Ellen Greene

Annas_Priest Profile Photo
Annas_Priest
#1Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 1:21am

Where is this women!
She has such an amazing and unique voice. I know she did Pushing Daisies, and got to sing some, but what now?

She really needs to come back to Broadway.. In what.. I have no clue.. But I love her voice.

xbri0432x
#2re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 2:10am

I KNOW!! i really hope she comes back to broadway SOON

"My two best friends are Liza Minelli and a tomato." - Penelope (SNL)

mentaltenant Profile Photo
mentaltenant
#2re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 2:19am

She is simply amazing! I listen to her album daily, her voice moves me so much. Would love to see her on Broadway again!

Annas_Priest Profile Photo
Annas_Priest
#3re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 2:20am

She has an album?
Whats the song list?

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#4re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 3:25am

She released In Her Eyes in 2004 with her husband/musical director, this is the tracklist from her website:

1. I Love You
2. The Man With the Child in His Eyes
3. Pretty Pretty
4. Only Women Bleed
5. Ready For Love
6. Nothing Blues
7. Throwing Stones
8. Too Much Love Will Kill You
9. Winter
10. When Love is Gone
11. You Take My Breath Away
12. Love is Everything
13. Rainbow Sleeves

Bonus Track: Pirate Jenny

it seems to be out of print, or just very hard to find, anyone have any leads on where it can be purchased?

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott
Updated On: 12/30/08 at 03:25 AM

parker russel
#5re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 9:42am

wasn't expecting to read a thread on this this morning...

I actually am one of the producers on the album. PM me for info on how to get it.

Gothampc
#6re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 9:46am

What about bringing her back to Broadway as the mother in Carrie?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#7re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 9:53am

The mother in CARRIE is named Margaret White. As a 'Broadway Legend' you should know this. re: Ellen Greene

Gothampc
#8re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 9:59am

"The mother in CARRIE is named Margaret White. As a 'Broadway Legend' you should know this."

Chita Rivera is also a Broadway Legend. Do you think she can remember the name of a character from a Broadway show that ran less than a week?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

BrodyFosse123
#9re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 10:08am

CARRIE didn't 'run' for less that a week. Between preview performances and its 'regular' performances... it played the Virginia Theatre for almost a month.

Plus... the musical was based on Stephen King's novel CARRIE, so the character's name has been known for over a decade before its musical incarnation -- even before Brian DePalma's 1976 film adaptation.

Updated On: 12/30/08 at 10:08 AM

once a month Profile Photo
once a month
#10re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 11:09am

Listening to her belt Suddenly Seymore when she opened in Little Shop ranked as one musical moment that brought shivers to my spine and will always be remembered...in awe. I keep that memory with Jennifer Holliday doing "I'm Telling You..." and Patti Lupone's Roses Turn.

Gothampc
#11re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 11:12am

Isn't there a video version of her in Little Shop that was filmed for Japanese tv?

BrodyFosse123
#12re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 11:46am

Nope. Audrey in that 1987 Japanese telecast/broadcast of LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS is Marsha (Skaggs) Waterbury.

Ellen DID perform a chilling medley of "Somewhere That's Green" and "Suddenly Seymour" on the 1998 star-studded HEY MR. PRODUCERS!: THE MUSICAL WORLD OF CAMERON MACKINTOSH tribute, which is available on DVD. The DVD was originally released in Korea (and sold abroad), hence the subtitles on this YouTube clip (the person who put the clip didn't remove the subtitles when he transfered the footage).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob3pI42auHI&feature=related

re: Ellen Greene

Hanna from Hamburg Profile Photo
Hanna from Hamburg
#13re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 12:30pm

MAN, OH MAN, OH MAN!!!! Love me some Ellen Greene!!!!

I was at the Joe's Pub concert (I think it was Valentine's Day) where Ellen and Christian performed the set (for the most part) that's on the recording. What an incredible performer and such a sweet gentle soul!!

I was right at the stage and to SEE what she puts into her performances is something to experience. You can tell she puts everything into it from that clip, but you can't fully appreciate her unless it's live.

". . . POP . . ."

JP2 Profile Photo
JP2
#14re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 12:41pm

Love this woman! No seriously, she is my everything.

LadyDramaturg2
#16re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 12:59pm

Diva just confirmed (I think) that Ellen is in the Los Angeles area now, and other than the first season appearance in "Heroes" and the aforementioned "Daisies," I haven't seen her since her appearance in the Broadway Diva Christmas a couple of years ago (which came after the In Her Eyes album, I believe) -- but at the Diva's concerts (2006 I think), she did say that she was working on new material with Christian, and planned to do some cabaret appearances in support of that.

I expected that she'd be doing those club dates in the LA area -- but you West Coast folks haven't heard from her either, I guess?

She is an incredibly earnest performer, like, you can see the steam rising around her as she sings.

TheatreDiva90016 Profile Photo
TheatreDiva90016
#17re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 1:01pm

Oh, we know her.

She just isn't doing anything we can go watch.

"TheatreDiva90016 - another good reason to frequent these boards less."<<>> “I hesitate to give this line of discussion the validation it so desperately craves by perpetuating it, but the light from logic is getting further and further away with your every successive post.” <<>> -whatever2

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#18re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 1:06pm

Ellen Greene is probably one of the most talented women ever to grace the stage.

Here's a great video of her on The Tonight Show back when the Little Shop movie was released, being interviewed and then singing Suddenly, Seymour with Michael Leslie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAhkOkUhxp8

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 12/30/08 at 01:06 PM

bwayguy22089
#19re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 2:30pm

I love that she gives her everything in a performance. She holds nothing back. It's great! re: Ellen Greene

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#20re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 3:12pm

I heard she came "this" close to being cast as Paulette in LEGALLY BLONDE.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#21re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 3:18pm

That would have been fantastic, Curtain!

ARIELT
#22re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 3:31pm

I saw her in a production at A.C.T. in San Francisco a few years ago...She was tremendous.

divarobbie2 Profile Photo
divarobbie2
#23re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 3:37pm

I want to highly recommend this album to anyone who can get it. It's a stunning mix of covers from Sarah McLaughlin to Tori Amos (with only one theatre song, as a bonus track), but all seemingly filtered through the sensibility of Audrey. It is one of my all-time favorite solo albums (and I've heard a LOT of them!).

jarretSF Profile Photo
jarretSF
#24re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 3:42pm

She also did a couple concerts a couple years back in San Francisco at Martunis, a great little piano bar between the Castro and Civic Center. She was PHENOMENAL.

Some people come into our lives and quietly go, others stay a while, and leave footprints on our heart, and we are never the same.

FindingNamo
#25re: Ellen Greene
Posted: 12/30/08 at 3:52pm

The world just doesn't see enough women performers doing covers of Alice Cooper ballads.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

Videos