Life After Patti?

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#1Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 10:18am

Patti LuPone is bound to leave Gypsy at some point, probably in less than a year. Since it's "Patti LuPone in Gypsy", do you think the show can survive without her? Who else do you think could play the role/keep the show going? I think Nancy Opel would be good, but she's not a marquee name.

zepka102 Profile Photo
zepka102
#2re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 10:24am

The revival will probably close when she's done since it was for her. I doubt they will try and get someone big to take over. If they do, it probably won't last long. I can't think of anyone now who would be fitting.

::bust a move::

haddaddy3 Profile Photo
haddaddy3
#2re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 10:24am

No, definately not. As you said, she's not a marquee name, so she wouldn't even be considered. I've seen her perform twice and she certainly didn't blow me away either time.

If they're going to replace Patti - and there's a 99.9% chance they won't - it has to be a Broadway star big enough (Nancy Opel is not "big") to capture attention after Patti's leaves or a Hollywood name to sell tickets.

A question comes to mind. Have they replaced any of the Broadway Roses? I know they didn't replace Bernadette, but the other 3 were before my time.

You look absolutely terrific, honestly.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#3re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 10:47am

Linda Lavin took over for Tyne Daly.

Broadway Bob* Profile Photo
Broadway Bob*
#4re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 10:48am

Tyne Daly was replaced by Linda Lavin. The Lansbury production was a limited run deal anyway, and Bernadette's closed before they needed to replace. Not sure about Merman, though. I would LOVE to have seen Lavin's take on the role.

Personally (and I know this is IMPOSSIBLE) I would love to see Bette replace Patti!

<-- Tevye, FIDDLER ON THE ROOF, March 2018

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#5re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 10:49am

I would also love to see Bette!

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#6re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 10:54am

Lavin's dramatic moments were gut-wrenching, but like Tyne and Bernadette, she couldn't sing the role.

Betty Buckley could sing the role, but there was no one moment of humor.

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#7re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 11:09am

With the Peters revival so close in memory, I think they should just close the Lupone revival when Patti leaves and preserve the sanctity and divinity that was Patti's performance. No one can top that transcendant Rose's Turn. The show was opened for Patti, so let's just close it when she leaves and not trot out stunt casting or lackluster Roses.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello

MungoGypsy8232
#8re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 11:27am

though I would love for her to have her own production, Christine Ebersole would be an ideal replacement!

mr.scribble Profile Photo
mr.scribble
#9re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 12:11pm

i think Beth Leavel could nail the part but would of course lack in comparrison, but what replacement doesn't to the original

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#10re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 12:14pm

I think the inevitable comparisons and the deflation of expectations of trying to replace am immortal performance by Lupone are reason enough to end the run with her. I would hate to see such a glorious revival peter out and die off with replacements.

"The sexual energy between the mother and son really concerns me!"-random woman behind me at Next to Normal "I want to meet him after and bang him!"-random woman who exposed her breasts at Rock of Ages, referring to James Carpinello
Updated On: 5/24/08 at 12:14 PM

into_the_woods2 Profile Photo
into_the_woods2
#11re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 12:14pm

yeah i agree with bettyboy, patti's performance SHOULD be savored (for lack of a better word). THe next gypsy revival should DEFINITELY have christine ebersole as rose!!!

"The good news is I have an excellent Tony speech. The bad news is I've had it for forty-five years."-Elaine Stritch

Mealz1042 Profile Photo
Mealz1042
#12re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 12:19pm

oh wow yeah, i could definately see Ebersole in that role.
But to answer the initial question, as everyone else said, it will probably close after patti.

<-- Gwen Stewart, SOLoist at the last show of RENT
Cages or wings? Which do you prefer? Ask the birds. Fear or love, baby? Don't say the answer Actions speak louder than words. (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#13re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 12:38pm

"Betty Buckley could sing the role, but there was no one moment of humor."

Betty does one heck of a "Rose's Turn," though.

zooxanthellae Profile Photo
zooxanthellae
#14re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 12:42pm

I would love to see Christine Ebersole and Donna Murphy as Rose, at some point!

esparza 333
#15re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 12:44pm

Even though Ebersole and Murphy could be awesome in the part I don't think we will be seeing a Gypsy revival again for a while. I am sure this production will close with Patti in it.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

jagfkb
#16re: Life After Patti?

Though it will most likely close after Patti, I could see the production running for a while in a smaller theatre, copying Chicago's success as a smaller, more intimate production. I would also love to see Megan Mullally star, but the possibiity of her joining seems a little unlikely.

Ad Lick It
#17re: Life After Patti?

Okay, I think it can work.

2 ideas:

Cyndi Lauper

Toni Collette

(and can we please drop the shenanigans of these C List divas like Murphy, Ebersole and Leavel...?)

Bettyboy72 Profile Photo
Bettyboy72
#18re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 12:46pm

Cyndi would be a revelation and you know she would lose her s#@t during Roses Turn. I would extend the revival for Cyn, and only Cyn. She might jump into the audience and climb over chairs and people during Roses Turn.

esparza 333
#19re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 12:47pm

Don't call them c list divas. They are brilliant performers.

Current Avatar:The sensational Aaron Tveit in the soon to be hit production of Catch Me If You Can.

into_the_woods2 Profile Photo
into_the_woods2
#20re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 12:49pm

if ebersole and murphy are c list divas, who are A list divas?

"The good news is I have an excellent Tony speech. The bad news is I've had it for forty-five years."-Elaine Stritch

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#21re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 1:04pm

According to the IBDB, there was no replacement for Merman.
It ran for 702 performances in total, in two theaters (the Broadway and the Imperial.)

Maggie-the-schnoodle

Dollypop
#22re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 1:09pm

If anyone is going to replace Patti, it should be Loretta Swit.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

KJisgroovy Profile Photo
KJisgroovy
#23re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 1:10pm

How can you expect someone to be a revelation?
To be a revelation... it would have to be unexpected.

Plus. How can extending the production do anything to Patti's performance? Her performance happened... nothing that follows it can change that... I don't understand this idea that someone else's performance can do anything to a memory. Smells like elitism to me.

kmc

Jesus saves. I spend.

SirNotAppearing Profile Photo
SirNotAppearing
#24re: Life After Patti?
Posted: 5/24/08 at 1:16pm

Anyone ever think about a black Rose?
:)

Videos