Bee or Drowsy

Juliash Profile Photo
Juliash
#2re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 2:15pm

I saw both in the same weekend, Spelling Bee with most of its original cast and Drowsy with its original cast.

Spelling Bee- its retained its "sparkle" if you will without the original cast whereas word on the street is that Drowsy has not.

Spelling Bee is also different every time you see it.

BruceWayne5148
#2re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 2:35pm

spelling bee all the way!

waddledee524 Profile Photo
waddledee524
#3re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 2:40pm

Spelling Bee, most definitely.

Hear the words I sing: war's a horrid thing. So, I sing sing sing... Ding a ling a ling.

justafan2
#4re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 2:59pm

I would say Drowsy if only to see the performances of Beth and Danny----

parislover87 Profile Photo
parislover87
#5re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 3:07pm

drowsy was my favorite show back when the originals were there... i still say see drowsy... the spelling bee tour is spreading itself around... but then again so is drowsy... still i heard that spelling bee is a wreck currently... everyone trying too hard

It's the music and I'm its hapless victim

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#6re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 3:25pm

Drowsy is a good musical, and still has a great cast.

Spelling Bee is not, and still has a great cast.

IMO.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#7re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 3:44pm

Drowsy's closing sooner. If I remember right, Spelling Bee is going about a month longer...so try to catch them both if you want to see them.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

BrianIdol Profile Photo
BrianIdol
#8re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 4:11pm

BOTH!

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#9re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 4:14pm

Spelling Bee!

It's the funniest show on Broadway and it's insanely entertaining.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#10re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 4:25pm

Drowsy. I honestly did not like Spelling Bee's current cast.

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

lesmis Profile Photo
lesmis
#11re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 5:08pm

Spelling Bee. Can't wait to see it again on 1/19.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#12re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 5:08pm

I'm surprised to see how many people like Spelling Bee over Drowsy. I thought it was cute, but that was about it...

postergirl
#13re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 5:09pm

Drowsy

Macy2 Profile Photo
Macy2
#14re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 5:11pm

Spelling Bee - if you're in the mood for something that's more than fluff. I thought Drowsy was okay -- not amazing -- and found the songs kinda blah and alot of the humor fell flat with me. Spelling Bee, on the other hand, has some great songs and the cast (that I saw anyway) was really good.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#15re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 5:16pm

I'd go with Bee.

yellibean2
#16re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 5:29pm

Definitely Spelling Bee =D

myManCape Profile Photo
myManCape
#17re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:28pm

Both are great but I would say the current Drowsy cast is better.

"Have they come yet?"

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#18re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:38pm

I really didn't like Bee. I saw it twice, because after the first time my friend said it was the funniest thing ever, and it must have been an off night. So i went back with another cast, and again I just didn't find it funny. I would see Drowsy!

lightguy06222
#19re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:46pm

dont discriminate against either shows, see them both!!!!!

both are totally worth it, and do lottery/rush for both... not extremely busy lotterys.

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#20re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/20/07 at 10:48pm

I Agree

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#21re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/21/07 at 5:34am

I would say Drowsy, but they recently launched the tour, so the tour might be around longer than the Spelling Bee tour. I haven't seen exact dates, so I'm not sure of this. See if Drowsy has a show coming to your area, and if so, go with Bee. If not, see Drowsy, most definitely.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Rentaholic2
#22re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/21/07 at 1:16pm

I think it is a win-win situation, but I would have to give the edge to Bee. Drowsy has a lot of really funny parts, but Bee really had me rolling - I feel like older folks generally prefer the humor of Drowsy, while younger people click more with the humor of Bee. In my opinion, the music from Drowsy is completely forgettable, while it is hard to resist the catchy tunes in Bee. Also, if you see Bee, you are pretty much guaranteed a great seat, as the theatre is so small - not necessarily the case for Drowsy. Finally, by the end of the night, Bee has some truly touching, sometimes heart-breaking moments revealed through the children's home lives, personal relations, and insecurities. My heart really broke for some of the characters in Bee. Drowsy just left me feeling good ( which is definately not a bad thing).

So again, win-win, but I'd say go for Bee if you don't have time to see both.

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#23re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/21/07 at 1:43pm

Drowsy. I was bored to tears during Bee. Check out the amazing new cast in Drowsy and still get to marvel at Beth's greatness.

DRSisLove Profile Photo
DRSisLove
#24re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/21/07 at 5:16pm

I saw both with their original casts, and thought they were pretty boring. Saw BEE in November and thought it was amazing.

BEE all the way!

IsolatingAge
#25re: Bee or Drowsy
Posted: 12/21/07 at 7:39pm

I've heard Bob Saget is terrible.
I've never seen Spelling Bee before, but I'm seeing it on the 30th, and from what I have seen and heard from it, it's probably the better choice. And there's always the tour of Drowsy, which might have better casting.

You must think I'm still sixteen. I dropped out of high school for a reason. And I don't care if you're pretty. I'm not admitting you are right. My soul is not a stage. I won't pretend I'm anything I'm not

Videos