Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?

Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#1Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 3:20am

honestly? who?!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8grY5ezzMGY

ok, La Vie Boheme... you leave in piss, ass.. but you take out dildo?! and replace it with latex... AND THEN! AND THEN! you leave in masturabtion?! WHO EDITED THIS?! WHY EVEN BOTHER?!

FlyingMonkey1223 Profile Photo
FlyingMonkey1223
#2re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 3:22am

They took out "pool" and replaced it with "super-sized Jacuzzi from Planet Nennafarf!"

Not sure why they would replaced that, but it's a school so I guess they had their reasons.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#2re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 3:34am

Probably the same guys who keep updating the Bible to suit their own needs...

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

CATSNYrevival Profile Photo
CATSNYrevival
#3re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 3:42am

Whoever it was they must have been embarrassed because there's no credit given to a revisionist on the MTI piano conductors score.

mormonophobic Profile Photo
mormonophobic
#4re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 5:14am

Is it my imagination or do they really say "inability to make a connection on the high holy days"?

CONAries Profile Photo
CONAries
#5re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 5:16am

And they but out the best bit of the song "Bisexuals, trisexuals, homo sapiens..."

Usnavi Profile Photo
Usnavi
#6re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 9:54am

...and now i have a splitting headache after watching that godawful mess.

PiraguaGuy2
#7re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 10:03am

Ugh.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#8re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 10:18am

I've directed a number of the JRs at my MS and none of them are ever credited.

Also: the artists have final say over the final products...so they have been approved...of course, I don't know who is approving Larson's work.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

newsieboy23 Profile Photo
newsieboy23
#9re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 10:44am

I think the changes are minimal and unoffensive. No problems here.

PiraguaGuy2
#10re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 10:56am

I can't see how Sondheim/Lapine approved the "Into the Woods Jr." that cuts out the entire second act, and thus the whole meaning of the show.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

gypsy4
#11re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 11:05am

isn't it tim mcdonald?

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#12re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 11:07am

Close to what dramamama said, the Jr/School Editions are edited either by someone at MTI or that MTI hires. I do know that with Rent Jonathan Larson's parents (who are in charge of the artistic side of his work since he passed) had the final OK.

The "trial" production of Rent School Edition was at Stagedoor Manor Camp where they did a staged reading. One of the heads of MTI came and directed the production and worked on some of the changes there and Mr. and Mrs. Larson came to see the final product. They were very moved and gave whatever changes they wanted to change back, alter, etc. and the School Edition was complete.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#13re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 11:20am

I do not like this at all. Can't a high school leave this show alone? These kids are not good. They all think they're so hott because they are part of the Northwest premier.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#14re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 12:44pm

I've looked over all the changes in the school edition and I honestly don't think any of the changes are harmful to the original. Sure, some things are missed, and sure, it may be awkward to watch high school students perform the show, but I think the editing is pretty spot on. If a school has the talent and the liberal students and parents to put the show up without harassment, then I say by all means do it. They sanitized it just enough. It does not take away from the integrity of Rent.

~Steven

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#15re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 1:08pm

The changes aren't killing it for me in the least.

Just finished La Vie Boheme A&B. For a high school cast they're pretty talented. Some great voices. The "eating disorders" line girl was probably a poor choice though- she could just have a fast metabolism but an a pretty ironic directing choice nonetheless.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock
Updated On: 12/7/08 at 01:08 PM

eatlasagna
#16re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 2:15pm

it's so weird to see this show with practically everyone white...

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#17re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 2:44pm

I couldn't keep my eyes off the actor playing Angel. And not in a good way! His "drag queens like to adjust their wig a lot" take on the role was quite curious.

#18re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 2:57pm

Oh please. RENT freaks are so obsessive. It was fine.

Pianolin717 Profile Photo
Pianolin717
#19re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 3:15pm

ok well look... it may work, but who ever edited it has bad taste!
why would you leave in words like piss ass and even masturbation, and better yet, let EVERYBODY sing mucho masturbation... but leave out dildo? that is the worst editing I have ever seen

theaterdude87 Profile Photo
theaterdude87
#20re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 3:19pm

This girl is good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soo9RzzWeLc

Clearly the school has a ton of money.

for fierce, fabulous and fun times visit eric mathew's world. http://ericmathew.blogspot.com/

logan0215 Profile Photo
logan0215
#21re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 4:11pm

Good lord. The production value on that was insane.

Perhaps because the word masturbation is a "technical" term that could be talked about in sex ed. like the word "penis" whereas dildo really has no justifiable reason to be discussed in said class and therefore not justifiable to be in a high school production.

I love America. Just because I think gay dudes should be allowed to adopt kids and we should all have hybrid cars doesn't mean I don't love America. [turns and winks directly into the camera] - Liz Lemon (Tina Fey) on 30 Rock

SporkGoddess
#22re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 4:34pm

Oh please, try going to a Catholic school, where drunk characters are turned into people who are "always tired." And you're complaining about "dildo" being removed?

Jimmy, what are you doing here in the middle of the night? It's almost 9 PM!
Updated On: 12/7/08 at 04:34 PM

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#23re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 4:41pm

"This girl is good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soo9RzzWeLc

Clearly the school has a ton of money."

Take Me or Leave Me is up and both gals are good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7-rr8aKRys

Looks like this one is the production in San Mateo:
http://www.smhsdrama.org/rent/

And
"Oh please, try going to a Catholic school, where drunk characters are turned into people who are "always tired." And you're complaining about "dildo" being removed?"

Hehe, being a product of Catholic school myself, I can relate to that. Updated On: 12/7/08 at 04:41 PM

Jonny boy Profile Photo
Jonny boy
#24re: Who edited Rent: HIgh School Edition?
Posted: 12/7/08 at 4:48pm

RENT should not be done at a high school level period!!! It really looks ridiculous!