The Music Man

musicalsinger20
#0The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 5:48pm

Please only respond to this if you like "The Music Man"
What is your favorite scene? I really like the Library scene and "Till There Was You"

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#1re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 5:52pm

anything with eulalie... she cracks me up

::bust a move::

StickToPriest Profile Photo
StickToPriest
#2re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 5:52pm

I adore the entire Beggining of The Music Man.
From 'Rock Island' through 'Iowa Stubborn' all the way to the end of 'Ya Got Trouble' and the scenes in between them.
A brilliant opening trio of songs.

I, also, love the library scene.

"One no longer loves one's insight enough once one communicates it."

The opposite of creation isn't war, it's stagnation.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#3re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:02pm

Rock Island= one of the most brilliant, daring opening numbers ever created for a musical

I also love Trouble and Marian the Librarian.

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

GovernorSlaton Profile Photo
GovernorSlaton
#4re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:06pm

Marian the Librarian was the most fun to do when I played Hill, although Trouble was great too. re: The Music Man

Derek
#5re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:11pm

i love the whole show :)

Adoannie925 Profile Photo
Adoannie925
#6re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:23pm

I loooove "The Music Man", but my faborite scene is probably "Gary, Indiana." I love the whole show, so it's hard to say!

seasons of love Profile Photo
seasons of love
#7re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:30pm

oy vey.... i could never pick just one favorite scene. the music man was one of the classics that i grew up on...

"I am unfinished- I am diminished With or without you..."

timote316
#8re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:32pm

I love, love, love the Music Man! The theater group I'm in was going to do it this summer, but extrenuating circumstances canned that idea.

My favorite song is definately Rock Island.

Caroline-Q-or-TBoo Profile Photo
Caroline-Q-or-TBoo
#9re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:33pm

library scene and rock harbor are great! Timote- i'd like to rent your sig space.

"Picture "The View," with the wisecracking, sympathetic sweethearts of that ABC television show replaced by a panel of embittered, suffering or enraged Arab women" -the Times review of Black Eyed

Marquise Profile Photo
Marquise
#10re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 6:35pm

it's had to pick but among them most definitely "76 Trombones", "Rock Island", "Marian" (the library scene) and "Shipoopi".

wicked4good2 Profile Photo
wicked4good2
#11re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:04pm

ahh i LOVE the music man. we just watched the movie in my musical theatre class last week (robert preston version), and i've seen it numerous times onstage. my favorite scenes would have to be "trouble" the piano scene at the puru's with amaryllis, and "shipoopi"

"It is a curious thought, but it's only when you see people looking ridiculous that you realize just how much you love them."

DestinyBeckoned Profile Photo
DestinyBeckoned
#12re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:05pm

shipoopi has a special place in my heart, since that was my first acting ever, being zaneeta in 8th grade. But I really like Rock Island and Marian the Librarian.

HROK?

KateMusic Profile Photo
KateMusic
#13re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:07pm

Rock Island . . . pure genius

Some people analyze every detail/ Some people stall when they can't see the trail/ Some people freeze out of fear that they'll fail/ But I keep rollin' on/ Some people can't get success with their art/ Some people never feel love in their heart/ Some people can't tell the two things apart/ But I keep rollin' on

Chrysanthemum62001
#14re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:10pm

HELLO CRAIG BIERKO!!! Sorry, I couldn't resist. I saw this in February of 2001 and I will never forget hom amazed I was with Craig Bierko. He is the best part! But seriously, my favorite part is Trouble.

"What a mystery this world. One day you love them and the next day you want to kill them a thousand times over." The Masked Bandit in THE FALL

La Vie Boheme
#15re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:17pm

Def the trouble scene...

Music Man is your classic, fun, ol' skool B'way show...I like it

Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Program: $10 Dirty Rotten Scoundrals Window Poster: $15 Winning the lottery with your friend: Priceless (+ $25) I<3NY

RumTumTugger22 Profile Photo
RumTumTugger22
#16re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:18pm

i agree with La Vie

CAGES OR WINGS? WHICH DO YOU PREFER? ASK THE BIRDS. FEAR OR LOVE, BABY? DON'T SAY THE ANSWER, ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

CatieElphie1 Profile Photo
CatieElphie1
#17re: The Music Man

I love Rock Island....but mostly that's becuase I go to school there, and my mom and dad work there, so it's fun to sing a song about a town that I know about...but I always have loved the library scene. It rox my sox

Was that a fat joke?

Jon
#18re: The Music Man

If you have a good barbershop quartet, those numbers are quite enjoyable, espcially the Lida Rose sequence when they sing counterpoint with Marian.

Elizabeth_DeBris
#19re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:25pm

Rock Island! Oh, and Trouble. I was never really partial to the library scene, but it's been growing on me. And Pick-a-Little, Talk-a-Little cracks me up every time I hear it.
"Balzac!"

wicked1
#20re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:29pm

I really loved "The Music Man"! I saw if for the first time a few years ago on Broadway. I had never seen it before then, not even a movie version. My favorite part was the end. I was very surprised when they came out as the marching band. I didn't expect it at all! re: The Music Man

Letty2
#21re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:33pm

haha I was Eulalie last year in my school production and one of my favorite scenes was the Madison Gymnasium scene where Tommy throws a firecracker at Eulalie

LightMyCandle125 Profile Photo
LightMyCandle125
#22re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:46pm

craig was amazing in the revival! my fave part was when the entire cast came out at the end with different instruments that they had all definitely learned and praticed. it was awesome. i loooooooooove trouble!!!!

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

leomaxfrank Profile Photo
leomaxfrank
#23re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 7:48pm

The opening is wonderful, "Rock Island", "Trouble", and the library scene. Willson's score is tremendous and I believe underappreciated. Bierko's Harold Hill was EXCELLENT - even if a slight imitation.

I truly loved the revival, minus Stroman's infamous 'kids doing backflips' - over it!

But I won't live alone in a house of regret.

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#24re: The Music Man
Posted: 1/30/05 at 8:17pm

When I did the show, 76 TROMBONES was my favorite scene - I played Tommy Djilas and I got to do a lot of dancing. In the overall show, my favorite scene is the final scene where the kids entirely in uniform march onto stage with their instruments and play for their parents. None of the kids have learned anything about music obviously, but their parents still applaud them and all the children are happier than ever - seeing all the kids embrace their parents - and especially Winthrop's smile (for the first time) can be very moving and touching if done correctly.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

Videos