Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)

Barbelena
#1Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 9:41am

I just saw Drowsey Chaperone last weekend and was very disappointed to say the least. I thought it was stupid and how it got so much hype is beyond me. What is it about this show that makes it sell so well. Anyone else out there who agrees with me on this?

WickedGeek28 Profile Photo
WickedGeek28
#2re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 9:46am

I saw it early in previews and LOVED it. I went in not knowing a single thing about the show, except that Sutton was in it. I found it to be fantastic.

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view - until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."
To Kill A Mockingbird

bigbigbill Profile Photo
bigbigbill
#2re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 10:08am

Barbelena, we don't need to hear that on here. It is a fantastic show.

D2 Profile Photo
D2
#3re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 10:17am

BBBill: Barbelena is entitled to his/her opinion.

Barbelena, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. Personally, I loved the show - I thought it was hilarious, creative and joyously performed. It was like a 90 minute vacation. I initially thought that it had so many in-jokes and references that it might be too esoteric for popular success, but then a very good friend of mine who is not a theater buff LOVED it also. As do many, many others, apparently.

Cheyenne Jackson tickled me. AFTER ordering SoMMS a drink but NOT tickling him, and hanging out with Girly in his dressing room (where he DIDN'T tickle her) but BEFORE we got married. To others. And then he tweeted Boobs. He also tweeted he's good friends with some chick on "The Voice" who just happens to be good friends with Tink's ex. And I'm still married. Oh, and this just in: "Pettiness, spite, malice ....Such ugly emotions... So sad." - After Eight, talking about MEEEEEEEE!!! I'm so honored! :-)

Princeton78 Profile Photo
Princeton78
#4re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 10:42am

The show has grown on me slightly since i've seen it, but I still don't believe that it is all it's cracked up to be. It's a cute, fun show, and I enjoy the 20's sound and Bob Martin's very funny commentary. I don't think it was the greatest thing to open last year, and apparently neither did the Tony people.

"Y'all have a GRAND day now"

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#5re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 10:45am

^Completely agree.

It was cute and all, but, not as good as what I've heard

GreenGirl22406 Profile Photo
GreenGirl22406
#6re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 10:48am

I've personally never seen it (I'm going this weekend), but I love the soundtrack. But I can see how people could find it dissapointing. It's kind of fluffy and cute, and if you weren't expecting it, it could seem stupid. The talent, however, is fairly amazing.

"In the rain, the pavement shines like silver
All the lights are misty in the river
In the darkness, the trees are full of starlight
And all I see is him and me forever and forever."

allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#7re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 10:56am

Yes it was you.

Totally, utterly wrong and I'm sorry you don't get it.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#8re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 11:11am

Loved it! We're hoping to see it again in July... Was soooo hilarioius and "FUN"!

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#9re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 11:26am

I got a ticket for it via TDF when it was in previews. Not knowing anything on what its about. However, I fell in love. It is something original. It's the first show on broadway in years that has an original story, great cast and wonderful writing. I am glad to see it's gotten the hype it deserves. I wish it much success across the pond in London.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Mamie Profile Photo
Mamie
#10re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 11:27am

Like they say - it's all a matter of personal taste. I thought it was brilliant and it felt like it lasted all of 15 minutes. I'm trying my hardest to get back and see it again before the cast changes.

www.thebreastcancersite.com
A click for life.
mamie4 5/14/03

sciguy
#11re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 11:34am

I also caught Drowsy thru TDF. Didn't think I would like it, but ended up loving it. I was suprised that my 17 year old daughter also enjoyed the show immensely. To each his own.

ThereIs1Director
#12re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 11:37am

Show is absolutely brilliant. Perhaps the best thing on broadway at the time. Let me guess, your favorite shows are Wicked and Rent. Expand your mind. Brilliant, absolutely brilliant.

broadwaybaby086
#13re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 11:52am

Geez, just because someone doesn't like a show doesn't warrant an attack on taste and character.

I, too, saw Drowsy in previews, and wasn't crazy about it. I really wanted to like it, and there could have been other external factors that led to my less-than-stellar reception of the show. I do, however, want to give it another chance, and I always recommend it to people who are visiting and want to see a Broadway show, as well as to my friends. I really do want to love it!

And, no, before a cutting remark is made, I neither care particularly for Wicked nor Rent.

"I'll cut you, Tracee Beazer!!!! ...Just kidding. I'd never cut anyone." -Tina Maddigan, 9/30/06, WS stage door
Avatar: JULIE "EFFING" WHITE, 2007 TONY WINNER. Thank God. I'm thinking about legally changing my name to Lizzie Curry...

Pippin Profile Photo
Pippin
#14re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 11:54am

ok, kids. let's not all get on the attack bandwagon just because someone didn't like the show. it's not like he/she tore it apart, he/she just wanted to know if anyone else felt the same.

"I'm an American, Damnit!!! And if it's three things I don't believe in, it's quitting and math."

Steve2 Profile Photo
Steve2
#15re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 12:47pm

I have seen it 3 times, once in Los Angeles and twice in NYC. I really enjoy it and think it's one of the better musicals on Broadway at the moment. The very talented cast have developed into their roles and feel it all comes together quite well! Is it perfect? No, but a fun and entertaining show though.

cathywellerstein Profile Photo
cathywellerstein
#16re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 12:49pm

The first time I saw it I absolutely loved it and thought it was the most hillarious and smart thing I had ever seen. So I bought the CD right away but never really listened to it. The music isn't supposed to be that great anyway.

The second time I saw the show I still thought Beth Leavel and Bob Martin were great. But, it wasn't as funny since I knew what was coming. Also, Sutton seemed like she was just going through the motions, which really brought it down.

Overall I think it's a good show with some really great moments. But as everyone else is saying, it's really just a matter of taste.

ShbrtAlley44 Profile Photo
ShbrtAlley44
#17re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 12:52pm

I'm not the biggest Drowsy fan either. It was cute and fluffy, but I didn't get the overwhelming love for it. The cast was wonderful, though!

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#18re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 12:59pm

Well, I think the greatest things about Drowsy are the concept and the nod to the style of 20's Broadway. The concept is brilliant. The style is SO CLOSE to 20's Broadway that it's corny. But that's what many show of that era were like. You sometimes even feel like it's not new material -- and THAT is the real key to the inventiveness of the piece. That's where the true success is with Drowsy.

". . . POP . . ."

dented146 Profile Photo
dented146
#19re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 2:15pm

I also thought it was a very creative show and very entertaining. I don't think anyone is tryng to compare it to Gypsy. I feel it deserves to be the success it has become.

Early on there was a lot of criticism over the score. I believe the score is perfect for the show and feel that some of the orchestrations are among the best I've heard as it relates to the songs.

MLE Profile Photo
MLE
#20re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 2:32pm

Barbelena -

While you certainly have a right to your own opinion, I'm not going to defend yours since you referred to a show as simply, "stupid".
Maybe if you cared to elaborate more instead of just reducing it to a single word review you wouldn't get jumped on right away.

If you noticed, others in the thread who didn't love it all had some positive things to say.

I personally thought it was wonderful. I won lotto for it last July and I called a friend who had seen it a month or so before. She advised me to go to the bathroom before the show and I'm glad I did. That was probably the only other time in my life when I have laughed so hard in a theatre that I cried. The cast was brilliant, the concept was fresh and it articulates feelings that so many have about their favorite shows. Plus, I also just love shows that send that fourth wall crashing down.
I saw some great shows on that particular trip to NYC, you could say they were "better", but none of them succeeded in entertaining me more than Drowsy.

singingbackup Profile Photo
singingbackup
#21re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 3:35pm

Bar--As it is no secret that I adore this show (had it on my Ipod whilst walking in the park over the weekend, put a real pep in my step) and you are entitled to your opinions. Having said that...

ANYONE who starts a thread with "Is it just me or...." looking for their opinion to be validated or wanting to stir something up should expect to be pounced on a bit. There have already been many discussions on The Drowsy Chaperone, about liking or not liking it.

Bashing it at this point is, well, kinda pointless.

trikaraokeidol
#22re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 3:40pm

I saw it three times in LA and once in NY.

Yup - it was definitley you. Most people I know at least walk away with loving something from the show and would not refer to it as "stupid".

parislover87 Profile Photo
parislover87
#23re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 3:43pm

It's just you.

It's the music and I'm its hapless victim

chealion313
#24re: Drowsy Chaperone (was it me?)
Posted: 1/23/07 at 7:19pm

I bought tickets one day when I was looking to see something different, thinking I probably wouldn't like it that much--I ended up loving it. It's something original and different, which, to me, is far more interesting than the usual Disney/musicals made from movies/revivals shows that seem to be flooding Broadway now.