

MatthewS1 said: "Poor James D Gish, he deserves to transfer :("

That classically pretty white tenor will be fine :)

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#11LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:52pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Jesse St. James said: "City Center is sending out offers to stunt cast Fabrizio to get Piazza on Broadway."

It’s not “stunt casting” if they’re just looking for a name that sells tickets. The term has lost all meaning, in the last few years.
"

100%! I cringe every time someone says stunt casting.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#12LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 1:55pm

Wouldn’t it be considered star casting, in this case?

Oh look, a bibu!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#13LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 2:07pm

I’m having a tough time thinking of a twenty-something year old star who can both pull off Fabrizio and help sell tickets.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 6/25/24 at 02:07 PM

Broadway Flash
#14LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 2:12pm

Just put Aaron tveit in it, he sells tickets in everything he’s in

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#15LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 2:13pm

Broadway Flash said: "Just put Aaron tveit in it, he sells tickets in everything he’s in"

No.

Call_me_jorge
#16LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 2:17pm

Broadway Flash said: "Just put Aaron tveit in it, he sells tickets in everything he’s in"

Aaron is old enough to play Frabrizio’s father 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

chrishuyen
#17LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 2:29pm

Andrew Barth Feldman comes to mind, not sure how much his name means to the broader non-theater audience but he's been in a few high profile movies and I'm sure is getting publicity through Little Shop as well.  Maybe someone like Joshua Bassett but I'm not sure how much he'd want to take on a role that seems to be more on the supporting side.

Broadway Flash
#18LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 2:35pm

Aaron was wrong for Sweeney too.  It doesn’t matter as long as they bring in the $$$

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#19LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 2:37pm

Broadway Flash said: "Aaron was wrong for Sweeney too. It doesn’t matter as long as they bring in the $$$"

Again you are typing for the sake of typing.

Updated On: 6/25/24 at 02:37 PM

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#20LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 3:31pm

Can we please just ignore this loser?  They'd be gone in a week if they didn't get attention.

Back to the main question of replacement:

Nicholas Hoult, Chris Pine, Timothée Chalamet, Nicholas Galitzine, Jacob Elordi, Austin Butler, and of course, Tom Holland, would all make a good amount of change at the box office (If Matthew Morrison could play this role, who I adored in this role, so can all of the above).  Wishful thinking, but I can see any one of them doing it for the cred (and a potential Tony), despite the massive pay loss, provided its a short dedication.  Whether they can sing is another matter.  

Jarethan
#21LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 4:17pm

Play Esq. said: "Can we please just ignore this loser? They'd be gone in a week if they didn't get attention.

Back to the main question of replacement:

Nicholas Hoult, Chris Pine,Timothée Chalamet,Nicholas Galitzine,Jacob Elordi,Austin Butler, and of course, Tom Holland, would all make a good amount of change at the box office (If Matthew Morrison could play this role, who I adored in this role,so can all of the above). Wishful thinking, but I can see any one of them doing it for the cred (and a potential Tony), despite the massive pay loss, provided it’s a short dedication. Whether they can singis another matter.

Chris Pine is way too old (handsome, but looks older than he is IMO).  Why would any of them take on a supporting role in a show that is sorta niche in the first place.  Unless there is some TV person I am not thinking of (like the Hearststopper duo) who can sing and wants a chance to play Broadway, they are going to have a problem.

One thing I am unclear about: is this going to happen or is it a fishing expedition?  I think that would be great at the Booth.

Call_me_jorge
#22LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 4:23pm

Chris Pine is in his 40's, but the others are fine for the role.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#23LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 4:51pm

Look at the OP’s post history and you’ll find the answer as to how likely it is this is happening. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Jarethan
#24LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 4:51pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Chris Pine is in his 40's, but the others are fine for the role."

I didn’t say they were not…just that I did not see any of them even giving it a second thought, assuming they even had strong enough voices.  It would not make any sense to me.

bwayobsessed
#25LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA to transfer to Broadway?
Posted: 6/25/24 at 7:50pm

This is an opera roll essentially. James had the perfect voice for it, much better than Morrison. I like many of the movie names thrown around a few posts back but I don’t think any of them can sing the part remotely well

Videos