pixeltracker

Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!

Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!

thevolleyballer
#0Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 2:57am

I just had to say it. I just got back from seeing the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels tour at the Pantages here in Los Angeles, and this is the first time I've seen him live in person. The man is amazing. Just utterly, utterly amazing.

I saw the show in NYC only a few weeks ago, with Timothy J. Alex as Freddy, and it was nothing compared to the all-star, stellar, phenomenal performance that Norbert gives. His ad-libbing and improv are amazing, and have clearly improved with time. He's just FANTASTIC. I honestly can't say enough. The man's my idol, and he's now just got my support even more.

A couple keys were lowered throughout some of his songs, but he really sold it during "Love is My Legs" tonight. Just astounding.

And yes, say, "We don't need another thread on this," but honestly, I don't care. This is the first time I've seen an idol... I'm going to make the most of it. :) (SirLiir, feel free to chime in on the love.)

Anyway, the rest of the show was good. Tom Hewitt is better than both Pryce and Lithgow, in my opinion, but Laura Marie Duncan is no Sherie. And I miss Greg. Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive! Still, amazing cast and show.

I love Norbert Leo Butz. Strictly, straightly, platonically, I love him.

(And by the way... his performance made me go back to my old avatar. Yes.)
Updated On: 8/26/06 at 02:57 AM

Pinky Profile Photo
Pinky
#1re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:03am

I'm so glad you got to see him as Freddy!!!!! It's an AMAZING experience.

Penn State Forever!!!!

iwearshoes Profile Photo
iwearshoes
#2re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:21am

I will be there tomorrow so glad to hear the good news!!

DezBryner
#3re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:47am

Have a great time!! You're gonna love it!!

Aqualline2 Profile Photo
Aqualline2
#4re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 4:13am

I think I just migh tbe turning green with envy... *checks* yup, there is definate green-age there

Hairspraydoll Profile Photo
Hairspraydoll
#5re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 4:25am

I pretty much completely agree with you and felt the exact same way. I saw him in NY and he was good, but he is brilliant on the tour!

Same with the cast. Same exact sentiments!

Be the change you want in the world....

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#6re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 9:31am

So glad that you got to see such an incredible performance! Glad to hear that he's still fantastic (if not, better)!

SirLiir Profile Photo
SirLiir
#7re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 11:54am

You didn't like Laura ; ; Nooooooooooooo...

Anyway, Glad you enjoyed the show and Norbert! It is great to see Norbert is still wowing them as Freddy. How he continues to make that role so endearing night after night is certainly a credit to his abilities.
Updated On: 8/26/06 at 11:54 AM

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#8re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 12:06pm

So, now I am even more pissed that we got an U/S wed night.

Alas.

The U/S did quite a good impression of Norbert doing Freddie though.

JamesMacon Profile Photo
JamesMacon
#9re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 12:23pm

Glad you had fun. He rocks my world!

EponineAmneris Profile Photo
EponineAmneris
#10re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 1:11pm

He is quite a performer- especially in this role. I had one of the best nights of my life when I saw the OBC on Broadway re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!

"TO LOVE ANOTHER PERSON IS TO SEE THE FACE OF GOD"- LES MISERABLES--- "THERE'S A SPECIAL KIND OF PEOPLE KNOWN AS SHOW PEOPLE... WE'RE BORN EVERY NIGHT AT HALF HOUR CALL!"--- CURTAINS

broadwayjavajunkie
#11re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 1:36pm

"The U/S did quite a good impression of Norbert doing Freddie though."

That's good to know. With my luck, I'm going to get an understudy....after two years of Norbert love...*sigh*

I'm glad he's still so good!

"Shut up! Are you a communist?"

Alejandra925 Profile Photo
Alejandra925
#12re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 1:41pm

God, I wish he was coming to my stop on the tour. I love these reviews though!

thevolleyballer
#13re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 2:06pm

"You didn't like Laura ; ; Nooooooooooooo..."

I actually loved her voice, but as I said, she's no Sherie -- she just didn't have the same power in those high notes. Her reactions were also somewhat delayed at times, BUT she did fantastic in the scene where she reveals to Lawrence that she is, in fact, poor (bitch, please). I actually felt that she was a somewhat stronger actress than Sherie, but less of a singer. Still, she was great. :)

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#14re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:10pm

I'm glad Tom was good.

The understudy you saw ws Tim Gulan, right? He replaces Norbert by the time it gets to me, was he good?

broadwayxminixidina Profile Photo
broadwayxminixidina
#15re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:28pm

My father HATES gonig ot see movie / plays/ musicals and he absolutely ADORES Norbert, now. He is very excited to see Norbert again. Norbert's improv is amazing, and I love him very very much.

Glad you noticed his great improv! I made a comment at hte Pantages along the lines of "Norbert is amazing at improv. The way he spit the nougat in Tom's hand, and then slapped his butt. Genius." And at least ten people behind / in front of me asked what improv was. I nearly died.

Norbert and Tom got a standing O after "Dirty Rotten Number". Laura looked like she was having fun, and I enjoyed her, though you are correct. She is NO Sherie.

"Broadway is a very special place, filled with very special people, people who can sing and dance, often at the same time! They are a different people, a multi-talented people, a people...who need people...and who are, in many ways, the luckiest people in...the world." --Spamalot
<^>BROADWAY is LOVE<^>
<^>RENT is LOVE<^>
<^>WICKED is LOVE<^>
<< Me and Norbie. I look icky becuase I was FREAAAAKKKIIINNNGG out.

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#16re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:31pm

Yep....go ahead and rub it in....I missed Norbert too last Wednesday. The u/s was good, so the rest of the tour will be in good hands. I liked Laura-she played the character more innocent and sweet than Sherie, and I loved her character change in the end...but I loved Sherie in this part. I wish Greg were touring.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#17re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:34pm

...and a hottie too.

Janelle188
#18re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 3:38pm

My biggest fear is that I'm going to get an understudy! :) ?I mean, normally, I don't care. I've seen understudies at many different shows and they're always very good, but I specifically bought my tickets because I want to see Norbert. I live in Northern California and am going to drive down to SoCal for the weekend just to see Norbert. I would have waited for the show to come to San Francisco just to see the show itself, but I wanted to see Norbert. So, I bought the tickets, booked the hotel and set aside the gas money. . . now I'm terrified of that little slip of paper falling out of my playbill. :) So, I was wondering, has anybody seen the Saturday evening performances? Does Norbert usually do those performances?

2 weeks! I can't wait!

Janelle

thevolleyballer
#19re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 4:33pm

Err... I don't know what to say, exactly, Janelle, but tomorrow's matinee is the last show here in Los Angeles at the Pantages, and the last stop for Norbert, I believe. It's a limited run that ends tomorrow here.

EDIT: Unless you're going to Costa Mesa, in which case, I don't think Norbert's going to be there.

DOUBLE EDIT: Totally kidding. He's doing Costa Mesa, and now it sounds like I just wanted to ruin the fun. Haha, enjoy seeing him! Updated On: 8/26/06 at 04:33 PM

WickedOne2 Profile Photo
WickedOne2
#20re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 4:43pm

I had the pleasure of seeing DRS 2 weeks after it opened on broadway and have to say NLB had me laughing so hard my side hurt

"I wish the stage were as narrow as the wire of a tightrope dancer, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it." Goethe

Janelle188
#21re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 4:44pm

LOL. . . yeah, I'm going to Costa Mesa. Sept. 9, evening. . .my friend and I are leaving earlier that morning and driving down. We both adore Norbert. . . can't wait. I'm just so nervous about the u/s thing.

defygravity2 Profile Photo
defygravity2
#22re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 11:14pm

I know exactly how you feel! I brought 5 friends up to LA with me, and we missed Norbert. I live 25 min from the OCPAC, and am dying to try to see him again. (I saw DRS in NY too.) My husband doesn't 'get it' and complains about how much I spend on theater tickets to see the same show more than once. I then inquire exactly how much his weekly golf games cost....this usually shuts him up! re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!

I will stay away on Sept. 2-4th...just in case NLB decides to fly back to NY to see the show close. I wish you good luck on seeing Norbert on September 9th!

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#23re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 11:20pm

HUrray for Norb! Glad he his taking his phenominal talent on the road so others can learn and spread the love.
Wonder if he would come back for the closing or if it all "done" for him anyways?

Queenie Was A Blonde Profile Photo
Queenie Was A Blonde
#24re: Norbert Leo Butz is the most fantastic man alive!
Posted: 8/26/06 at 11:23pm

I am glad you got to see him, You are very lucky. He is unbelieveably beyond amazing.

"Dont look at me that way Your ears and your eyes Got used to the lies But you're getting the truth today"

"Ah the city. So many lights you can actually pretend one of them is shining on you."

CLIFF: "There was a cabaret and there was a master of ceremonies and there was a city called Berlin in a country called Germany - and it was the end of the world and I was dancing with Sally Bowles - and we were both fast asleep"

Videos