pixeltracker

Seeing Shows Multiple Times- Page 2

Seeing Shows Multiple Times

siny
#25re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 10:45am

By next Sunday I will have seen The Fantasticks 8 times over the 3 months that Anthony Fedorov was in it (I loved the play itself too). And I don't feel the need to justify myself. So, if anyone thinks I am nuts, I am OK with that :)
Updated On: 7/23/07 at 10:45 AM

viola13
#26re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 10:58am

There's a guy who has seen Rent over 1100 times since 1996. He's in the Rent book.

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#27re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 11:00am

I almost felt sad for the young guy, standing there, in the photo, with a smile on his face, when realistically, I feel he should grow up a little and read a bit more, or get a hobby, or something.

I think seeing the same show more than once every 2 or 3 months,unless the show is closing soon or something,is kind of nuts.

16 times in four months?? This person is crazy.

But 16 times in four months? wtf?

I think it's crazy to see the same show 16 times!

Is the issue because it's 16 times, because it's 4 months...or because it's Legally Blonde?

I've seen Legally Blonde 5 times in 4 months- oh noez, I must be teh crazy!!

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#28re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 11:04am

I know the Boy From Oz Lady - the closing show was her 200th time. She's a big (obviously) Hugh Jackman fan, and she figured something like that was never going to come back to Broadway, so why not?

Honestly, live and let live. A lot of people who see shows a LOT of times have expendable income, see a multitude of stuff on and off Broadway that interests them, and work in show business themselves. As long as they aren't hurting anyone, why do you care?

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#29re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 11:16am

When I saw The Wedding Singer in November (?) there was a girl there who had seen it something around 132 times.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

Andergoat Profile Photo
Andergoat
#30re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 11:18am

Personally, I think trekking to the theater, interacting with the other patrons, and actively enjoying live entertainment is way more healthy than passively sitting on a couch watching TV, which is what many Americans are doing at the same time. And it's 2-3 hours out of the day--who's to say these people don't have other hobbies?

gymdudeva
#31re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 11:53am

My last time at SA (in May), the wonderful woman who was the on-stage usher told me some woman had seen SA from the onstage seats over 200 times.

WaltSummersPI Profile Photo
WaltSummersPI
#32re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 11:56am

I guess that's including off-Broadway? I don't think Spring Awakening hit the 200 mark till the end of June.

Testing1232 Profile Photo
Testing1232
#33re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 12:33pm

I really have nothing much to say to this thread other than
"to each, their own"--- We go to DisneyWorld 5x a year (from NYC) --- people think its odd--- but, it makes us happy, and thats all that should ever matter---

Speaking of which---- SDAV--- Your avatar totally rocks !!

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#34re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 12:42pm

If lets say, walking in Central Park brought you joy and you did it every chance you got, whenever the mood strikes would you consider yourself sick? Even if you walk by the same carousel everyday?
I do not see what the difference is going to a show you enjoy, if it brings you pleasure (and you do not sacrifice your basic needs for living to do so) as many times as you wish.

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#35re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 12:55pm

Sometimes a show touches people in certain ways. I saw Sweet Charity 15 times. But i had like an emotional connection with the show. I felt/feel like i am Charity and there was almost something spirtual about watching someone else conquer the same things i feel.

Parsley
#36re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 1:07pm

I will see a show several times if I like it enough. Each time is different anyhow in live theatre of course, but never at the expense of seeing different things. I also re-visit shows if there is a cast change, particularly with someone I want to see, but again, only if I like the show to begin with.

I cannot imagine sitting through the dire Legally Blonde more than once though - the first and only time was more than enough for me. But then whatever floats his boat.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#37re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 1:55pm

I've seen shows multiple times before, but the most I've seen any show was 4 times - the Hairspray tour. Within 2 weeks. Each time I went with someone different. Plus it was my first time being in the city (Boston) and I thought, "Finally! I can just walk down the street and see a show!" I was more amazed by that fact.

I've seen most of the stuff I wanted to see on Broadway, so I've come to the point where I want to make return visits to shows. I don't think I'll do something to the extent of seeing Legally Blonde 14 times within a few months, but, yeah, I'd definitely want to make some return visits to shows.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

orangeskittles Profile Photo
orangeskittles
#38re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:13pm

I think the time frame for seeing these shows multiple times is the deciding factor in sanity. 16 times in 4 years is understandable, but 16 times in 4 months is excessive. Especially if it's an open-ended run. You have all the time in the world to see it again- why not make the effort to check out something new? 5 Broadway shows are closing this week; how many of those has LegallyBlondeX16 seen?

Like a firework unexploded
Wanting life but never knowing how
Updated On: 7/23/07 at 02:13 PM

#39re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:16pm

It's his life. He's not doing any harm to you by going to see Legally Blond 16 times in 4 months. Who are you to judge?

Sorry to sound rude or frank, but that's my take on it.

Jade Profile Photo
Jade
#40re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 2:56pm

I don't see the harm. 16 times in 4 months works out at about once a week, and I bet a lot of people have a particular activity they do once a week. I'd say there's only something wrong if, as misschung said, the show was taking over his life or if he was stalking a cast member, or something like that. If, however, he's just seeing the show then going home then what's the problem? He's doing something he enjoys. Good for him.

I saw Rent 8 times in 4 months (and plenty of times since then) and I would've done even if I hadn't learned it was closing here in England. :) I enjoyed myself every time. My Rent obsession has since calmed down and I'm sure this person will calm down over Legally Blonde as well.

And to all those people who said he should see other shows: What's the point if he'll just sit there wishing he was seeing Legally Blonde instead?

SarahNYC Profile Photo
SarahNYC
#41re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:25pm

Yeah... I've seen Spring Awakening a bunch of times, and the first time I sat on stage, the guy manning the lockers pointed the super fan out to me. Now, every time that I've been back I've seen her.

I think there's a healthy level of fandom and then there's obsession and I think when you break 20 or so times in the history of a production, you cross that line... Just my opinion though.

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#42re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 7/23/07 at 3:27pm

ANYONE WHO SEES ANY MUSICAL MORE THAN 3 TIMES IS INSANE. IN FACT, I WOULD NEVER EVER DO THAT MYSELF. THE END.

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Fiyero13
#43re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:32pm

Sarah I agree, with it being a beyond healthy obsession, I mean i know they're not hurting anybody but if I had a good friend who was seeing shows that many times and expending that much income I would try to help him/her. Fanatically obsessed with anything isn't healthy and broadway is such an easy obsession.

broadwayjim42
#44re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:38pm

I couldn't do 16 shows of anything, mostly because I couldn't afford it. My top so far is three each of Avenue Q and Hairspray and I could easily sit through either again...although I'll wait with Hairspray until the Beav leaves.

ThankstoPhantom
#45re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:39pm

The most I've seen a show is 7 times...and that's been over the course of 12 years.

To each his own is what I say. Some people are generally theatre fans who see everything they can (ie people such as myself and many here), and there are those who are fans of A show, and see it multiple times. There is a difference.

For example, I am not a huge fan of TV, but there are a few shows I watch.

How to properly use its/it's: Its is the possessive. It's is the contraction for it is...

Piercemn Profile Photo
Piercemn
#46re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:41pm

There was a time when I was a fantatic about this stuff, but now, I have seen Mamma Mia 5 times. Twice in New York, twice in Minneapolis and once in London. I'd see it again though. I loved it!

NYC Visitor and Broadway Fan

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#47re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:46pm

Personally... I don't think there is anything wrong with seeing a show a bunch of times. Its something I do to relax....... To each his own!!

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#48re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:49pm

but if I had a good friend who was seeing shows that many times and expending that much income I would try to help him/her.

What, like put them on "Intervention"? LOL...

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

AvenueQResident Profile Photo
AvenueQResident
#49re: Seeing Shows Multiple Times
Posted: 8/3/07 at 2:49pm

I saw Avenue Q in London this June and July. First time was intended as it was an end of a year treat for me and my university friends. The second time I was in London for an audition, so I had a whole weekend to myself. I knew some friends staying in London, who I wanted to see a show with. One of them really wanted to see Avenue Q badly. I did really want to see it again as it's my favourite show at the moment, but not so soon. But none of us had plans for the night, we rang up and got some cheap tickets and I got to see it twice within two months! I still loved it just as much the first time I saw it :) But I did want to see something new, so the following day I met up with a different friend and we saw Mary Poppins. I guess there's no harm in seeing a show non-stop, but for me personally, I'd like to see what else is showing or playing.

Everything in life...is only for now.
Updated On: 8/3/07 at 02:49 PM