pixeltracker

Gonna be a "quiet" Tony season, huh?

Gonna be a "quiet" Tony season, huh?

jasobres
#0Gonna be a "quiet" Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 10:41am

There's very few good original musicals out and not much buzz about revivals. So what do you think is the likely winner for Best Musical? I can automatically judge that Sweeney will win Best Revival.

"Ev'ry-buddy wants ta get into de act!" - Jimmy Durante "Breathe from your hoo-hoo." -Kristin Chenoweth

DamnYankees101
#1re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 10:43am

Yes I think that's a guarantee if not almost. It's funny, but this time last year people were having huge debates about the upcoming Tonys..it has been rather quieter...

To clarify what I just said as some people were asking me, I wasn't actually posting this time last year, just looking.
Updated On: 12/2/05 at 10:43 AM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#2re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 10:50am

Unless Three Penny Opera is some kind of amazing, out of this world, production, I think Sweeney has it in the bag.

As for best musical, one of the critics (I think it was Brantley) mentioned in their Color Purple review that its chief competition come awards season would be The Woman in White. I found that statement interesting, considering the very mixed reception WiW got (though I very much enjoyed it). I think Jersey Boys is a contender, and probably Tarzan. There's also The Wedding Singer and Lestat to remember.

It's possible that Tarzan could (pardon the pun) swoop in this spring and take that award. It will be the last show to open, and if voters are dazzled by the flying (and the score isn't so bad either), it could take the prize.

It's still very early though.
Updated On: 12/2/05 at 10:50 AM

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#3re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 10:59am

IF they can secure a Broadway theatre in time for the cut-off date (in April?)... And that's a big IF...

...the Tony season will likely end rather drowsily...

...with a Chaperone sweep.

But I'm not sure when this "eagle" will land as of yet.

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

Carl Magnum Profile Photo
Carl Magnum
#4re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 11:00am

Just remember though, TARZAN already has one strike against it....Phil Collins.

I got rid of my teeth at a young age because... I'm straight. Teeth are for gay people. That's why fairies come and get them

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#5re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 11:02am

aww i'm really excited for tarzan.

MTVMANN Profile Photo
MTVMANN
#6re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 12:23pm

Well the best actress category looks to be exciting to say the least.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#7re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 12:28pm

Really? You think so? From what I understand, we have the original musicals:

The Color Purple
Lestat
Tarzan
The Woman In White
Jersey Boys
In My Life
Ring of Fire
Lennon

Specials:
Chita Rivera: A Dancer's Life
Martin Short's Oen Man Show
Peter Pan
The Blonde In The Thunderbird

Revivals (musicals):
The Pajama Game
Sweeney Todd
Company?

Plays (originals and revivals):
A Naked Girl on the Appian Way
A Touch of the Poet
Absurd Person Singular
Latinologues
Seascape
The Odd Couple
Souvenior
Barefoot in the Park
The History Boys

Plus other musicals trying to get in before April

I'd say this has been a very nice season so far. No, there hasn't been one or two STAND OUT shows yet, but we have months to go. (Unless you want to count Color Purple as Stand Out)

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#8re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 12:52pm

Maybe they could revive STARMITES.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

MargoChanning
#9re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 12:57pm

Isn't Peter Pan playing at MSG? If so, it's not Broadway and not Tony eligible.

Isn't TALE OF TWO CITIES still slated for this season?

LATINOLOGUES is probably a Special Event, not a Play.

Jay Johnson's THE TWO AND ONLY and Sarah Jones' BRIDGE & TUNNEL will both play the Helen Hayes and be eligible for Special Event.

Also for Plays, there's WELL, SHINING CITY, RABBIT HOLE, FESTEN, THREE DAYS OF RAIN (with Julia Roberts) and AWAKE AND SING!.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney
Updated On: 12/2/05 at 12:57 PM

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#10re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 1:00pm

For original plays, you also have/had:

Festen
Shining City
Well
The Two and Only (perhaps a Special Event?)
Bridge and Tunnel
Primo (closed)
After the Night and the Music (closed)

Play revivals:
Awake and Sing
Faith Healer
Three Days of Rain

Musical Revival:
Threepenny Opera

New Musicals
Hot Feet
Drowsy Chaperone (if it makes it in time)

All in all, it's going to be a very abundant season, and an interesting Tony field by the time we get to May.

Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

son_of_a_gunn_25 Profile Photo
son_of_a_gunn_25
#11re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 1:48pm

"Isn't TALE OF TWO CITIES still slated for this season?"

Nope it has been pushed back to the fall. They haven't even announced the creative team yet. I think there is supposed to be some sort of update soon about the show but don't quote me on that. I could be wrong. I wish Playbill and everyone would update their "Ucoming Shows" page so it doesn't confuse everyone.

My avatar is a reminder to myself. I need lots of reminders...

bjivie2 Profile Photo
bjivie2
#12re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 2:01pm

Where did COMPANY come from? I had no idea there was a revival planned. The same guy that did Sweeney is doing a regional production with Raul Esparza. Is that what you're thinking about?

Eeeeeeyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaannnnnddddd aaaaaaaiiiiiiiiyyyyyyaaaaaammmmmmmm teeeeeeeelllllliiiiiinnngg yyyyooooooouuuuuuuwwwaaaahh...

MargoChanning
#13re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 2:23pm

If the Doyle COMPANY ends up coming to Broadway, it won't be until next season. The Cincinnati Playhouse production runs through April 14th so there simply wouldn't be enough time to transfer it by the Tony deadline on May 10th.

"What a story........ everything but the bloodhounds snappin' at her rear end." -- Birdie [http://margochanning.broadwayworld.com/] "The Devil Be Hittin' Me" -- Whitney

MargoChanning
#14re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 2:23pm

Updated On: 12/2/05 at 02:23 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#15re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 3:13pm

Ah, DUH! Nope, PETER PAN isn't eligible. It's at the Theater at MSG.

COMPANY is Bway bound, but true, it probably won't make the deadline.

And what about PRINCESSES? When is that supposed to transfer to NY?

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#16re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 3:18pm

"COMPANY is Bway bound, but true, it probably won't make the deadline."

As much as I would love to see this happen, I have only heard vague rumors about it. It just seems odd that a producer would be itching to rush a second Doyle-Sondheim show in, before we even see how well SWEENEY holds.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

Plum
#17re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 3:22pm

Last season was more exciting than this one from my point of view, and the season before even moreso, despite being more inconsistent. But maybe that's because I haven't been in the States.

mikem Profile Photo
mikem
#18re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 3:36pm

"As for best musical, one of the critics (I think it was Brantley) mentioned in their Color Purple review that its chief competition come awards season would be The Woman in White."

I think Brantley was referring to the fall season, not the 2005-2006 season. And in the fall season, The Color Purple and The Woman in White were the two "big" new musicals with original scores, which I think is why he was comparing them. Brantley didn't really like either of them (or Jersey Boys or In My Life or Lennon, for that matter).

"What was the name of that cheese that I like?" "you can't run away forever...but there's nothing wrong with getting a good head start" "well I hope and I pray, that maybe someday, you'll walk in the room with my heart"

smartpenguin78 Profile Photo
smartpenguin78
#19re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 3:38pm

I have no idea how the buzz was on the boards last year, but in the "real world" of a theatre fan who didn't really know the best way to get info, there was very little buzz in the fall. DRACULA, BROOKLYN and the FROGS just didn't have IT. By February it became very, big especially for SPAMALOT... of course soon after that I found this site and my life as real person was ruined.

I stand corrected, you are as vapid as they say.

Phantom05 Profile Photo
Phantom05
#20re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 4:05pm

I believe that LESTAT is still a part of this season, and from what I have heard quite wonderful. If it is a part of the 2006 Tony season, then the top contenders will most likely be...The Color Purple, Woman In White, and Lestat...And whatever else may appear, lol.

See Ya!

Phantom05

------- "We Drink Your Blood And Then We Eat Your Soul, Nothings Gonna Stop Us Let The Bad Times Roll" -------"Past The Point Of No Return, No Backward Glances, Abandon Thought And Let The Dream Begin"

apdarcey
#21re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 4:23pm

i think lestat is going to do it. i think color purple, woman in white and lestat will be heavy competing. and if drowsy chaperone makes it in time, that will just heighten the competition. and mikem, if you read brantley's review he really did like color purple, gave it a mixed to positive review. he just wished it would slow down a little so he could take time to enjoy it even more.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#22re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 4:45pm

Jersey Boys got better reviews than either Color Purple or Woman in White, and I'd expect it to be one of the four Best Musical candidates.

apdarcey
#23re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 4:53pm

reviews don't determine nominations (the boy from oz had a best book nomination). i wouldn't hold hope for a jukebox to be nominated for best musical, but then again, maybe this is the year.

Smaxie Profile Photo
Smaxie
#24re: Gonna be a 'quiet' Tony season, huh?
Posted: 12/2/05 at 4:57pm

Oh, I would. And I'd also bet to see Tarzan in the final four before Lestat.

Videos