pixeltracker

so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!

so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!

ally_kay_on_broadway Profile Photo
ally_kay_on_broadway
#0so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 5:42pm

ok, theres probably tons of posts about this...but WHY does everyone hate brooklyn?? i've never seen it...i know what its about and have looked at the website and for some reason its like a running joke on these message boards that i have never quite gotten!! Is it because of the songs? fill me in!!

"talent is wanting something hard enough to work for it" - my drama teacher :)

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#1re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 5:45pm

The writing is terrible...the songs don't have any sort of dramatic movement or tension...it's just not a musical.

in my opinion :0)

Just read the nytimes review. And you'll understand.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

ally_kay_on_broadway
#2re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 5:58pm

ok thank you! jeez...i was afraid i was gonna be out of the whole message board here..:P

SallyBrown Profile Photo
SallyBrown
#3re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:01pm

exactly what Pinguin said

sounds more like a theatrical American Idol to me

"It's a great feeling of power to be naked in front of people. We're happy to watch actual incredible graphic violence and gore, but as soon as somebody's naked it seems like the public goes a bit bananas about the whole thing."

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#4re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:05pm

HAHA, an theatrical American Idol with costumes made of trash.

BwayTheatre11
#5re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:06pm

Most of the costumes are overdone, but from a designers point-of-view, Ramona's costumes are very well done.

CCM '10!

emo_geek Profile Photo
emo_geek
#6re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 6:10pm

I think its amazing- Im no broadway know it all, All I know is it touched and inspired me.

"I never had theatre producers run after me. Some people want to make more Broadway shows out of movies. But Elliot and I aren't going to do Batman: The Musical." - Julie Taymor 1999

LaVieBoheme2 Profile Photo
LaVieBoheme2
#7re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 11:02pm

It's okay in my opinion. I think that it has some really talented people, but there is no plot. I think the costumes were clever and really the best thing in the show. I feel bad about all of the crap it get's around here though, it's closing people- you don't need to kick it when it's down, but if that what makes you feel better about yourself than whatever. Elyse. No day but today.

Elyse. No day but Today. My avatar: me talking to Norbert Leo Butz.

kitkatgirl54 Profile Photo
kitkatgirl54
#8re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 11:04pm

there is no theatrical depth whatsoever. in any way. and none of the songs are memorable .. i just kept thinking "ok just sing 'once upon a time' again" and i don't even LIKE that song. but it's tolerable compared to the rest.

RentBoy86
#9re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 11:09pm

I dont understand why its funny that the costumes are made out of trash? It goes along with the whole theme of them being homeless. I mean they're not going to be wearing Gucci suits and dresses up there. I think the idea of the musical was good, just executed poorly. I'm not basing this on any kind of reviews or even seeing the show. I just have the cast album. I read somewhere that a good score has songs that can stand on their own and I think BKLYN's "once up a time" can stand on its own w/o the context of the musical - not saying that the score is in any way amazing, but its okay. I enjoyed parts of it and would love to see it on stange. I hear the costumes are amazing. And me being, 19, I kind of like the whole belting craze that happens in BKYLN. Its nice to hear someone with a powerhouse voice like that. But that's just my opinion. Sorry this is long...geez...

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#10re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 11:21pm

It's not "funny" in itself that the costumes were made of trash, or anything of that sort, nor is people being homeless any kind of them. The fact that they're wearing the trash wasn't the joke.

What you have to understand is that having crazy belting songs, crazy costumes, or anything really is fine if it has PURPOSE and if it becomes something with, as kitkat says, "theatrical depth." I think that "once upon a time" song is an ok song but it has no theatrical depth or movement and to me just doesn't seem to me to work in a musical theatre setting, where the songs are supposed to help move the story.

Now, of course you're allowed to think it's ok, but I'm also allowed to express my distaste.

I'm 19 too.

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#11re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 5/31/05 at 11:31pm

I love Brooklyn.
Brooklyn also got a lot of great fans..
So don't take what everyone says in here too seriously..
Some of them are just sick.. :p

Sarah2
#12re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 6/1/05 at 6:20pm

I'm really sick of all the people on this board talking about how bad brooklyn is. Have any of you actually seen it? I know that the writing isn't the *best* but I still love the show. I personally don't think you should judge a show completely by the cast recording because every show is better live. And I respect your opinion, but it would be cool if you actually formed it yourself and didn't just listen to what reviewers have said...it's a matter of personal taste.

MargoChanning
#13re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 6/1/05 at 6:22pm

I saw it and thought it was terrible.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

kitkatgirl54 Profile Photo
kitkatgirl54
#14re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 6/1/05 at 6:45pm

of course we've actually seen it. otherwise we wouldn't be commenting on it (unless we were liars).

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#15re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 6/1/05 at 6:50pm

I got a copy of the Cast Recording from a friend, and have tried and tried to get past the first few songs but my ears just bleed from bad musiic and screeching singers.

melissa errico fan Profile Photo
melissa errico fan
#16re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 6/1/05 at 6:52pm

The worst show I have seen in 10 years.

ally_kay_on_broadway
#17re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 6/1/05 at 6:57pm

yeek :| i'll keep that in mind when i get to NY (although...from the sounds of it...it'll be closed much much before then :| ) lol

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#18re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 6/1/05 at 7:02pm

Eh, it's an okay show. It's neither good nor bad. It's just okay. I like the high belters too, it doesn't sound like screaming to me. However, one day, if some or any of these people who claim to be such talented people are lucky enough to get into a show, I hope they don't have to read such terrible things by people. Critiquing is one thing, to be flat out rude ,seemingly for no reason, is just...eh, whatever...

-Vincent

RentBoy86
#19re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 6/1/05 at 7:23pm

Like i said earlier, I'm not a fan or a hater. I'm just sort of in the middle ground. I saw Eden on the Today show before I left for Atlanta this past winter and could not get "once upon a time" out of my head, so i went to the Borders in ATL and bought the CD. I'll agree the lyrics suck, but the music I think is really good. I love the song about "santa claus" and its about reindeers and stuff, its like in the first couple of songs, but the lyrics down right suck. The tune/melody of the song is great though and very catchy. I think it needs to be re-worked, then maybe it could get better, with a little more focus.

TimesSquareRegular Profile Photo
TimesSquareRegular
#20re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 6/1/05 at 8:11pm

One of the worst, and an embarrasment to Broadway.

Some over-the-top "can't I belt a song" performers do NOT a musical make.

I have seen literally hundreds of musicals on Broadway, and this is one of the low points.

2016 These Paper Bullets (1/02) Our Mother's Brief Affair (1/06), Dragon Boat Racing (1/08), Howard - reading (1/28), Shear Madness (2/10), Fun Home (2/17), Women Without Men (2/18), Trip Of Love (2/21), The First Gentleman -reading (2/22), Southern Comfort (2/23), The Robber Bridegroom (2/24), She Loves Me (3/11), Shuffle Along (4/12), Shear Madness (4/14), Dear Evan Hansen (4/16), American Psycho (4/23), Tuck Everlasting (5/10), Indian Summer (5/15), Peer Gynt (5/18), Broadway's Rising Stars (7/11), Trip of Love (7/27), CATS (7/31), The Layover (8/17), An Act Of God (8/31), The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time (8/24), Heisenberg (10/12), Fiddler On The Roof (11/02), Othello (11/23), Dear Evan Hansen (11/26), Les Liaisons Dangereuses (12/21) 2017 In Transit (2/01), Groundhog Day (4/04), Ring Twice For Miranda (4/07), Church And State (4/10), The Lucky One (4/19), Ernest Shackleton Loves Me (5/16), Building The Wall (5/19), Indecent (6/01), Six Degrees of Separation (6/09), Marvin's Room (6/28), A Doll's House Pt 2 (7/25) Curvy Widow (8/01)

LucilleAndLeoFrank
#21re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 6/1/05 at 8:21pm

This is the only show that I have ever left. I had the fortune of having an aisle seat in the last row of the orchestra, so the fact that it had no intermission didn't affect me. After a 1/2 hour, I had to get out.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#22re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 6/1/05 at 8:59pm

in simple words its just bad. the show really seems to have no plot and the music isnt impacting and is just bleck and blah.

ReNtHeAd04
#23re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 6/1/05 at 9:43pm

i saw it with a somewhat open mind. My college was running a trip and promoted it very well. My best friend from HOME and I were the only people that signed up for the trip. That wasn't the best sign at first. When i saw it I knew people said it was either really good or really bad. I myself thought it was bad. There were a couple funny parts, and granted, some of the cast has a really amazing voice, I just wasn't that entertained by it. I even took a couple cat naps. My best friend stayed awake and didn't care for it too much either. I don't know. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I won't really miss it.

"maybe our mistakes are what make our fate. Without them, what would shape our lives? Perhaps if we never veered off course, we wouldn't fall in love, or have babies, or be who we are. After all, seasons change. So do cities. People come into your life and people go. But it's comforting to know the ones you love are always in your heart. And if you're very lucky, a plane ride away" -sex and the city

thenextfiyero Profile Photo
thenextfiyero
#24re: so WHAT is the deal with 'brooklyn'? i don't get it!!
Posted: 6/1/05 at 10:30pm

The cast is incredible, the songs are too, costumes creative, and the storyline well its not that good.

Videos