Best Show of The 90's

charliebrownkid Profile Photo
charliebrownkid
#0Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/19/04 at 10:56pm

there were alot of good shows in the 90's, some deservingly winning the tony award, but others not as recognized... what do you think is the best show of the 90's

#1re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/19/04 at 11:05pm

Ragtime
Once on This Island
Falsettoland

three that were amazing.

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#2re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/19/04 at 11:11pm

RENT!

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Gothampc
#3re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/19/04 at 11:22pm

Depends on what you consider "best"

Sunset Boulevard for eye popping opulence and star wattage
Rent for reaching out to a younger audience

I'll think of others later

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

MargoChanning
#4re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/19/04 at 11:27pm

Angels In America -- THE theatrical event of the decade. No musical even comes close.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 12/19/04 at 11:27 PM

Type_A_Tiff Profile Photo
Type_A_Tiff
#5re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/19/04 at 11:27pm

Do you mean shows that opened in the '90s? I'd say Rent, but I wish I'd seen Angels In America on stage as well.

"It's not always about you!!!" (But if you think I'm referring to you anyway, then I probably am.)

"Good luck returning my ass!" - Wilhemina Slater

"This is my breakfast, lunch and f***ing dinner right here. I'm not even f***in' joking." - Colin Farrell

MarkCohen
#6re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/19/04 at 11:35pm

Rent

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#7re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/19/04 at 11:43pm

RENT

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#8re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 12:23am

RENT,RAGTIME,BIG there were so many... if I was older in the 90s i might have been more experienced in my taste but, I was 10 and 11 when these shows opened.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#9re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 12:26am

It depends how you define 'best,' but RENT certainly deserves mention.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

maybethistime
#10re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 12:40am

plays: angels in america, noises off
musicals: cabaret revival, falsettoland, rent Updated On: 12/20/04 at 12:40 AM

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#11re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 12:42am

Amen to the revivals of "Cabaret" and "Chicago"! I wish "Cabaret" was still going strong like "Chicago" but, great shows that opened in the '90's.

-Vincent

bronxboundexpress Profile Photo
bronxboundexpress
#12re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 12:45am

THE CIVIL WAR!

jk i wish

I'd say SUNSET BOULEVARD and RENT.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#13re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 1:11am

I agree with all of what is mentioned, but I have to say The Lion King. It's not the best show of the 90's, but it deserves to be mentioned just because of the way it looks, and defying people that thought it couldnt not be done.

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

pab Profile Photo
pab
#14re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 1:23am

"Angels In America" was by far the best show of the 90's.

"Smart! And into all those exotic mystiques -- The Kama Sutra and Chinese techniques. I hear she knows more than seventy-five. Call me tomorrow if you're still alive!"

marincrazy11 Profile Photo
marincrazy11
#15re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 2:10am

Here's one from each category: Angels in America and Ragtime.

"Did you know that if you take the first two vowels in Olive and rearrange them it spells I-Love?"-Spelling Bee "It's night like this that hotel bars were specifically made." Light In The Piazza

broadwaybondchik Profile Photo
broadwaybondchik
#16re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 3:36am

yeah....def. ragtime

Me tarzan nah nah nah nah....

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#17re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 5:19am

Someone said Big. No no no...

RENT had the most affect on the theatre-going community, as it lowered the age of the average ticket-buyer and it employed the $20 rush seats.

Ragtime was artistically quite an accomplishment and is very fulfilling as a big Broadway show.

The Lion King did a wonderful job reimagining a classic movie in a way that related well to stage, and brought in new technical areas to theatre.

City of Angels was one of Cy Coleman's last works, and was truly an original work.

Once on this Island was by far the most beautiful show on the 90's, and is one of the great "small cast" shows. It also brought us La Chanze.

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#18re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 5:35am

totally Angels in America. Margo is once again quick to chime in brilliantly. 20 years from now, it will be considered one of the top 5 most important plays in the 20th century. In fact, it may already be thrown into consideration for that prize alongside Long Day's Journey in Night, Death of a Salesman, The Glass Menagerie, and...well the other one deserves a good quarrel/discussion.

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

paradox_error Profile Photo
paradox_error
#19re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 7:14am

Angels In America = Brilliant

New Musicals :
Passion, Assassins, Parade, City of Angels
Revivals:
Show Boat, Cabaret, Chicago, A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum

Broadway_Life_101 Profile Photo
Broadway_Life_101
#20re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 7:42am

RENT....Is the best show of the 90's! Hands Down!

DancerGirl16 Profile Photo
DancerGirl16
#21re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 8:17am

Ragtime
Rent comes second

Play: Angels in America

When someone blunders, we say that he makes a misstep. Is it then not clear that all the ills of mankind, all the tragic misfortunes that fill our history books, all the political blunders, all the failures of the great leaders have arisen merely from a lack of skill in dancing. - Moliere

rockfenris2005
#22re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 8:19am

Um:

Broadway: City of Angels

West End: Sunset Boulevard, Whistle Down the Wind

Foreign: The Boy From Oz, Tanz der Vampire, Elisabeth

Can't think right now...

Who can explain it, who can tell you why? Fools give you reasons, wise men never try -South Pacific

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#23re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 9:59am

Plays:

Angels in America
Master Class
The Beauty Queen of Leenane

Musicals:

City of Angels
Falsettos
Rent

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#24re: Best Show of The 90's
Posted: 12/20/04 at 10:03am

Ragtime
RENT

and erm I dunno I guess you could say Lion King because it's been doing so well and it was the first Disney musical on Bway

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Videos