News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards- Page 3

2018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards

benwilsonn.xo
#502018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 12:29pm

No Alex Newell! Can’t believe that, great for Kenita Miller though! Well deserved!

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#512018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 12:33pm

At least People Places and Things and Yerma got some love, finally. Both should be on Broadway. Such a weak year for new plays too. 

Trish2
#532018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 1:03pm

And no love for the Drama Desk host, Michael Urie, who appeared in both TORCH SONG  and THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR?!?  He was great in both!

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#542018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 1:06pm

Trish2 said: "And no love for the Drama Desk host, Michael Urie, who appeared in both TORCH SONG and THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR?!?He was great in both!"

Yeah, that's ridiculous. He should be in there over Paul Sparks and James McArdle, who are really featured.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

Patty3
#552018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 1:10pm

Broadway Joe said: "I had no idea there was a "Outstanding Fight Choreography" category lol that's amazing"

I read this too fast and thought it said Outstanding FLIGHT Choreography - I was hoping for a Lisa Howard nomination :)

When the headline says "Carousel and Spongebob Lead the Pack" I give up all hope!

Updated On: 4/26/18 at 01:10 PM

JayG  2 Profile Photo
JayG 2
#562018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 1:10pm

LaChanse???? What is that all about?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#572018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 1:31pm

Urie should have been nominated but not to the exclusion of Sparks who gave one of the great performances of the year.

The critics awards (and I include all 3 in that) are all wack, inexplicable and illegitimate. It's time to retire them all but it won't happen. Producers can sell a few tickets off of them, and actors and creatives love them for their résumés. 

HunterK Profile Photo
HunterK
#582018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 1:41pm

The only one I am very happy about is Kate Rockwell for Mean Girls. She is a gem! Beyond hysterical in the role. I am so glad she was recognized! 

Everything else is a cluster F! 

Updated On: 4/26/18 at 01:41 PM

Impossible2
#592018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 1:43pm

little_sally said: "Trish2 said: "And no love for the Drama Desk host, Michael Urie, who appeared in both TORCH SONG and THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR?!?He was great in both!"

Yeah, that's ridiculous. He should be in there over James McArdle.

"

no x

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#602018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 2:16pm

Impossible2 said: "little_sally said: "Trish2 said: "And no love for the Drama Desk host, Michael Urie, who appeared in both TORCH SONG and THE GOVERNMENT INSPECTOR?!?He was great in both!"

Yeah, that's ridiculous. He should be in there over James McArdle.

"

no x
"

I meant that James McArdle (and Paul Sparks) should've been nominated but as Featured.

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

broadfan327
#612018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 2:49pm

Could the lack of love for Harry Potter be that the group of nominators are not familiar with any of the HP story and did not understand what is going on?  I asked in the HP thread if I have no exposure to anything HP, would I enjoy it, and the response I saw was a lot would go over my head.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#622018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 2:49pm

No Ambrose, Butz, Yeargan, and Holder nominations for My Fair Lady? These awards are wack!

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#632018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 2:51pm

broadfan327 said: "Could the lack of love for Harry Potter be that the group of nominators are not familiar with any of the HP storyand did not understand what is going on? I asked in the HP thread if I have no exposure to anything HP, would I enjoy it, and the response I saw was a lot would go over my head."

That's a really good question and one I cannot answer as I used to live and breathe Harry Potter back in the day. I just attributed it to pure snottiness on behalf of those 8 people choosing the nominees for the Drama Desk awards.

BroadwayBen
#642018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 3:02pm

There is no world, no universe where the members of The Broadway League or The Theatre Wing would allow the words "The Best Musical goes to SpongeBob Squarepants" be spoken on the stage of Radio City Music Hall.  That world doesn't exist.   At all. 

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#652018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 3:09pm

^In the universe in which Band's Visit does not exist, best musical SpongeBob SquarePants would in fact be very possible in this strange season. But alas, THAT universe does not exist, so in that case nor does that possibility.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#662018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 3:10pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "I just attributed it to pure snottiness on behalf of those 8 people choosing the nominees for the Drama Desk awards."

That's uncalled for. Just as people here differ on shows because they honestly like or dislike them, so too these nominators have reactions that may not align with yours. But it is not snottiness. If you spent about 15 minutes looking at the output of the nominators, I think you would know that. I guess Scotty really doesn't know (1 or 2).

MadsonMelo
#672018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 3:13pm

So, Park has now two nominations over her co-stars. Can we actually see Mean Girls with 3 acting noms or Weed/Rockwell will fall short of the Tony love?

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#682018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 3:21pm

HogansHero said: "ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "I just attributed it to pure snottiness on behalf of those 8 people choosing the nominees for the Drama Desk awards."

That'suncalled for. Just as people here differ on shows because they honestly like or dislike them, so too these nominators have reactions that may not align with yours. But it is not snottiness. If you spent about 15 minutes looking at the output of the nominators, I think you would know that. I guess Scotty really doesn't know (1 or 2).
"

So defensive over a comment that isn't that serious and was meant in jest. I guess only you can make assumptions and play know-it-all in a thread.

Updated On: 4/26/18 at 03:21 PM

brian1973
#692018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 3:25pm

Harry Potter is NOT a great or even good play. It’s an event yes, and exciting to watch, but it’s not good writing.

the folks at Frozen must be feeling VERY sore !!

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#702018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 3:28pm

Counting down the SECONDS until this season is over...

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#712018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 3:29pm

brian1973 said: "Harry Potter is NOT a great or even good play. It’s an event yes, and exciting to watch, but it’s not good writing.

the folks at Frozen must be feeling VERY sore !!
"

I do agree with that. That's why I asked in the other thread if this is something that is better seen live because I disliked reading the play. Again, I was joking with the snottiness factor because it reminded me of the Oscars when some complained the HP series were snubbed for Oscar nominations.

I do wish Yerma received more nominations but I am happy Billie Piper was recognized unlike at the OCC.

Dolly80
#722018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 4:45pm

I’d fully expect Billie Piper to run away with this award.. a spectacular performance

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#732018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 5:06pm

All this hate in the direction the very well-deserved nominations for SpongeBob probably should piss me off, but I find it all delicious.

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#742018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 6:26pm

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2 said: "So defensive over a comment that isn't that serious and was meant in jest. I guess only you can make assumptions and play know-it-all in a thread."

I don't know how I can be defensive about something that does not relate to me. I also don't see what assumptions you were making; it sounded like a simple statement of your opinion (that I thought out of line). There are no know-it-alls when it comes to opinions (unless disagreeing with you is somehow verboten). Now you tell me you were just joking. I can accept that. 

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#752018 Drama Desk Nominations & Awards
Posted: 4/26/18 at 6:48pm

TFMH18 said: "^In the universe in which Band's Visit does not exist, best musical SpongeBob SquarePants would in fact be very possible in this strange season. But alas, THAT universe does not exist, so in that case nor does that possibility."

Isn't Band's Visit ineligible because it was nominated when it was Off-Broadway last season?

Videos