pixeltracker

Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!- Page 2

Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!

Aigoo Profile Photo
Aigoo
#25re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:23pm

She's talented, no doubt.

This is my signature.

#26re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:25pm

I agree that she is talented, but I would probably prefer Idina first, then Stephanie, then Eden. I can't imagine what Eden sang in Brooklyn, doing it every night, but that's just me

JasonM12480
#27re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/12/05 at 10:48pm

I personally think that Eden's voice is a lot richer in quality and tone than Idina's. I like them both - they're both excellent singers and performers. I saw Eden in Brooklyn, and she blew me away, so I can imagine that her Elphaba would be very good. I have heard a few sound clips of her in Wicked, and my jaw dropped.

As for this nonsense about her screaming (and this is where I'm gonna get creamed), the people on this board need to make sure they really understand the mechanics of the human voice and how it works, because frankly - 90% don't know what they're talking about. I have studied voice and taken classes on vocal pedigogy and vocal health - Idina and Eden do not scream - they belt. Eden's "sounds" like screaming due to a different pitch register she has. She obviously knows what she's doing, and can hit the notes - is it exactly good for her voice? Who knows - everyone knows their own instrument - she uses her to its fullest potential. It is not screaming. Please do not say that - it's really quite silly.

Anyway, you'll enjoy Eden. She's marvelous - lucky you for seeing her!

ElphabaRose Profile Photo
ElphabaRose
#28re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/12/05 at 11:04pm

Eden is an amazing performer! As Elphie, she is much closer to Idina than Stephanie but she really makes the role her own. Her voice is beautiful and she has a terrific presence on stage. She is completely worth the 12 hour drive, especially since you already have tickets.

Whatever happened to class?

OrdinaryJukebox1 Profile Photo
OrdinaryJukebox1
#29re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/12/05 at 11:29pm

I can't stand when people who simply don't like the perform start attacking their vocal tech. and ability. I've said it once, I've said it a million times. If they were "screaming," there's NO WAY their voices would hold up as they do. Janis Joplin screamed. It was great for that kind of music, don't get me wrong, but THAT'S screaming...Eden and Idina have high belts...it's a pitch thing.

-Vincent

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#30re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/12/05 at 11:33pm

Eden is excellent as Elphaba.

Tiny-Toon Profile Photo
Tiny-Toon
#31re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/12/05 at 11:45pm

Eden is incredible is Elphaba. I love her so much! Her voice is amazing, "You gotta HEAR it to believe it"

RustyJusty830 Profile Photo
RustyJusty830
#32re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/12/05 at 11:46pm

Eden offered a chilling and moving performance as the girl in green- I bought tickets knowing that she would be performing when I saw her last June- Her vocals soared and her acting was spot on...She took an excellent peformance (by the lovely Idina Menzel) and put her own spin on a variety of acting choices which in my opinion, were fantastic: I'm sure her SF Elphaba will offer a model of commanding power and a unique girl's journey towards an ultimately prevailing woman.

"I need to know that someone out there cares...Are you there?"

almostxfamous Profile Photo
almostxfamous
#33re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/12/05 at 11:48pm

Do you guys have any recordings of her in Wicked that you can link me to? I'd like to hear her.

kombatkoala
#35re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/13/05 at 12:38am

Eden was the first Elphaba I ever saw, and I loved her. She's still no. 1 on my list. You're in good hands. I'm thinking of making the drive up there just to see her as Elphaba again.

jonartdesigns Profile Photo
jonartdesigns
#36re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/13/05 at 1:10am

i'm partial to her "what is this feeling" minimally from the clip i heard she actually did an impression of glinda (at that point cheno) for the "you're voice" line

"Grease," the fourth revival of the season, is the worst show in the history of theater and represents an unparalleled assault on Western civilization and its values. - Michael Reidel

stage_door76 Profile Photo
stage_door76
#37re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/13/05 at 5:03am

eden was a great elphaba. she was certainly very different, especially her vocals - with some slightly odd riffs, scats and slides, but it all fits in with the part of elphaba as far as i'm concerned

she was great, but not the best. i honestly think shoshana is, but that is my opinion. idina will always be the original

"...But Kungurtseva reels off multiple fouettes and the tape is stopped so she can take a bow. The Jester, an abomination introduced to Swan Lake in Soviet times, extorts applause from the audience. The cuts don't help the storytelling, the production is bare bones and they go for the '50s-style happy ending. The audience cheers like mad at the end. It's the Russian ballet, after all..."

bella cantato
#38re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/13/05 at 9:07am

Eden is FAB. Yes she screams in Brooklyn but that's bc she belts like a high G. (haha I know I know... i stole the joke from broadway abridged... so sue me!) but seriously, Wicked doesn't require her to go as high so she doesn't scream and she sounds GREAT. she does a different take on the ending of DG and it gives me chills.

every time she took over for Idina, she brought down the house and completely stole the audience. she won't disappoint. don't worry. go see it-- you *will* LOVE her.

"You know, a little orphan girl once told me that the sun would come out tomorrow. Her adopted father was a powerful billionaire, so I supressed the urge to laugh in her face. But now, by gum, I think she might have been on to something!" --Reefer Madness

#39re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/13/05 at 9:20am

Mad4, I have to agree with Shines---I first saw Eden as Elphie and was initially disappointed I wasn't going to see Idina. However, her performance was amazing and she received a standing ovation a few times thro-out the night. I later saw Idina and loved her too but Eden really stood out IMO. I also saw her in Brooklyn---(I have to admit I personally loved Ramona Keller's performance a bit more, but it was more the songs and character, I think). All in all----ENJOY Eden---You will definitely will glad you saw her. Please write after you see it!

whiskedaway Profile Photo
whiskedaway
#40re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/13/05 at 11:18am

"i'm partial to her "what is this feeling" minimally from the clip i heard she actually did an impression of glinda (at that point cheno) for the "you're voice" line"

Stephanie did that both times i saw her.

PJ
#41re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/13/05 at 12:36pm

Shoshana does it as well.

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
mule
#43re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/13/05 at 4:44pm

I heard the Brooklyn cast recording and was disappointed but when I saw the play live, I was amazed at her voice.

In other words, I truly believe she comes across live very well.

You should go and let us know how she was.

TheBalladeer Profile Photo
TheBalladeer
#44re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/13/05 at 6:06pm

Eden is FANTASTIC!!!

Her "Wizard and I" is so well acted and sung, I got chills when I saw her do it. I really felt like jumping up on stage and getting excited with her as she dreamt of meeting the Wizard. That is how engaging she was. Terrific! And her singing was just unreal. The girl can SING. I didn't enjoy Brooklyn too much, but I LOVED what she did with Wicked as Elphaba. I hope she comes back and does it on Broadway, because I actually preferred her over Idina BIG time! (Although Idina was VERY good)

Cheers,

The Balladeer

"Someone tell the story...Someone sing the song...."

Pinguin Profile Photo
Pinguin
#45re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/13/05 at 7:19pm

Eh...I've heard some of her Wicked clips which were ok. The only time I've seen her is when she was singing Once Upon A Time on TV...and she was quite annoying, and she looked like she was going to explode. But maybe she's ok in Wicked, I don't know.

-Anyone want to turn anarchist with me?

"Bless you and all who know you, oh wise and penguined one." ~YouWantItWhen????

Sarah2
#46re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/13/05 at 8:37pm

Pinguin, you should listen to more from Eden and then you could get a better idea of what she is like as a singer. She's an incredible performer. Theballadeer, I'm glad you enjoyed Eden's performance so much...I really wish I could see her in the role.

Thenardier Profile Photo
Thenardier
#47re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/13/05 at 8:44pm

Saw her live in BKLYN, heard clips of her in Wicked, and the BKLYN CD....I got a headache.

She just doesn't shine off the stage...well, shine past Ramona....

broadwaystar2b Profile Photo
broadwaystar2b
#48re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/13/05 at 8:47pm

She's my favourite Elphaba, I saw her first night on and she was phenomenal

SuddenlyTrey Profile Photo
SuddenlyTrey
#49re: Opinions on Eden Espinosa as Elphaba! plz!
Posted: 7/29/05 at 2:19am

umm...She is amazing. There are several sound clips floating around of her singing all the songs in Wicked if you search on Ares, or Morpheus, or BearShare. She is much better than Idina, she has more control.

"Jaime's convienced that the problems are mine. Jaime is probably doing just fine. And I'm still hurting."