Movin Out

Theatreboy49 Profile Photo
Theatreboy49
#0Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 12:34am

So I saw the tour today and I want to know how the hell this opened on broadway! This is the worst show I have ever seen. though yes i do apreciate the talent the cast puts in but the show is so bad. The choreogrpahy repeats it self alot and the story is almost impossible to understand. And how did two actors get tony nomiantions? They dont do any more than anyone else in this show! It is horrendous and has made me hate jukebox musicals (if u can even say this is a musicals) even more.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

hermionejuliet Profile Photo
hermionejuliet
#1re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 12:38am

Wow! I'm glad I didn't see the tour last summer!

So, that was the Drowsy Chaperone. Oh, I love it so much. I know it's not a perfect show...but it does what a musical is supposed to do. It takes you to another world, and it gives you a little tune to carry with you in your head for when you're feeling blue. Ya know?

timote316
#2re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 12:38am

If you couldn't understand the plot, you really weren't paying attention.

muscle23ftl Profile Photo
muscle23ftl
#3re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 12:39am

I agree 100% the worst musical i have ever seen in my life. Well...it is not a musical. Not all the jukebox musicals are as bad though. Well...again if we can call this a musical. I did understand the plot completely. I saw this show on Broadway.

"People have their opinions and that doesn't mean that their opinions are wrong or right. I just take it with a grain of salt because opinions are like as*holes, everyone has one". -Felicia Finley-
Updated On: 6/30/06 at 12:39 AM

Theatreboy49
#4re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:21pm

well once i read the synopsis it made a tad bit of sense but all in all just terrible.

<------ Me and my friends with patti Lupone at my friends afterparty for her concert with audra mcdonald during the summer of 2007.
"I am sorry but it is an unjust world and virtue is only triumphant in theatricle performances" The Mikado

vmlinnie
#5re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:29pm

I love Joel's music but didn't go to the brief run in London because I didn't think I would like the show.

The rain we knew is a thing of the past -
deep-delving, dark, deliberate you would say
browsing on spire and bogland; but today
our sky-blue slates are steaming in the sun,
our yachts tinkling and dancing in the bay
like racehorses. We contemplate at last
shining windows, a future forbidden to no one.

Derek Mahon

"Maybe all one can do is hope to end up with the right regrets."

Arthur Miller

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#6re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:31pm

I do not understand how people could think this show is terrible.

It is very possible that you saw a watered down, 4th rate tour - but when I saw it on Broadway with the original cast, it was one of the most electric, emotionally charged, fun, moving evenings in the theatre that I had had in a long time.

The artistry and professionalism on that stage was almost obscene. Michael Cavanaugh sounded better than Billy Joel. The new orchestrations were fantastic and a huge improvement on the originals. The story line was engaging, thought provoking, touching, and inspiring. The choreography was - while obviously not for everyone - damn good.

Even in it's final weeks on Broadway, MOVIN' OUT was still in top form and still insanely enjoyable.

What is the point of saying "It's not a musical!" It doesn't matter. The Tony Committee obviously deemed it a musical - and whether or not you believe it was - it is undeniable that it was great. Regardless of it's genre.

I cannot believe that someone would say that it's a terrible show - it's one of the best things to open so far this decade.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#7re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:34pm

"If you couldn't understand the plot, you really weren't paying attention."

The plot is very clear and very prevalent. IMO, the show was fantastic, I really enjoyed it. The dancing was amazing!

The show emits so much energy and left the audience smiling every night it played on Broadway.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

Theatreboy49
#8re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:43pm

the choreography was too repatitive they jump they spin repeat. it was terrible stay away form this tour and show in gerneral.

munkustrap178
#9re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:46pm

If that's the way you feel, my friend - then it just shows that you have absolutely no grasp on what makes choreography good - especially when it told the story.

There was no dialogue in MOVIN' OUT - yet you knew what each and every character thought about the other one. The dialogue was brilliantly and effectively told SOLEY through dance.

Unanimously praised by the critics - and obviously the Tonys - Twyla Tharp's choreography was stunning.

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#10re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:46pm

The tour must be a totally different show because the dancing was not repetetive or simple steps at all.

And if the steps were those three moves, it doens't matter because a story and many emotions were conveyed to the audience and that's what theatre is all about.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird
Updated On: 6/30/06 at 01:46 PM

munkustrap178
#11re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:48pm

The tour may not be as good as it was on Broadway - that is possible - but I'm certain that the choreography must be the same.

Theatreboy49
#12re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 1:50pm

im sure it is the same and it had the original tony and brenda.

Lavieboheme3090 Profile Photo
Lavieboheme3090
#13re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 2:05pm

I remember going to see Movin Out a few years ago not knowing what to expect and just being blown out of the water. I was in the back of the balcony and was still just as touched by every movement that the dancers made. The dancer didn’t have to say a word and they still told a touching and meaningful story. Amazing hands down the best dancing I have ever seen on Broadway.

Robos89
#14re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 2:11pm

I saw the tour when it came down to Miami. HOLY ****...it was amazing. Just amazing. I loved it...the choreography didn't seem to repeat itself. It was actually look hard. The story was also easy to follow. I loved it, what a great show!

?

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#15re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 2:16pm

I liked Movin' Out. Definitely not the best show I've seen, and I probably wouldn't have seen it again if I had the chance. The choreography was really good, but it was repetative in some parts. The guy who sang was extremely talented, as was all the dancers.

AnotherDay46 Profile Photo
AnotherDay46
#16re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 2:19pm

I loved it as well. A woman behind me on the otherhand was complaining the whole time saying, "I could watch my kids dance to Billy Joel at home."

I thought the story was great and everything was choreographed *very* nicely. Though it's not a show I would see over and over, it was a great show to see once.

Mr. Peanut Man
#17re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 2:20pm

I don't know what other people are talking about, but Movin' Out was an amazing night at the theater. I thought the dancing was incredibly done and the band led by Michael Cavanaugh was electric. I saw this show with a few friends who were dancers and they cried in happiness over the talent and stage presence of the cast. I saw the show with 3 of the four leads replaced by understudies but you wouldn't have known by the way they danced the hell out of their roles. I found myself watching Michael Cavanaugh in sheer amazement of his talent. It's sad that this show had to leave Broadway and be replaced by Tarzan.

chinkie azn jai Profile Photo
chinkie azn jai
#18re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 2:28pm

Im seeing the tour tomorrow afternoon. I cant wait!!!!

"Chicago is it's own incredible theater town right there smack down in the middle of the heartland. What a great city! I can see why Oprah likes to live there!" - Dee Hoty :-D

timote316
#19re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 2:33pm

I agree whole heartedly with Munk.

And if the tour isnt as good as Broadway, I can't imagine how good the Broadway production was - the tour is, in a word, incredible.

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#20re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 2:47pm

MOVIN' OUT is/was one of my very favorite musicals. I saw it 5 times.

The music is classic, the choreography is Twyla Tharp so 'nuff said and the plot is very obvious if you are paying attention.

An exciting, innovative, wonderful night on Broadway! re: Movin Out

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

rosem7391 Profile Photo
rosem7391
#21re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 6:47pm

I don't see how the plot was difficult to follow at all. I never even read the synopsis.

It was fabulous, really, the cast is just so talented. I loved it.

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#22re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 6:52pm

Another fan here. How could they close it and put up Tarzan?

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#23re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 7:27pm

When Twyla "did" Twyla the show was intriguing. When she "showed off" how she could use other choreographic styles it got VERY boring. I kinda think it was those shots of originality that won the Tony. The "story" was as wisp thin as they come but hell so are most ballets!

BroadwayBound5 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound5
#24re: Movin Out
Posted: 6/30/06 at 7:31pm

Man, you've really got some nerve to knock a show such as Movin' Out. From many of your past comments Theatreboy, I've noticed that the majority of your remarks are negative anyway. This still does not permit you to continually tell people to "not see the show." If you appreciate great choreography and dance, amazing singing, and a great all around show, Movin' Out is a great show for you. However, if you would like to get Mr. Negative's opinion, i'm sure he will be more than willing to bring you to something exquisite.

Videos