pixeltracker

Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled- Page 4

Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#75re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 7/20/07 at 5:22pm

More "Ohmigod You Guys" lyrics! Oy, I love this cast, but diction, please...

Real lyric:
"Mad props! He's the campus catch!"
I heard:
"Not Brock, he's the campus catch!"

Real lyrics:
"Four karats, a princess cut, are you psyched or what?"
I heard:
"Four karats for Princess Tut" (I would think that references to Egyptian royalty would be beyond Pilar's capabilities, but anything's posibly...)

Real lyrics:
"Lose the gum, Kate, you look like the maid!"
I heard:
"Use the good cape, don't look like the maid."

Either I have really bad ears, or else nobody in this show has learned the basic principles of enunciation.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#76re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 7/20/07 at 5:33pm

I always was scratching my head in puzzlement at the Line:
"and the world won't buy an Edie stamp" from The Cake I Had from Grey Gardens. That is until I read the lyrics which are "And the world waltzed by while Edie sat."

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

broadwaydestined Profile Photo
broadwaydestined
#77re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 7/20/07 at 6:32pm

I remeber when i was younger i was always confused by all that jazz.
I don't really remeber how i heard it, but it was in the "show her were to park her girdle, oh her motherss blood will currdle."

I heard it as udder nonsense.
I probably still have it wrong....

I also knew none of the actual words of hello dolly until i was thwelse, because whenever my dad is doing a show, he tends to turn songs into thing about gloves.

I always thought they were the real lyrics.

Life is a tragedy when seen in close-up, but a comedy in long shot.

#78re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 7/20/07 at 7:58pm

Omigod in Legally Blonde. When Elle says "...it's totally proposal eyes" I kept thinking "proposalize" or something like that.

And I totally thought that's what it was until now. Excellent

It's not?? Really? God, I was like, proposalize, what an Elle thing to say! That lyricist is really good! Now I feel really sad.

And in One Day more from Les Mis, when Javer says, "We will nip it in the bud"
I just found out today he doesn't say "We will nip it in the butt."
I always thought Javer was pretty cool for saying butt all the way back then.
Updated On: 7/20/07 at 07:58 PM

longshadowsfalling Profile Photo
longshadowsfalling
#79re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 7/20/07 at 10:11pm

Up until recently I thought that in Enchantment Passing Through from Aida when Radames says "To sail away to half discovered places." he was saying "To sail away, to have discovered places."

And jumping on the Out Tonight train, for the longest time I thought "Get up, life's too quick." was "Get up Likes to Quit."

"Have you ever had a dream you'd rather kill yourself than not believe?"- Ripley
Updated On: 7/20/07 at 10:11 PM

VonTussleGirl Profile Photo
VonTussleGirl
#80re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/29/08 at 10:10pm

Threads like these always make me giggle... so bump?

One I just remembered: In the Beach Boys song "Barbara Ann," I always misheard the line "Went to a dance looking for romance" as "Went to a dance looking for a man." That counts as a musical theatre misheard lyric because of Good Vibrations... right?

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#81re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/29/08 at 10:14pm

I'll have to dredge up my list of misheard Les Mis lyrics soon... in the meantime, I recently heard my brother singing the part of "Until Tomorrow" from "A Tale of Two Cities" that goes,

"We go to the Bastille, the symbol of terror
We'll fling the gates open, we'll lead them to freedom."

Well here's how my little bro sang it:

"We go to the bathroom, the symbol of terror,
We'll fling the gates open, we'll pee them to freedom."

I'm pretty sure he actually thought those were the words.

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Shannon Bo Dannon Profile Photo
Shannon Bo Dannon
#82re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/29/08 at 11:13pm

Not heard by me, but I read it on Overheard in New York a while ago:

A person heard this during Halloween in Rent: "How did I get here? How the hell? Pam left.." and they were apparently all who is Pam?? (It's actually pan in case people don't know).

It makes me laugh so hard now when I hear the song.

xxdrewboy85xx Profile Photo
xxdrewboy85xx
#83re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/29/08 at 11:21pm

When I first heard Science Fiction from Rocky Horror Picture Show I made up completely different lyrics for like the whole song cuz I had no idea what the 'lips' were singing.

Paul W. Thompson Profile Photo
Paul W. Thompson
#84re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/30/08 at 1:07am

Isn't the king of this topic this immortal line:

Loaded with charisma is ma jauntily sauntering ambling shambler

From "One" in "A Chorus Line?"

I can't imagine how many show kids broke their stereos trying to decipher that from the original cast album.

Nor can I fathom what it means, or why Kleban wrote it.

As I recall, no one knew what it was until the full score was published around 1979.
Updated On: 10/30/08 at 01:07 AM

shanescot Profile Photo
shanescot
#85re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/30/08 at 1:41am

Speaking of misheard lyrics...
This is pretty hilarious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x33PgKEgXwM Updated On: 10/30/08 at 01:41 AM

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#86re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/30/08 at 3:57am

From "The Book Report" in You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown. I always thought Charlie sang "How do they expect us to write a book report on inequality..." instead of "of any quality...". It didn't make much sense why he wasn't writing about Peter Rabbit like everyone else, but he was the only one in the song who didn't mention Peter Rabbit so I just thought he was writing about something different.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#87re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/30/08 at 4:00am

I hear the lyric right, but I can never get someone to explain to me how it actually makes sense:

"Gossip's worth its weight in gold." - POTO.

I think it's one of those lyrics that sound smart, so you aren't supposed to think about it.

Edit: VonTussleGirl, I've always felt like the verse to "OMG You Guys" was really wordy and hard to sing. It's just bad placement of the lyrics w/ that melody.

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/
Updated On: 10/30/08 at 04:00 AM

Eastwickian Profile Photo
Eastwickian
#88re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/30/08 at 8:03am

I always assumed it meant that the gossip generated by the problems / scandel was extremely valuable and boosting ticket sales...

bwaylover86 Profile Photo
bwaylover86
#89re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/30/08 at 9:17am

eastwickian is correct... gossip is worth its weight in gold is because of all the drama going on people were buying more tickets. Its like that saying that all press is good press. So even if people were dying or missing etc people still wanted to come see the show.

"That boy could use some Prozac"

LotteTBS138 Profile Photo
LotteTBS138
#90re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/30/08 at 4:59pm

J&H Concept album with Anthony Warlow
"This is the moment"

What I heard: This is the moment!
Damn all the arts!

Correct: This is the moment!
Damn all the odds!

I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler

taximom
#91re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/30/08 at 5:34pm

I am really terrible with lyrics. I thought it was "your really not a bitch" in POTO for ever until practically a week ago. There are a ton of other things i dont understand in POTO so i just make up random lyrics.

Also there are a lot of things i dont understand in Aida. I cant tell wat shes saying the whole end of "The Dance of the Robe."

I have some really funny ones from my friend. We were singing along to The Wedding Singer, and in "Casualty of Love" she thought it was "pinata full of leaves" but its really "pinata full of bees."... i hope b/c it would be really embarrassing if that was wrong too. Also in "Its All About the Green" she thought that the line "Hey big spender" was "penny smackers." i was DYING it was so funny.

musicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photo
musicaltheatrefan3
#92re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/30/08 at 6:11pm

Before I saw "Dreamgirls" or really new anything about it, I would always listen to "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going" and thought it was

Tell down the mountains
Yeah, scream and shout
You can say what you want
I'm not walking out
Slap all the rivers
Push like a "kill"
I'm not gonna leave ya
There's no way I will

and I was like, what?

Also, a ton of things from Phantom, Rent (before I saw it), and Les Mis. It's embarrassing when you think the misheard version is real and then sing it and someone tells you the real version!

shpants Profile Photo
shpants
#93re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/31/08 at 1:19pm

Only for about a second, since CLEARLY it could not be this:

Wicked:
"For all this joy we know who we've got to thank, Thank goodness!
That means the wizard, Glinda, and Beyonce..." (instead of fiance)

Like I said, only for a second! LOL

:)

"You see, I told you so! There's lots of things I know. 'Ponine, she knows her way around."

musicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photo
musicaltheatrefan3
#94re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/31/08 at 9:44pm

In "Omigod You Guys," the line "'cause you both got such great taste in clothes" can be easily misheard as "'cause you both got such great-tastin' clothes." I thought it was that once, and I was like "What is Margot doing tasting Elle and Warner's clothing?" LOL!

PiraguaGuy2
#95re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 10/31/08 at 9:52pm

I was always pretty sure it was "Beyonce" too.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

michelle3 Profile Photo
michelle3
#96re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 11/3/08 at 9:32am

Haha, the Phantom of the Opera song "Masquerade" had me confused for awhile.

The line, "Of Elysian peace!" (Which I still don't understand) I misconstrued as "An uneasyin' peace!" And I wondered, "Why would any kind of peace be uneasying?" re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled

Current Avatar - Sutton Foster, accepting the Tony Award for Best Performance by a Velociraptor.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#97re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 11/26/08 at 10:25pm

Adding to this for probably the most embarrassing one ever. LOL!

In "Dancing Through Life" from Wicked, there is a line that is "Why think too hard, when it's so soothing." Well, I never paid too much attention until one day, I swear I heard the the first two words as "wiping." I seriously almost thought he was comparing something to going to the bathroom. LOL! Now I know the correct version makes more sense. However, that song is just so weird anyway, but addicting.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

The White Half-Mask Profile Photo
The White Half-Mask
#98re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 11/26/08 at 11:36pm

When I was a kid listening to "Prima Donna" on the TPOTO cast recording, this is what I heard:

Raoul: I must see these demands are rejected! (actual line)

What I heard: I must see these demands are Jackie Chan!

In my defence, there are a lot of other characters singing at the same time in this song. It was quite puzzling to me, although I thought it was cool that they mentioned Jackie Chan, even though he has nothing to do with the show & didn't quite fit the time period.

LimelightMike Profile Photo
LimelightMike
#99re: Misheard Lyrics That Have Left You Puzzled
Posted: 11/27/08 at 2:08am

See, for me it was SWEENEY.

More specifically, Edmund Lyndeck's 'Turpin'.

During "Ladies..." I always heard:

BEADLE: Todd.
TURPIN: Todd?
*pause*
TURPIN: Todd? GAWH!

Of course, years later, I corrected
Turpin's would-be 'disgust' in this little-known
barber of Fleet Street.