pixeltracker

Why do so many people hate......

Why do so many people hate......

jordanromero2 Profile Photo
jordanromero2
#1Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:11pm

Why do so many people hate Spring Awakening? I honestly can't see what there is to hate about it. The set and lights are fabulous, the cast is young and energized. The music is modern but sounds better than most music on the radio. If you people could just give some of your reasons, maybe this will give me a better understanding. I am not downtalking anyone and I can see if people just don't care for the show but, looking at some of the boards on this site, there are many people that think it is the worst show ever made. Please help me to understand, thanks.

~Jordan Romero

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#2re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:12pm

Because it unfairly won Tonys for categories it didn't deserve?

cubanpab Profile Photo
cubanpab
#2re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:13pm

I'm torn on "Spring Awakening". Its the only show left on broadway we havent already seen, and we planned on seeing it in August. Then it won every damn Tony out there and that really excited us... but then i came here and the amount of hate people seem to have for it kind of dampened the mood.

now i dont know what to do. tickets are so expensive i cant afford to throw my money away.

jordanromero2 Profile Photo
jordanromero2
#3re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:16pm

Honestly, see it and try to get onstage seats if you can. They are cheaper and the experience is really cool!

~Jordan Romero

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#4re: Why do so many people hate......

I didn't hate it at all, buy I think it is way overpraised and is not "changing" Broadway in any way.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#5re: Why do so many people hate......

I don't hate it per se, but I find it vastly overrated. I don't think it's as innovative as its creators would like to think it is. And it is definitely NOT the "next RENT". Sorry. It's not.

The fact that the entire chorus of a song consists of the word "Blah" is insulting. If you can't think up lyrics better than that, maybe that song shouldn't be written.

Basically it's not my type of show. I'm glad I only spent $25 on a student ticket. If I'd spent more, I would have been pissed.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#6re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:17pm

My feelings on the show can be found here:

https://forum.broadwayworld.com/readmessage.cfm?thread=939609&boardname=bway

as long as many others on this board (both in and out of agreement)

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

TLKfan Profile Photo
TLKfan
#7re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:19pm

People have opinions...I thought it was good, but I wasn't in love with it. I think it's when people glorify a show then I usually don't love it. Wicked is a good example, it just doesn't wow me, but this is coming from someone who loves the Lion King and everyone else hates it.

2008 European Tour
London: Les Mis, Lion King, Sound of Music, Joseph, Hairspray, Billy Elliot
France: Le Roi Lion, Cabaret
Germany: Der Konig der Lowen
Holland: Tarzan & Les Mis

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#8re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:20pm

I don't hate it. I find it overhyped and it won more Tonys than it should've. It does a have a good cast and some lovely music though.

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

luvtheEmcee Profile Photo
luvtheEmcee
#9re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:21pm

I think it's not so much "hating" the show as it is frustration that it's not as great as the fanbase seems to think it is. It's good, but imperfect and far from the second coming. It's so easy to cry "hater," though, and assume that everyone who wasn't smitten with it thinks it's the worst thing ever.

A work of art is an invitation to love.

glimpseofstocking Profile Photo
glimpseofstocking
#10re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:22pm

I don't hate it per se, but I find it vastly overrated. I don't think it's as innovative as its creators would like to think it is. And it is definitely NOT the "next RENT". Sorry. It's not.
My thoughts exactly.

Not to mention that the lyrics are laughable.

There wouldn't be lights bright enough!

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#11re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:26pm

^ Mmmhmm.

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah! Totally *insert word my school computer will not let me type* (or *cover mouth*).

SUCH depth there.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

ashley0139
#12re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:30pm

The thing that makes me dislike it is the book. You never get to care about the characters, except Moritz. I'm much more inclined to love something that moves me emotionally, and I think the awful book makes that not happen. You see these characters come in once, talk about their problem, and never hear from them again.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#13re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:30pm

cubanpab- as much as I may mock some Spring Awakening Fans, the 'dictionary' on The Guilty Ones website, voluntaries, spinach, (people who use more than three periods in an ellipsis), I actually do enjoy the show itself, have since I first saw it down at the Atlantic, and I'm going again next month in fact (ZOMG onstage seating!). Do I think it deserved every Tony Award that it won? no. But, I do enjoy it.

If you do decide to go I wouldn't suggest sitting onstage for your first time, though, unless you really know the cast recording and/or sit as far away from the band as possible...I've sat center orch, 1st row center mezz, and onstage, and my best place to see it from is 1st row center mezz.

gymdudeva
#14re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:32pm

cuban: Check out the "Do You Reccomend Seeing Spring Awakening" thread.

I think a lot of it is backlash...maybe understandably so. It seems that when it opened it got almost all rave reviews. It was the refreshing little show that surprised everyone. Then the hype, 1,000,000 internet discussions, crazed fans, Tony noms for everything, etc. and poof! the magic was gone in a way. And of course being so popular, it got analyzed and criticized to death. Whereas it was once not cool to admit you didn't like it, now it was a little embarassing to come out as loving it, lest you seem to have the same taste as teen fangirls.

But it's the same wonderful show that opened in December. It's not everyone's cup of tea, and there is no show that some won't hate, but I think that if you can put aside what eveyone else says and thinks, it's a good show.

sally1112 Profile Photo
sally1112
#15re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:34pm

I think a better thread title would have been...

Why do so many people think S.A is overrated...

and the answers would be about the same.
Updated On: 7/17/07 at 01:34 PM

mominator Profile Photo
mominator
#16re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:36pm

"The fact that the entire chorus of a song consists of the word "Blah""
Very well said jordangirl It makes "Popular" sound like Sondheim!

"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen." Conan O'Brien

Mother's Younger Brother Profile Photo
Mother's Younger Brother
#17re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:37pm

I couldn't agree more, gymdude.

And I think it's hilarious that people who list The Pirate Queen as a favorite show can mock Spring Awakening's lyrics.

vfd88 Profile Photo
vfd88
#18re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:38pm

While I agree that the "Guilty Ones" are overhyping the show to death, just because it won Tonys that it shouldn't have isn't a reason to hate it. Blame the voters.

gymdudeva
#19re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:39pm

I dislike the term "overrated". You can say that another show more deserved a specific award, or that people talk about it too much. But a show is only "rated" to the extent that people like it. So to say it's overrated is it's like saying people shouldn't like it so much, or to many people like it....which makes no sense!!

ashbash1990 Profile Photo
ashbash1990
#20re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:45pm

from what i know, its a good show, and since GG is closing, I would like to see it when I'm in NY in August. I have a problem with the fangirls, really... sceaming, swooning, OMIGODYOUGUYS fans really turn me off of shows, movies etc... I feel they detract from the meaning of the show, and I am reluctant to say I am a fan of a certain show and be counted with the fangirls... Plus, the play was brilliant, there is no way to top it...

What a night! I was in more laps than a napkin!

xM3L24x Profile Photo
xM3L24x
#21re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:47pm

I saw the show back in January and I really enjoyed it for what it was. I agree that the book is weak and the only character you really care about is Moritz. I also felt that some of the Tonys that the show won should not have been given to Spring Awakening, however, I think it's dumb to 'hate' the show based on that. It's really overhyped which can be annoying (ex: Wicked), but I definitely think you should go check it out for yourself.

jpbran Profile Photo
jpbran
#22re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:49pm

Well, one thing I kinda "hate" are the board posts that don't really say what they're about in their title.

Posts like, "Have you ever noticed..." and "I couldn't believe..." and "Why do so many people hate..." Wastes time if it's not something a reader's interested in. People think that a tease is good marketing and a way to get people's attention, but it can just be annoying sometimes.

I wouldn't comment on this if this wasn't a growing trend on this site. And "hate" may be a strong word, but it is getting annoying...

popular_elphie Profile Photo
popular_elphie
#23re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:50pm

I think it's not so much "hating" the show as it is frustration that it's not as great as the fanbase seems to think it is. It's good, but imperfect and far from the second coming. It's so easy to cry "hater," though, and assume that everyone who wasn't smitten with it thinks it's the worst thing ever.
Agreed word for word.

I am torn on the show - in love with the beautiful music, but frustrated with the skimpy book which only touches on certain characters and doesn't give them enough depth. Part of the reason John Gallagher won the Tony is because Moritz is the best written part in that show - Wendla and Melchior don't have as much going for them, and don't really have any song or any part to show how amazing their acting is, as Moritz has with "Don't Do Sadness" and the absolutely heartbreaking monologue afterwards.

I like the show, but I do criticize where I see fit.

bwaygal1 Profile Photo
bwaygal1
#24re: Why do so many people hate......
Posted: 7/17/07 at 1:53pm

You never get to care about the characters, except Moritz. I'm much more inclined to love something that moves me emotionally, and I think the awful book makes that not happen. You see these characters come in once, talk about their problem, and never hear from them again.

Precisely my criticism of the show, ashley. I don't care about them. They come across largely as a bunch of whiney, hormonal teens, which I am certainly not anymore. And I don't feel anything at the end emotionally. If they had digressed from the source just a little, this might have been a good show.
IMO-the award it truly didn't deserve was best book.

"A birdcage I plan to hang. I'll get to that someday. A birdcage for a bird who flew away...Around the world." "Life is a cabaret old chum, only a cabaret old chum, and I love a cabaret!"-RIP Natasha Richardson-I was honored to have witnessed her performance as Sally Bowles.