Amy Spanger On Leave

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#0Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:01pm

A friend of mine saw "The Wedding Singer" today and Amy Spanger was out.

He was told by the merchandising people at the theater that Amy blew her voice out at yesterday's matinee and will be out of the show for the next week. She is scheduled to return next Tuesday, but they said she could return earlier if she feels up to it.

Just wanted to give everyone the heads up!

EDIT: I just spoke to my friend again. He said Laura Benanti said at the stage door that when Amy does return, she is probably only going to be doing half her shows or at least a minimialized amount (like Norbert did in DRS after his node problems) until she feels back up to snuff, since she has been having alot of vocal problems as of late.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.
Updated On: 6/29/06 at 10:01 PM

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#1re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:02pm

Poor Amy. re: Amy Spanger On Leave

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#2re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:03pm

Can't say that I love her as a performer, but it's an unfortunate thing to happen. Hopefully she'll feel better soon.

ILoveWicked330
#3re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:04pm

NO!!! I'm seeing the show Wednesday and was actually REALLY excited to see Amy (she really steals the show!). Oh well! Now I'm bummed out...but I'm sure Cara is great

ZONEACE
#4re: Amy Spanger On Leave

aww, thats too bad, she was (along with Laura) was one of the few highlights of that show.

when ducks grow thumbs then maybe my opinion will change.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#5re: Amy Spanger On Leave

aww, that's sad. re: Amy Spanger On Leave I hope she's well soon.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#6re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:05pm

So I guess I'm not seeing the show this Wednesday anymore. I hope she gets better soon.

kyguy78 Profile Photo
kyguy78
#7re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:09pm

I saw Cara when Amy was out during the previews back in April and she did a very solid job.

Bohemian1232 Profile Photo
Bohemian1232
#8re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:09pm

I hope that she gets better soon. re: Amy Spanger On Leave

"Nothing's lost forever. In this world, there is a kind of painful progress. Longing for what we've left behind, and dreaming ahead."

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#9re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:10pm

Call Carol Channing
She never Missed.
Ahhh The Good old Days!

Get Better Soon!

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#10re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:11pm

I hope she gets rest and starts feeling better! It is terrible to blow your voice! Best wishes to amy! I saw her saturday and I could tell she was feeling sick.

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

broadwaybelter Profile Photo
broadwaybelter
#11re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:25pm

wow isn't this the second time she blew her voice? thats not good. Hope she feels better

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#12re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:28pm

Didn't the first time her and Laura have strep?

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#13re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:33pm

awwwww, i hope she feels better soon. she was one of the only good things about this show!

somethingwicked Profile Photo
somethingwicked
#14re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:37pm

I think she had bronchitus during her previous string of absences.

Tonya Pinkins: Then we had a "Lot's Wife" last June that was my personal favorite. I'm still trying to get them to let me sing it at some performance where we get to sing an excerpt that's gone.
Tony Kushner: You can sing it at my funeral.

Joshua488
#15re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 10:38pm

Get her back to Liz Caplan ASAP!

pippin2 Profile Photo
pippin2
#16re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:03pm

I was at the matinee and the poor thing could barely get some of her lines out. Bless her heart though, she plowed through and you could see that she was doing the best that she could. She quite surprisingly hit that last note in "Right In Front Of Your Eyes" and the audience really went wild for her. Hope she takes the time to get the rest she needs. I noticed even more on this my third time seeing it how exhausting this show must be for both the principles and the ensemble.

All_For_Laura Profile Photo
All_For_Laura
#17re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:12pm

Pippin, you were at the matinee on saturday as well? It seems we were all there!

...What happened next, was stranger still, a woman breathless and afraid, appeared out of the night, completely dressed in white. She had a secret she would tell, of one who had mistreated her. Her face and frightened gaze, my mind cannot erase...But then she ran from view. She looked so much like you...

iluvtheatertrash
#18re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:12pm

CurtainPullDowner, shame on you for saying that about absences. Amy pushed through that performance like such a trooper yesterday that I was in complete awe of her. It's a wonder she was able to sing the final note of her big number. After talking to Amy about it after the show, it seems like going on leave for a bit is a smart move before she ruins her voice completely.

Cara is competent enough to take over. (More than competent. Her performance was absolutely phenomenal last night. Go and see her while you can, guys!)

Amy, get better soon. You know I love ya!

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

snl89
#19re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:30pm

the poor girl re: Amy Spanger On Leave I hope she gets better really soon, and I really really REALLY hope her voice hasn't been damaged permanently or anything like that. God, that would be suuuuuch an incredible shame. But- thats getting really pesimistic- so I'll just say get better soooon amy!! seriously, she needs to get bettter within the next two weeks 'cause I'm going to see it on july 9th, and she needs to be thereeee! lol

I don't need a life that's normal. That's way too far away. But something next to normal would be okay. Something next to normal is what I'd like to try. Close enough to normal to get by.

FeelingElectric
#20re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/25/06 at 11:54pm

snl89, I love your avatar. I am sorry to hear this. I hope Amy gets well soon. Even though I wasn't going to see The Wedding Singer this week, I was going to stop by and see Amy before I saw Madonna Thursday night at MSG. I guess this will save me a few blocks walk. Hopefully, everything will be back to normal by September when I plan to see the show again.

Drench yourself in words unspoken. Live your life with arms wide open. Today is where your book begins. The rest is still unwritten. "Unwritten" Natasha Bedingfield
Updated On: 6/26/06 at 11:54 PM

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#21re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/26/06 at 12:19am

Why "Shame on me"?
I remember when a Broadway Performer never missed a show
They took care of their voices and themselves.
I know they are Human
but missing in the first six months was un heard of
Merman was written some impossible scores
and She hardly "Blew out" her Voice
Amy is a Wonderful Singer/Dancer/Actress
But "blowing out her voice" in such a part
is confusing to me.
I Hope She gets better and gets back on the Stage.

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#22re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/26/06 at 12:25am

I love how Channing says she lost her voice early into Dolly but never missed a show!! What a wonderful woman!

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#23re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/26/06 at 12:28am

"So I guess I'm not seeing the show this Wednesday anymore. I hope she gets better soon."

Aw, don't let that stop you from seeing the show. It was fun! If you're gonna do student rush, you should go anyway since tickets are cheap, then go when Amy comes back if you really want to see her.

"but missing in the first six months was un heard of..."

Well, if you know that they're human, you should understand that people get sick and have health problems beyond their control, even if they take care of themselves as best they can.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#24re: Amy Spanger On Leave
Posted: 6/26/06 at 12:45am

Well, Carol Channing didn't have to sing the notes that Spanger sings or dance the way that Spanger does. I'm not saying Spanger is a better performer than Channing, but you have to put it in perspective.
Updated On: 6/26/06 at 12:45 AM