pixeltracker

Most challenging role on Broadway

Most challenging role on Broadway

timote316
#0Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 11:43am

I'm curious to find out what everyone thinks is the most challenging role on Broadway right now. And, just for kicks, how about the most challenging role vocally.

I think Elphaba has got to be up there for most vocally challenging role. You have to belt as well as be able to sing a ballad, and have a great range. Any other ideas?

luvWICKED416 Profile Photo
luvWICKED416
#1re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 11:47am

yeah... good call. Def. Elphaba...
Also Tracy in Hairspray.. that's a huge role.
Former Aida (vocally in Gods Love Nubia & Dance of the Robe)

timote316
#2re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 11:50am

lol, after I posted, I though about going back to include recent shows, as Aida is a very hard part. Tracy is a good one, too.

popcultureboy Profile Photo
popcultureboy
#3re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 11:55am

The lead role in Caroline, Or Change.
Mama Rose.

Edit: I didn't read the initial post that clearly, did I?

Nothing precious, plain to see, don't make a fuss over me. Not loud, not soft, but somewhere inbetween. Say sorry, just let it be the word you mean.
Updated On: 11/1/04 at 11:55 AM

MargoChanning
#4re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 11:57am

If were talking about shows playing on Broadway RIGHT NOW:

Overall -- Max Bialystock in The Producers (Lane made it look easy, but he's said it's the hardest thing he's ever done and it's killed him vocally); Ruth Sherwood in Wonderful Town? (I guess it must be demanding given the dozens of performances Murphy missed, but Roz Russell never missed any performances in two years during the original run, so I'm not sure)

Dancing -- All of the principal dancers in Movin' Out (especially John Selya); Roxie and Velma in Chicago; Peggy Sawyer in 42nd Street

Singing -- Elphaba; The Phantom; Brooklyn and Paradice (not crazy about the show, but the two of them are going rupture blood vessels in their throats from all of that stratospheric belting)

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 11/1/04 at 11:57 AM

WOSQ
#5re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 11:58am

Emotionally for actresses and audience, go see 'Night Mother.

"If my life weren't funny, it would just be true. And that would be unacceptable." --Carrie Fisher

broadwaybound3 Profile Photo
broadwaybound3
#6re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:09pm

I agree with Elphaba- but dont forget about Galinda and that opratic singing during NOMTW- I would have liked to hear more of that, but its really hard to reach in the first place. :) Updated On: 11/1/04 at 12:09 PM

Plum
#7re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:21pm

For pure endurance, Peter Allen in The Boy From Oz is a killer. But guys, come on- we had a thread about this just a few weeks ago. :)

Speed
#8re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:35pm

Max Bialystock- overall and vocally.... no QUESTION

almost NO ONE can be found to play Max. there are LOTS of folk who could play Elphaba or most other roles on Broadway

pab Profile Photo
pab
#9re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:42pm

I agree with Max Bialystock.

I do believe, however, that there are actors out there that can play this role and play it well but when the show's producers are always looking for a NAME to do the part then they will continue to experience difficulty.

As for Elphaba, there seems to be no problems finding people to play that part.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

newsieboy23 Profile Photo
newsieboy23
#10re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 12:51pm

Peggy Sawyer, hands down.

Seany Profile Photo
Seany
#11re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 5:21pm

The RENT stuff is hard to mantain vocally every night without blowing your voice.

Same goes for MOVIN' OUT - singing 24 Billy Joel songs in a row must take a toll on one's voice.

There's a light in the darkness of everybody's life.

brandonm
#12re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 5:26pm

elphaba

"Let the little girl go, and that poor little dog? Dodo." That's my favorite line in the whole show (Wicked). My next favorite line is "Oh! It seems the artichoke is steamed."

Plum
#13re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 5:32pm

If Rent actors blow out their voices more than others, I think it's because they are very likely to have little to no vocal training, and no idea of how to maintain their voices for a long run of 8 performances a week. Vocally, the parts aren't really killers.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#14re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 5:32pm

SINGING:
* Elphaba - Wicked (Especially those notes in "The Wizard and I" and "Defying Gravity" 8 times a week)
* Christine Daae - Phantom of the Opera

DANCING:
* Any of the characters in Movin' Out
* Peggy Sawyer - 42nd Street

OVERALL:
* Max Bialystock - The Producers
* Edna Turnblad - Hairspray
* Millie - Thoroughly Modern Millie (even though it is not on Broadway anymore)
* Peter - Boy From Oz (again, even though it's not on Broadway anymore)

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

broadway86 Profile Photo
broadway86
#15re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 7:05pm

Emotionally and vocally

Guido Contini
Jekyll & Hyde
Mama Rose
Fosca

I don't see how anyone could find Tracey to be a difficult part. But, that's just my opinion. You could be wrong.

EDITS: Whoops, it's parts that are on B'way currently. Oh, well. Updated On: 11/1/04 at 07:05 PM

LyTeMyCanDyI Profile Photo
LyTeMyCanDyI
#16re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 7:19pm

Singing wise, deff Elphaba for females and Michael Cavanaugh, the lead vocalist in Movin' Out. He's got it rough. He sings that entire show himself!

Dancing, I'd say anyone in Movin' Out, but especially John Selya. Mimi in RENT has that wwhole catwalk dance that sadly was toned down during Mel B.'s run. Also, 42 Street.

Overall performance, Angel in RENT. I mean, he signs, plays the pickle tubs, and dances in those heels. Gay or not, he's still a man! That can't be easy. I'm also gonna put Elphaba here, along with Glinda.

Megan Mullally as Karen Walker on Will and Grace: "Tell me more. Tell me more. Like does he have a car?"

NuggetMonkeys Profile Photo
NuggetMonkeys
#17re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 7:20pm

Caroline Thibodeaux - Caroline, or Change.

Bejees...
-d.b.j-

Vary My Days.

Yankeefan007
#18re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 7:21pm

mamma rose
max bialystock

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#19re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 7:22pm

The only roles currently on B'way that even come close to the vocal and emotional difficulty of Sweeney Todd, Rose, Caroline or Mrs. Lovett are Max Bialystock and maybe the Phantom.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.
Updated On: 11/1/04 at 07:22 PM

Plum
#20re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 7:25pm

Priest is right- we need a little perspective here. There's challenging roles, and then there's Rose, a role so hard that only Ethel Merman was truly able to sing the songs to their fullest and in the original key, and even she hurt herself and had to take a few days off after a while. And she never took days off.

#21re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 9:39pm

we must remember a lotta the stuff in poto is pre-recorded! even then its hard though!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#22re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 10:25pm

Elphaba
and the Phantom (SUCH a strenuous role to play!)

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#23re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/1/04 at 11:09pm

this is a list with challenging roles CURRENTLY on Broadway.

anyone in 42nd street because of all the dancing and different types of dancing

Edna Turnblad- you have to find the blanace of not being a cross-dresser and really BEING the motherly figure, and making the whole man-playing-a women thing work.

Christine Daae- All the high notes she has to sing
Phantom- has to have dead on acting to make it believeable and HAS to have a seducing and beautiful voice

Max Bialystock and Leo Bloom- you have to be a triple threat, you will always be compared to matthew and nathan

Glinda- You have to have a wide variety of singing styles and you have to have perfect comidic timing or it wont work.

Elphaba- belting all those notes 8 times a week and not killing your voice is a miricle in itself.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

bdwybelle
#24re: Most challenging role on Broadway
Posted: 11/3/04 at 8:12pm

MargoChanning - Ruth Sherwood is a hard role vocally. When Rosalind Russell did Wonderful Town she didn't really sing, it was more talking than singing. I have the soundtrack, and there is a huge difference vocally.

Latest Posts

Videos