Final Tony Award Performances Announced

Final Tony Award Performances Announced

Icbanannie Profile Photo
Icbanannie
WickedShopofQ Profile Photo
WickedShopofQ
#1re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 3:38pm

on broadway.com, it talks about the songs they willl do in the opening too!
Musical Numbers Revealed for the 2005 Tonys

...Please understand that it's still strange and frightning...

Yankeefan007
#2re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 3:38pm

confused - Spamalot is doing Find Your Grail

as well as

Knights of the Round Table? Playbill says theyre doing learner and loewe's Camelot but bway,com says theire doing a song called "Spamalot" from the Camelot sequence of the show. clarify please

Kevo711 Profile Photo
Kevo711
#3re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 3:39pm

thanks! i'm excited that they chose a song from spamalot that features Sara Ramirez... Great Big Stuff should be fun... and i think these are great choices for the most part!

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#4re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 3:47pm

Yankeefan, some shows are performing twice:

Once during the opening montage of all shows produced this year -->

["Like the 2004 Tony Awards telecast, the opening number of the 2005 Tony Awards will feature host Hugh Jackman and cast members from all of the season's nominated shows. The company of Spamalot will offer a portion of the Lerner and Loewe classic Camelot during this number." - Playbill] -->Which probably means the cast of Spamalot will do some riff on something from Camelot.

THEN, the cast of Spamalot will perform "Find yoru Grail" for their actual performance during the show. Hope that helps.

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#5re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 3:48pm

Wow. I totally predicted Charity's medley.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#6re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 3:51pm

The opening number looks like it should be interesting...every show is performing in it.

Yankeefan007
#7re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 3:53pm

i knew they were performing twice, i was just confused as to which number would be in the opening. i assumed it was 'knights' as that is their camelot parody

BwayTheatre11
#8re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 4:23pm

The opening number is going to be awesome!

CCM '10!

South Fl Marc Profile Photo
South Fl Marc
#9re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 4:27pm

Very smart of La Cage to do a number that features Les Cagelles - now the best thing in the show.

kangaroo Profile Photo
kangaroo
#10re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 4:29pm

I'm mad... I really wanted Matthew Morrison to sing at the Tonys. This stinks

[I had already been in the mindset that Sutton was not going to be singing at the Tony's this year]
~kangaroo

NIL MAGNUM NISI BONUM "No greatness without goodness."

RENThead, enLIGHist, Ozalot, Grobanite, Ringer, Pickwick LW, Wicked, Lost, American Dreams, West Wing
Lea S. Hugh J. Adam P. Idina M. Matt M. Taye D.

MargoChanning
#11re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 4:31pm

Morrison is singing a snippet of "Passagiata" in the opening montage.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

#1Elphie Profile Photo
#1Elphie
#12re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 4:34pm

Seems like pretty good choices from all the nominees. Although I wish Sherie were performing in some way.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#13re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 5:15pm

I was hoping "Spamalot" would do something else. "Find Your Grail" is probably my least favorite song in the score.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#14re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 5:19pm

This should make all those people happy who were upset that DRS wasn't doing Dirty Rotten Number :0)

I'm SO glad they are having Matt Morrison do something. Although I do think it's a little weird that Spelling Bee is doing the title song twice, albeit different versions.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Jwei123 Profile Photo
Jwei123
#15re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 5:21pm

I'm really excited for the numbers this year. And I hope none of them fvck up like a certain show did last year.

awkward.

"I think it was the Korean tour or something. They were all frickin' asian!" -Zoran912

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#16re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 5:22pm

HAHAHA, Oh Jwei, I hope so. I forgot how disappointing the performances were last year.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

bwayballerina
#17re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 5:42pm

Yay, Matt Morrison gets to sing! re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced (even if it's just a short snippet)

DreamFlyer22 Profile Photo
DreamFlyer22
#18re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 5:47pm

Hmmm. Well, hey! We get to see more of our favorite shows, at least! I'm highly curious about Spamalot's first number, though... (and very glad to hear they're doing "Grail".. it just works as a standalone without massive editing, which "Knights" would have needed in order to fit the Tonys 4 minute time limit).

*~* Every time you double-post, God kills a kitten. *~*

Kay, the Thread-Jacking Jedi
Quando omni flunkus moritati (When all else fails, play dead...)

"... chasin' the music. Trying to get home."

Peter Gregus: "Where are my house right ladies?!"
(love you, girls! - 6/13/06)

TheatreDiva612 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva612
#19re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:06pm

what show effed up last year?

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#20re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:14pm

I am confused -- are all new musicals that opened this year participating in the opening medley, or just the 4 nominees? If it's the 4 nominees, it seems a little redundant to have them perform a snippet then a larger portion later.

Also, I really don't understand why Spamalot picked "Find Your Grail." Is the TV audience going to get it? The song is not very funny in itself, only as a parody of "that kind of song," and I think that might be lost on the viewers. There are other songs and scenes that are much funnier, and "The Song That Goes Like This" is a much more obvious parody if they wanted to go that route. I think it was smart to pick a song that prominently featured Sara Ramirez since I think she is going to be their only acting winner, but I would have chosen differently.

Also, I don't think any of the new musicals effed up their song choice last year. Avenue Q's "It Sucks to be Me" came off well. While Caroline or Change and Wicked were less successful, I think the producers were wise to choose the showcase numbers for Tonya and Idina, and they certainly had the potential to have been real showstoppers, although it didn't turn out that way. (I for one would have been disappointed if any other number from either show had been chosen.) The Boy From Oz should have chosen "I Go to Rio," but "Bi-Coastal" COULD have come across well if Sarah Jessica Parker wasn't so uptight.

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"
Updated On: 5/31/05 at 06:14 PM

MargoChanning
#21re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:17pm

The four nominated musicals and two of the revivals will particpate in an opening montage where each will do a snippet of a song from their shows. Then each will perform a full length version of a DIFFERENT number from their shows during the remaining course of the telecast.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

gavrochegirl
#22re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:24pm

I actually like the decisions they made for Spamalot. re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced

What the puck?!

Demitri2 Profile Photo
Demitri2
#23re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:49pm

I KNOW...I know...there weren't enough open slots for "Chitty" to receive a nomination but hey! I saw everything musical this season (except for "Pacific Overtures") and found "Chitty" just as enjoyable as some of the other shows which will be performing at the ceremonies this year. Since the Tony Awards reflect the good will and promotion of the theater industry and hopefully affect ticket sales to some of degree, why not let shows that are running (including "All Shook Up") have some air time. We're talking 3 hours of viewing time here. Isn't it clear to all that the majority of us watching most want to see the musical numbers? Kill any running "musical theme segments" they've had in the past, straight play readings have rarely worked for me and just give us numbers from all the new musicals from this season that are still running. It's called SHOW BIZ....promote it! The winners will still walk off with their due awards.

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#24re: Final Tony Award Performances Announced
Posted: 5/31/05 at 7:43pm

I'm so glad "Spamalot" went with "Find Your Grail." I really wanted Sara to get up there and sing her self silly, and this was a good choice. Good for them! As for last years numbers, I liked all of them.

-Vincent

Videos