pixeltracker

Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins

Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins

suicidalmickeymouse Profile Photo
suicidalmickeymouse
#2re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 11:32am

Great!

Hunter: Your teeth need whitening./ Heidi: You sound weird./ Jeff: You taste funny.
-Jeff Bowen's worst onstage line flub.

Act4ever Profile Photo
Act4ever
#2re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 11:43am

That is so exciting!!! She's the only reason I wanted to see the show on Broadway and now I can just see her in Chicago! Woo hoo! Very great news!

Dolly_Levi Profile Photo
Dolly_Levi
#3re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 11:53am

Good for her. A star taking their show on the road. I like it!

Laughter is much more important than applause. Applause is almost a duty. Laughter is a reward. Carol Channing

husk_charmer
#4re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 11:55am

I may go see the tour now.

http://www.youtube.com/huskcharmer

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#5re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 12:07pm

Yay! I hope this comes to to an area near me...I'll be out of college probably by the time it reaches Boston.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611
Updated On: 4/17/08 at 12:07 PM

tthomas76 Profile Photo
tthomas76
#6re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 12:11pm

That's great news... I know we'll be going to Chicago now to see it..It'll be our daughters first time seeing it!

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#7re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 12:11pm

If this isn't great news for today, I don't know what would be.

Here's hoping other tours follow this as it used to be the norm back-in-the-day when stars headlined the tours of their shows: Ethel Merman and Angela Lansbury in their productions of GYPSY; original Broadway cast of WEST SIDE STORY; practically the entire original Broadway cast of JEROME ROBBINS' BROADWAY.

re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#8re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 12:18pm

I wonder if Gavin Lee will join her? He mentioned in a recent interview he wanted to see the country...

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 12:27pm

I think I read that also. It seems I read somewhere that the tour will not include his dancing upside down. That they couldn't do that on tour.

Just give the world Love.

SpellingBeeFan4Ever Profile Photo
SpellingBeeFan4Ever
#10re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 12:29pm

You forgot about Angela Lansbury in Sweeney Todd and Yul Breyner in King And I.

He's a faker, and you've been taken in by his con. And in doing so, you are enabling him. He is doing more damage to aspergers than papa's words ever could. -Chane/Liverpool on me having asperger syndrome.
Updated On: 4/17/08 at 12:29 PM

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#11re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 12:29pm

It shouldn't be hard for Gavin to do the tour if he wanted to. He isn't on any equity exchange and he is here via work visa so the logistics shouldn't get in the way.

He could get a citizenship if he wanted to considering that he is married to a US citizen.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

justafan2
#12re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 12:30pm

Why would a star of a Broadway show leave to star in a touring production? I'm not being sarcastic---I really want to know--are there added benefits to being on tour? Variety?

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#13re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 12:31pm

I had no idea his wife was American. Did they meet after he came over to do Mary Poppins, or did he know her previously?

"Why would a star of a Broadway show leave to star in a touring production? I'm not being sarcastic---I really want to know--are there added benefits to being on tour? Variety?"

It's not a bad career move, particularly for this tour, which will be pretty high profile. It's playing a lot of big markets, and she'll get reviewed and get a lot of press in every city the tour visits. Updated On: 4/17/08 at 12:31 PM

Bdwy24
#14re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 12:40pm

You get more money on tour! When you're in NYC that is homebase so you don't get per diem. When on tour you get $777/week for housing/food (unless it has increased recently). You can easily live on that and put away your salary.

winston89 Profile Photo
winston89
#15re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 12:42pm

Her wife from what I understand is an actress. I think that the two of them met in England. But, still she would still be an American citizen. And, it is eaiser to get citizenship in America if your married to a citizen rather then trying to go through INS.

But, regardless of this he never joined Mary Poppins on Broadway via an equity trade. He was there under a work visa. I had thought that he was here via an equity trade with Creel but I found out that I was wrong and it was as I said a work visa.

"If you try to shag my husband while I am still alive, I will shove the art of motorcycle maintenance up your rancid little Cu**. That's a good dear" Tom Stoppard's Rock N Roll

Yankeefan007
#16re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 12:46pm

Lee's wife is an American woman, so therefore, he probably has his Greencard and has the ability to work in the States whenever he wants.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#17re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 1:19pm

Good for her! I hope she has a wonderful time with the show on the road.

I'm curious who will replace her on Broadway.

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#18re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 2:03pm

Great news about Ashley!

QUESTION: Is it really a "National Tour" if it's listed as an OPEN RUN in the first city it plays?

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

broadwayfan7 Profile Photo
broadwayfan7
#19re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 2:24pm

Fantastic News!

"Everytime you step on that stage it is somebody's first Broadway show and somebody's last Broadway show. Make it count."

BrianS Profile Photo
BrianS
#20re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 3:52pm

winston89, while a work visa allows him to legally work in the US, he would still need the approval of Actors Equity to be cast in a Broadway production.

I don't know for a fact that Creel was the tit-for-tat trade that was used with British Equity, but he is either in Poppins on Broadway because (a) Equity considers him an "internationally recognized star" (that's how Michael Crawford was hired for DOTV) which allows him to be cast without giving a West End role to an American actor in return or (b) he was involved with a deal with British Equity to allow an American to perform on the West End.

All that means is that if your facts are right about it not being a trade, Equity considered him a "star."

If the audience could do better, they'd be up here on stage and I'd be out there watching them. - Ethel Merman

Dancin Thru Life Profile Photo
Dancin Thru Life
#21re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 5:52pm

QUESTION:

Is it really a "National Tour" if it's listed as an OPEN RUN in the first city it plays?

"To love another person is to see the face of God!"

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#22re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 6:19pm

I read the news article on this site first. I've been sick for the past few days and don't really feel like my mind is all here, but does it say the tour is starting March 25, 2008 or am I really just seeing things?

::bust a move::

James885 Profile Photo
James885
#23re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 6:42pm

That's great news. She was out when I saw the show in NYC so maybe now I'll be able to see her. Now it was be FANTASTIC if Gavin Lee decided to go on tour as well!

"You drank a charm to kill John Proctor's wife! You drank a charm to kill Goody Proctor!" - Betty Parris to Abigail Williams in Arthur Miller's The Crucible

Brave Sir Robin2 Profile Photo
Brave Sir Robin2
#24re: Ashley Brown to Star in National Tour of Mary Poppins
Posted: 4/17/08 at 7:19pm

Why is it taking over a year to come to Los Angeles at the Ahmanson Theatre in November 2009? I hope Ashley will still be in it. I love her:^).

"I saw Pavarotti play Rodolfo on stage and with his girth I thought he was about to eat the whole table at the Cafe Momus." - Dollypop

Videos